Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamiya 1/16 Full Option Kits

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamiya 1/16 Full Option Kits

Do the following kits require painting or will they look like they do in the pictures without any paint work?

1/16 Scale US M1A2 Abrams Heavy Tank Full Option from Tamiya - KIT - TAM56041 Version Info: This tank is in "KIT" form and requires your own 4 Channel radio, receiver, ESC, charger and battery to run. (See Requires below for information). This large-scale, Big Tank Series R/C model assembly kit recreates the formidable

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Originally posted by xargsgrep View Post
    Do the following kits require painting or will they look like they do in the pictures without any paint work?

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...heavy-tank-kit

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...heavy-tank-kit
    You have to paint them yourself they are NOT RTR. Tamiya tanks come in 1000 pieces that have to be assembled into a tank. Not kidding about the 1000 pieces especially for the Abrams.

Tamiya tanks are superbly engineered and when built correctly very robust. They are not hard to build IF you have prior model building and RC car/truck experience.

Take a look at “Tamiya 1/16 Centurion Build” thread and you will get some idea of what is involved to build a Tamiya tank.

Comment

Thanks, yeah I'm aware that it is a kit. I have built models before and I want a tank kit that I can build from scratch, however I have zero paint experience so I just want to do the building part. So do these kits just come with a solid base color without any sort of paint scheme?

Comment

Thanks, yeah I'm aware that it is a kit. I have built models before and I want a tank kit that I can build from scratch, however I have zero paint experience so I just want to do the building part. So do these kits just come with a solid base color without any sort of paint scheme?
        The Abrams will come in tan plastic and the JS2 in green plastic. With care during the build phase and decaling the tank will still look decent. Running in some dry dust dirt will take care of the plastic shine rather quickly and add some natural weathering to the tank.

Comment

Tamiya also has the spray cans for the right color of your tank. The two tanks you chose can be painted with one color which is more simple. For the Abram, I would spray the wheels first before putting the tires on. You should put a coat of primer on first though. And if you are going to drive it outdoor, you should put a layer of dullcote on to protect it. Have fun building!

Comment

I see. So if I did want to take a crack at painting do I need any painting tools like an airbrush or can I do everything with the Tamiya spray cans only?

Comment

For many American and Russian tanks, they only have 1 color. So you should be ok with the spray can. The Tamiya instruction might tell you to get 2 to 3 more paint bottles for the tools, machine gun and cables. For those, you might need a paint brush and a bottle Tamiya paint thinner. If your local hobby shop doesn’t have them, I think you can order all from MotionRC too,

Comment

Consider looking on youtube for videos from “hpiguy” who builds up Atalantis re-pops of Aurora tanks in simple mono color schemes.

Comment

I finally started the build for the Abrams and loving it so far. I also decided that I'll make an attempt at a custom camo scheme with an airbrush since I think it'll be fun. Had a couple questions:

1. Should I complete the assembly with electronics and everything and then paint it at the very end or should I paint it first and then assemble?

2. I have a Spektrum DX8 which I use for my helis and planes but I assume that's not gonna work for the Abrams. What transmitter and receiver can I get for it (preferably the most basic one)?

3. What ESC can I use? The one suggested on MotionRC doesn't seem to be available.

Comment

I finally started the build for the Abrams and loving it so far. I also decided that I'll make an attempt at a custom camo scheme with an airbrush since I think it'll be fun. Had a couple questions:

1. Should I complete the assembly with electronics and everything and then paint it at the very end or should I paint it first and then assemble?

2. I have a Spektrum DX8 which I use for my helis and planes but I assume that's not gonna work for the Abrams. What transmitter and receiver can I get for it (preferably the most basic one)?

3. What ESC can I use? The one suggested on MotionRC doesn't seem to be available.
                    Your DX8 will work fine with your Tamiya Abrams I run mine with a DX8.

You don’t need an ESC with the Tamiya Abrams it is incorporated into the electronics that come with the tank.

I tend to fully build my tanks before painting but there is no set rule of thumb just whatever works for you.

Comment

For most of my Tamiya tanks, I assembled them first. The rubber tires and tools were set aside. I painted the tank. I weathered the wheels, put on the rubber tires, and the tracks. Then I weathered the rest of the tank. The tools were last, of course.

I have a Spektrum DX-9. I used it on all my Tamiya tanks too, except one that came with the Tamiya transmitter. I don't own the Tamiya Abrams. But I think it should be the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1565A.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	353276

Comment

Glad I can use my DX8. What receiver do you guys use with your DX8/DX9? Will something like this be fine https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...SPMSR515.html? Wondering if there's anything cheaper that will work fine.

Comment

Glad I can use my DX8. What receiver do you guys use with your DX8/DX9? Will something like this be fine https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...SPMSR515.html? Wondering if there's anything cheaper that will work fine.
                          If you look at my picture of the DX-9 that I posted yesterday, you can see the two receivers I put on top of the transmitter. Those are some of the kinds I use. If you need one, pm me and I can send one to you.

Comment

Thanks, I've got some more questions.

1. I noticed the receivers in your pictures but wasn't sure if you can actually use them on your tanks since they are aircraft receivers. I see a 7 channel and an 8 channel. The manual for the Tamiya Abrams says only a 4 channel is required, or is that just for the basic operations? How many channels are needed for all the operations? I would think at least 6 are needed for 1) forward/reverse 2) left/right 3) turret left/right 4) turret up/down 5) turret fire 6) machine gun fire. This is my first time so I could be completely off.

2. What model type do you use for tanks on the DX9 since you can only select aircraft types?

3. The manual for the Abrams requires using "synthetic rubber cement" in certain places. What glue is that exactly, would something like shoe goo work?

Comment

Shoe goo works very well in my experience.

Comment

Correct! The basic operation only needs 4 channels. I added more features into my tanks so I used 6 channels. I got a tank from a friend and he installed 8 channels for me (extra lights). I think any receiver that is DSM or DSMX would work with the Spektrum DX. I just test by binding the receiver to the transmitter. Then plug the pins in accordingly to the MFU.

I did not select "Model type". I went straight to "Model select", bound with the receiver and named my tanks.

Comment

Ok makes sense I think. Also, how do you deal with the DX9 throttle stick on your tanks since it doesn't self center?

Comment

Ok makes sense I think. Also, how do you deal with the DX9 throttle stick on your tanks since it doesn't self center?
                                    You change the gimbal to self-center by relieving the tension bar from inside. I keep sperate Tx's for ground vs. air.

Comment

I see, I was hoping to use a single transmitter for both air and ground but I guess that won't be very convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                                        Correct! The basic operation only needs 4 channels.
                                        Just to clarify, how many channels would I need to be able to use all the features including stuff like turret firing, machine gun firing, lights, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                        X