X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make this 88 battle ready.

Any ideas how to make this gun battle ready on the cheap. I own a few of Haoji's accessories like the pillbox and the target. I have an IR bulb in the barrel. What could make it Tayima compatible for cheap?
    Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

It is a neat idea. How do you envision it being used? Will a person be running it ? An immobile but pivoting gun might be an ideal intro for someone inexperienced in rc tank battles to start off running. Or, will it run on its own, firing random shots over a predetermined arc?

Comment

Someone will fire it. David already gave me some options about using a 6.0 or Higher HL board from left over tank builds. To make it turn I might need to get a turret ring and motor set up to make it work with the HL boards. It will have a apple to take it out. I will build a bunker for it.

Comment

Excellent idea. I suspect a fair number of people have spare boards, etc they could repurpose for something like this. I know I do. I will be following your progress eagerly.

Comment

I have designed an idea of using my 105 Howitzer combined with my halftrack for just such an IR battle piece on the field.
          There are things that must be considered before one builds something like this.

1 if it is to be automated it must be able to be knocked out by a specific number of hits, 1-2 depending on a club leadership consensus.
          building it automated is quite easy to get a Legodei mine system and hack it up and mount it into your emplaned ordnance.

2 if it is to be manually fired, it still has to be knocked out but it doesn’t really require a hit count shut down sensor, it can me manually counted, 1 flash 2 flash your out.
          but, making a manually fired one does require a combination of radio system and receiver etc. it just has to be monitored and operated by a person not driving a tank.

3, I want to build my howitzer as indirect fire. My plan which was tacitly approved of for LA tank, was to have the howizter powered by the halftrack, the howitzer merely had an orange flash bulb and speaker. The operator would be standing behind it in the rear area of the field with a hand held firing device like an old video game gun, and would fire long distance at tanks on the other side of the field. This would simulate indirect fire from a howitzer, which is and was heavily used against armor. Now, to make this fair, the howitzer operator does not just get to pick his targets, they after all cannot see the battlefield often from their position.
          There would be one tanker operating as forward artillery observer on the field. That tanker would have to call in fire on tanks that they spot. Reload time would be something like 10 seconds. Once the forward observer tank is knocked out or the artillery piece itself is knocked out, the artillery is out of the battle.

it’s a complicated idea that would take some play to tweak the rules and make work but it adds some other aspects just like mines and an ambush direct fire piece on the field.

If you build something like this just be sure to test it out at home and see how it works before bringing it to the field to test but it would be really cool to have some things like this on our battlefield.
          RC tank parts and accessories I make
          www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

105 mm Indirect fire is interesting but, especially for WW2, is pretty ineffective against tanks. Pretty much needing a direct hit, which is likely well less than one in a thousand.
            It would be great against infantry but no one seems to have come up with a way to add infantry to IR battles.

Comment

RC Tanks Australia MAKO20SA Standalone Unit [MAKO20SA] - FREE WORLDWIDE  SHIPPING Introducing the our best battlefield accessory, MAKO Standalone. Now you can add to your battlefield, bunkers, machine gun emplacements, panzerfaust/bazooka soldiers, even mines. MAKO20SA can be operated by remote control, trip switch or BOTH. Plus all cannon fire, explosion and user FX sounds are 100% user changeable and

Comment

That is what this is for. I will use the Pillbox as the hit counter for the 88. Should be 5 hits for a kill so prehit it 3 times for a two shot kill. Plus the gun can't move.

Comment

Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
                  That is what this is for. I will use the Pillbox as the hit counter for the 88. Should be 5 hits for a kill. Plus the gun can't move.
                  Five hit for a kill will not go over well so you have to make sure it is set before each game. You are asking for issues if you forget and it goes for more then 2 hits.

What you are doing has been done before by many people and it is a cool novelty, but rarely works in practice and is quickly removed from game play.

LegoDEI has a number of fixed systems that work reasonably well but are almost never used. Most tankers find them more a detractor then anything else. People want to fight tank on tank especially at the LA club because it is just to small of a location for anything else. Now San Diego is a completely different story and fixed position work much better there as the field is huge and allows for a wider range of play styles.

Comment

Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
                    That is what this is for. I will use the Pillbox as the hit counter for the 88. Should be 5 hits for a kill so prehit it 3 times for a two shot kill. Plus the gun can't move.
                    Doesn’t the LegoDEI anti tank mine have a minimum hit value of two hits? Could that be used instead of the pillbox?

Comment

Made more progress. Had a tough time getting the IR light inside. I scratched it up a bit trying to push it down the carriage hole I made. I finally gave up and broke off the end of the rail to get it inside. Not sure if the scratches effect it that much. next is mount a recoil servo. Not sure how that will work on a Heng long radio MFU as I don't own one and am waiting for David to lend me one.

Comment

The HL TK 6.0S doesn’t have the recoil feature. The HL 6.1S does. I have both. I will bring both for you.

Comment

What kind of connector should I put on the IR and the recoil?

Comment

Here are the boards with the diagrams. I don't know the names of these connectors. CN15 for the IR emitter and CN7 for the recoil servo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67297.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	343575

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	343576Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	343577

Name:	image_61515.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	343578

Comment

JST-XH connector double socket Has anyone tried a regular servo into one of these. Obviously, you would need an adapter. My guess is it won't work.

Comment

The president of the LA tank club has an IR battle 88 AT. I asked him and he stated that he would bring it to the May battle. If you don't mind the wait, you can observe the set up on his AT that day.

Comment

I found only one JST-XH connector in my box of junk. I guess I can connect that to the IR bulb to get it going.

Comment

David and I tested it on one of his Heng Long transmitter and MFU and it technically works. IR and Muzzle flash work even though there is a tank engine in the back ground. Just have to figure out how to get the rotation done now.

Comment

GREAT STUFF!!!!

Comment

Made some nice progress. I was able to completely conceal the 180 degree turning servo in the base. Now I don't have to make some platform for the gun. Now working on the IR bulb which was so powerful it would go off in every direction. I ground down the IR bulb to fit it into a brass tube.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X