X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterketten

I'm contemplating a project. I have a PzKpfw IV that I'd like to winterize, even though Southern California doesn't have any...winter, that is! Basically, a washable white with chipping treatment. What I have is a Heng Long Panzer IV with metal tracks, idlers and sprockets. My question is, do the Torro/Taigen Wihterketten tracks fit on my tank, and if not, what could be done to make them work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	346453

Name:	Panzer IV 04.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	346454
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

I have the HL Panzer III that I installed the Toro winter tracks on. I used the HL metal sprockets and the teeth on the links of the Toro tracks fitted just fine. I kept the plastic HL idlers and wheels on the tank. The links of the tracks for panzer III and panzer IV are the same as you already know. So you will be fine.

Name:	IMG_0266A.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	346460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265A.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	346461

Comment

The winter tracks were great when I played my panzer III in LA last week. It was the first time I brought it to the battle. It really ran and climbed well. It left big track marks on the dirt that similar to those big medium tanks :-)

Name:	IMG_0184.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	346464

Comment

Cool(!) Thanks David. I'm committed now!

Before:

Name:	Panzer IV 04.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	346467

After:

Name:	Panzer IV 07.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	346468

Comment

Bob....Nice winter camouflage covering the gray/yellow. If you miss your "before" paint scheme, I can loan you mine to battle :-) And if possible, please rotate the muzzle brake 90 degrees, lol.

Name:	IMG_0269A.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	346475Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270A.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	346476

Comment

I would go with the metal idler wheel for sure if you put metal tracks on. It has a bearing in it and can stand up to the metal tracks use.
            I do have one German tank, a panzer 3 which I battled twice. The plastic idler wheels split apart and rolled away in the second battle.
            RC tank parts and accessories I make
            www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Great looking Panzers gentlemen. I still have a PanzerIV project. David I like your camo scheme. What is the color you used?

Comment

Originally posted by 761st View Post
                Great looking Panzers gentlemen. I still have a PanzerIV project. David I like your camo scheme. What is the color you used?
                Thanks! I use Tamiya German Grey XF-63. For the yellow, I found that the Tamiya dark yellow XF-60 was too light and it looked similar to mustard. The desert yellow XF-59 was too dark. So I decided to mix those 2 together 1:1 ratio. I paint all my German tanks with this mix.

Name:	IMG_0279.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	346503

Comment

Here are the 3 yellow colors for comparison: left: is desert yellow; right is dark yellow; middle is the mix. Hope you can see the differences :-)

Name:	IMG_0280A.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	346505

Comment

Thanks David. You saved me a lot of trial and error. Yes. That is a great looking group of Panzers! There are subtle hue/tone differences.I like the artificial turf. That is on the list for my diorama.

Comment

Well, I got them....

...but I don't know how practical they will be in a rough terrain battle. I know R & R advised having metal gearboxes, sprockets and idlers. I have those on the tank I installed them on. What I found is that in the soft dirt, on turns their edges can dig in and put stress on the road wheels and bogies. Two bogies have broken, and those are already metal, but the pot metal type. Unlike tanks with simpler, more robust suspension, M41 for instance, the Pz IV components are smaller and more fragile. Kinda like the real thing, huh!

On hard ground, pavement or going straight, they're ok, but my jungle trail test track exposed this weakness.

Looks good, though!

Name:	Panzer IV 11.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	346889

Comment

Bummer to hear that. Those panzer 4s have little bogies. What brand was the tank/ bogies? I can’t imagine taigen bogies breaking, not sure what HL offers. Mato metal tanks are very brittle zamac. I learned that from the mato Sherman. Parts literally broke apart from shipping.
                        RC tank parts and accessories I make
                        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Working...
                        X