X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pricetag on tanks?

Hi All: I'm not really a "tank" guy, but do appreciate the exquisite detail and capabilities of these armored vehicles. I might like to buy one someday, maybe a Sherman, just to have around the house to play around with.

I'm wondering about the pricing of these tanks from the various manufacturers. They vary tremendously in price, especially the Tamiya brand tanks. What makes these so much more expensive than some other brands that to me in the pictures look very nicely detailed, too? I'm familiar with Tamiya through their plastic models, and I would consider that brand my favorite and best.

Appreciate any input from anybody on this subject.

Thanks so much,

Davegee

Originally posted by davegee View Post
    Hi All: I'm not really a "tank" guy, but do appreciate the exquisite detail and capabilities of these armored vehicles. I might like to buy one someday, maybe a Sherman, just to have around the house to play around with.

I'm wondering about the pricing of these tanks from the various manufacturers. They vary tremendously in price, especially the Tamiya brand tanks. What makes these so much more expensive than some other brands that to me in the pictures look very nicely detailed, too? I'm familiar with Tamiya through their plastic models, and I would consider that brand my favorite and best.

Appreciate any input from anybody on this subject.

Thanks so much,

Davegee
    The price difference comes largely from the excellent engineering, fit, durability and detail that Tamiya puts into their tanks. Tamiya tanks are kits that require assembly and are best suited for those with both model building and RC experience.

Unfortunately Tamiya no longer produces the Sherman or its M51 variant.

To bring a Heng Long or Torro/Taigen up to the level of running that matches a Tamiya tanks in electrics and smoothness of operation typically requires one spend (in total; tank+upgrades) what they would have spent on simply buying a Tamiya.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

The price difference comes largely from the excellent engineering, fit, durability and detail that Tamiya puts into their tanks. Tamiya tanks are kits that require assembly and are best suited for those with both model building and RC experience.

Unfortunately Tamiya no longer produces the Sherman or its M51 variant.

To bring a Heng Long or Torro/Taigen up to the level of running that matches a Tamiya tanks in electrics and smoothness of operation typically requires one spend (in total; tank+upgrades) what they would have spent on simply buying a Tamiya.
      Thanks, Rubicon99. From my past experience with Tamiya plastic kits, mostly WWII airplanes, I can appreciate how well done they make their tank models. Having said that, I probably won't sink $1k into a Tamiya tank, but might invest in one of the other nice looking tanks, just to have around. They really look great!

Comment

Thanks, Rubicon99. From my past experience with Tamiya plastic kits, mostly WWII airplanes, I can appreciate how well done they make their tank models. Having said that, I probably won't sink $1k into a Tamiya tank, but might invest in one of the other nice looking tanks, just to have around. They really look great!
        With a good paint job and some added detail parts a Heng Long can look like a $1000 Tamiya and will drive rather well right out of the box. When you have time take a look at the Tank Photo Gallery section. The majority of the tanks are Heng Long. You are also welcome to take a look at my Instagram @ Fsttanks . Again the majority are Heng Long tanks with little more then new paint, weathering and some added detail parts.

Comment

Heng Long are a great value and come ready to run out of the box. The offer multiple paint schemes on some of them too. They also have different levels of upgrades. For the house the less expansive “plastic” version is probably what you want.

Comment

I personally think that Tamiya tanks are not that really expensive. If I remember correctly.... when I bought my 1st 1/16 Tamiya King tiger back in 1994, it was already $500. After all those years, the KT is now at $800 price tag (shipping included) with 2 great transmissions inside. That's a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              Heng Long are a great value and come ready to run out of the box. The offer multiple paint schemes on some of them too. They also have different levels of upgrades. For the house the less expansive “plastic” version is probably what you want.
              Thanks, Evan. As a relatively inexpensive intro into this part of the hobby, the Heng Long Sherman looks like it would fit the bill for me. If I get into it more in time, I can go some of the more upgraded manufacturers' tanks. All this looks like a lot of fun.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Soon you’ll have 2, 3 or more… My wife now runs my Abrams, it’s her tank and she’s pretty darn good with her targeting!

Comment

Right! When I was a kid, we played "army" and they had some tanks that were remote control, with a cable attached from the tank to the control box, but it was still great. It had a couple of levers on the top of the turret where you could fire some "harmless" plastic shells at your buddies or some target. I can still see that tank in my mind, now! But these tanks today, man, they are absolutely incredible, all of them! I think that Heng Long Sherman is a great starting point for me. I think it is currently out of stock, but once it comes back, I think I'll get one to play with. How fun!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

A good place to buy is from Toucan on Ebay. Great prices and support. They go by a number of different names on Ebay, if you see location of Cranbury NJ it's them.

1/16 Scale Henglong 7.0 Plastic Version M4A3 Sherman RTR 2.4G RC Tank 3898 Model | eBay

Comment

A good place to buy is from Toucan on Ebay. Great prices and support. They go by a number of different names on Ebay, if you see location of Cranbury NJ it's them.

1/16 Scale Henglong 7.0 Plastic Version M4A3 Sherman RTR 2.4G RC Tank 3898 Model | eBay
                      Thanks! I'll check it out!

davegee

Comment

When you feel comfortable, you can also order from Toucan Hobby directly, from their website. They can send items from their Cranbury location if it is in the US. You can also order custom setups, but those will usually come from China. You can order parts from them too. I've bought two sets of metal tracks to upgrade a plastic tank this way. Of course, use Paypal to protect yourself, but I've not had any problems.

toucanhobby@outlook.com
                        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                          When you feel comfortable, you can also order from Toucan Hobby directly, from their website. They can send items from their Cranbury location if it is in the US. You can also order custom setups, but those will usually come from China. You can order parts from them too. I've bought two sets of metal tracks to upgrade a plastic tank this way. Of course, use Paypal to protect yourself, but I've not had any problems.

toucanhobby@outlook.com
                          Thanks, SoCal BobS: Motion is currently out of stock with the Heng Long Sherman tank (plastic) so I put in a bid on EBay for one from Toucan for about $119. The bid closes in about 9 hours so I'll see if I get the win, or not. If not, I'll contact Toucan directly. I see what you mean about future upgrades. I would definitely like to do at least metal tracks versus the plastic ones, and some others, too. This is my very first foray into model tanks. Looking forward to getting one!

Comment

Toucan bids are not like one of a kind normal Ebay items. They have a bunch of these things and if you entered their bid number they will come back pretty quick accepting it. In addition to Bobs info Toucan is also on Amazon and other site too. You can also email them and make offers. That is what I do, Email a offer for in item priced as shipped with shipping and tax. I have gotten some killer deals, especially if ordering multiple tanks at a time.

Comment

Toucan bids are not like one of a kind normal Ebay items. They have a bunch of these things and if you entered their bid number they will come back pretty quick accepting it. In addition to Bobs info Toucan is also on Amazon and other site too. You can also email them and make offers. That is what I do, Email a offer for in item priced as shipped with shipping and tax. I have gotten some killer deals, especially if ordering multiple tanks at a time.
                              Good deal. I'm committed to the EBay offer of $119 for the Sherman until it expires in a few hours. If I don't win that bid, I'll check out Toucan itself to try a bid. If I get another tank someday, I'll probably just go directly to Toucan, as you suggested.

Appreciate the tip!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

Oh... The people at Toucan are, for the most part, in China so there are time zone/ weekend differences.

Comment

Thanks, SoCal BobS: Motion is currently out of stock with the Heng Long Sherman tank (plastic) so I put in a bid on EBay for one from Toucan for about $119. The bid closes in about 9 hours so I'll see if I get the win, or not. If not, I'll contact Toucan directly. I see what you mean about future upgrades. I would definitely like to do at least metal tracks versus the plastic ones, and some others, too. This is my very first foray into model tanks. Looking forward to getting one!
                                  If it is a static model it won't have the transmitter. $119 sounds like a static model. Transmitters from Heng Long are cheap, but better MFU controllers are much more expensive. Play with the model first before jumping into upgrades if your battling. My 1st tank a HL Panzer III I upgraded during the pandemic to the hilt. Later after battling I realized a lot of the upgrades weren't necessary to have a decent tank and have fun. A better IR receiver will make any Heng Long better for battle. All the other stuff is debatable. Depends on the model.
                                  Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

I put the $119 link above. It’s a RTR 7.0…

Comment

I put the $119 link above. It’s a RTR 7.0…
                                      Do you happen to know any differences of the 7.0 vs the 6.0 that I think I saw advertised on MRC? (which is also out of stock).

Comment

Others have posted but when Motion gets any they will have 7.0’s too… Toucan is the big player in H-L.

Comment

Working...
                                        X