You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does a Heng Long machine gun score hits?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a Heng Long machine gun score hits?

With a Heng Long tank, if one holds down the mg button for a few seconds, it seems that an IR flash is emitted and a hit can be scored.

I have some detail questions about this. I presume the main gun's IR circuit gets activated after the 5 seconds or so that the mg button is pressed. If yes, is the strength and duration of that IR flash the same as when it is fired by the main gun?

I ask this because there is a set of Thingiverse STL files for a 1/16 scale Flakpanzer IV Kugelblitz mobile anti-aircraft gun. The designer 's files include a complete tank, but I'm assessing the feasibility of taking a HL Pz IV and modifying it for this. I'd put an IR bulb in a "non-scale" short tube in between the two scale barrels and use the mg circuit to fire the IR flash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kugelblitz 03.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	344834
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Bob were did you find that on Thingiverse? l looked and couldn't find it
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
      With a Heng Long tank, if one holds down the mg button for a few seconds, it seems that an IR flash is emitted and a hit can be scored.

I have some detail questions about this. I presume the main gun's IR circuit gets activated after the 5 seconds or so that the mg button is pressed. If yes, is the strength and duration of that IR flash the same as when it is fired by the main gun?

I ask this because there is a set of Thingiverse STL files for a 1/16 scale Flakpanzer IV Kugelblitz mobile anti-aircraft gun. The designer 's files include a complete tank, but I'm assessing the feasibility of taking a HL Pz IV and modifying it for this. I'd put an IR bulb in a "non-scale" short tube in between the two scale barrels and use the mg circuit to fire the IR flash.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kugelblitz 03.jpg Views:	9 Size:	71.8 KB ID:	344834
      The MG flashes the same signal as when the main gun fires via the same IR bulb. It can fire the signal much faster because the “recoil” sequence is bypassed when it fires. The MG can fire ~twice as fast as the main gun (without airsoft).

Because it fires the same signal it can score hits on HL and Tamiya protocol tanks. Several people have used it for AA guns and such.

Because it fires so much faster it was/is typically not allowed to be used by tanks with cannons to score hits on other tanks. But used in the light armored vehicles roll that only has heavy MGs it is allowed.

The only issues would be the number of hit it could take before being killed. Usually 2 is acceptable, so to use it you would have to “put” 4 hits on the HL system prior to a battle.

All you need to do is wire the IR bulb in the same manner as you would to the main gun. To fire it just press the MG button. There is no reload time “rule” per day, but I would try to keep the burst to 5-8 seconds. That would be about 3-5 bulb pulses and would almost certainly guarantee a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
        Bob were did you find that on Thingiverse? l e looked and couldn't find it
        Thanks
        Go there and search “kugelblitz”. The designer is mkdescg. He has a full differential steering system, but the turret’s enough for me!

Comment

Thank you!
          Funny story I had that in my collection a while ago. I use the bits and pieces for parts for some of the other IV's like a Jagdpanzer steel wheels, Lots of little bits to add to the detail of a tank and are hard to get here in the US.

Comment

Related question; which HL boards have multiple machine gun sounds? My 7.0 board does....any others?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
              Related question; which HL boards have multiple machine gun sounds? My 7.0 board does....any others?
              The 6 does too but it is associated with the engine sound you select.

Comment

Oh yeah! How 'bout that.

Comment

Interesting...

I just received a Heng Long PzKpfw IV/F2 to use for my Kugelblitz project.. Having bought HL's over a period of many years, I was interested in some mods they added. Biggest was the placement of the on/off switch under the left hand forward hatch - no more turning over! The gears, which I assume are plastic, have grey plastic shrouds over them. The smoker is of the newer fan type, no loud pumps. The radio equipment is 7.0 version, so only two motor sounds - not a biggie. It came from Cranbury NJ for $139 including shipping. Not bad.

Comment

Great info to know.

Comment

Working...
                    X