X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need Torro rc tank opinion

bought two Heng Long tanks with metal upgrades about two weeks ago. both were garbage and had to be returned. looking at a Torro Tiger late edition pro model. mostly for display and a few light runs around the driveway, have to show off the muzzle flash and both barrel and full tank recoil! again, nothing real rough, just running it to show off, then back on the shelf. i need to know if Torro tanks (pro editions) are top quality, unlike the lemons from HG. looking to purchase from MotionRC. any help is appreciated.

From what I know, only Toro/Tagen makes the reasonable and affordable Tiger I late model. If that is the tank you want, then you kinda stuck with it. Every company has its positives and negatives. For me, I just bought what was available and upgraded or changed to how I wanted. If you ask for top quality, most products from China are not, and so is the Toro tank. It is better than the HL, of course; but more expensive. It still has the cheap looking RC transmitter similar to HL. You can modify to switch the transmitter. You need to go with the Tamiya if you want better quality tank. But they don't make the late model Tiger I. MHO!

I am happy with my Toro Tiger I tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7400A.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	349024

Comment

thanks. i think i'll buy something else.

Comment

Hope I did not steer you away from our RC tank hobby :-) The 1/16 scale RC tanks have improved significantly since the early 2000. I am happy with what all the manufactures have produced

Comment

i just dont want another piece of @#!% like i had to return after only three days. they really look nice, but for all the problems i read about, i'm not going through that again.
          thanks.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, which HL tanks did you get, and what problems did you experience?

Comment

i bought the Tiger 1 with metal upgrades (wheels, tracks, suspension, idle wheels, sprocket wheels, and steel gear box). i also bought an Abrama 1A with the same upgrades plus a metal gun barrel.
              the Tiger 1 had pieces missing, just some plastic accessories, but still incomplete. ran it in my driveway for about 10 minutes each time, and very gingerally. third time out (day three of ownership) the sound effects completely quit, the gun turret started making loud clicking noises when rotating (not sound effects but something from inside). very annoying and not what i paid for.
              the Abrams was just not what i ordered. the gun turret was supposed to be 360 degrees and was not, it also made the same clicking sound as the Tiger tank. The barrel was plastic and it was supposed to be metal. the tracks on the rear of one side rubbed against the tank body.
              i wanted it for mostly display, they do look awesome, but i needed it to work flawlessly the few times a month i need to show it off. in a nut shell, garbage.
              i was looking at a Torro, but i dont want to do the "ship my tank back and forth" again. i think i'll stick with building the 1/35 plastic models.

Comment

Originally posted by robert1488 View Post
                i bought the Tiger 1 with metal upgrades (wheels, tracks, suspension, idle wheels, sprocket wheels, and steel gear box). i also bought an Abrama 1A with the same upgrades plus a metal gun barrel.
                the Tiger 1 had pieces missing, just some plastic accessories, but still incomplete. ran it in my driveway for about 10 minutes each time, and very gingerally. third time out (day three of ownership) the sound effects completely quit, the gun turret started making loud clicking noises when rotating (not sound effects but something from inside). very annoying and not what i paid for.
                the Abrams was just not what i ordered. the gun turret was supposed to be 360 degrees and was not, it also made the same clicking sound as the Tiger tank. The barrel was plastic and it was supposed to be metal. the tracks on the rear of one side rubbed against the tank body.
                i wanted it for mostly display, they do look awesome, but i needed it to work flawlessly the few times a month i need to show it off. in a nut shell, garbage.
                i was looking at a Torro, but i dont want to do the "ship my tank back and forth" again. i think i'll stick with building the 1/35 plastic models.
                This all sounds like operator error and or not truly understand how these tanks work. Tanks are rather complex and there is a steep learn curve to understanding what it takes to run one well.

HL tanks as a hole are excellent entry level tanks and are priced accordingly making them a good place to learn the ins and outs. You could step up to the big leagues and buy an excellently engineered Tamiya RC tank kit, but even then I don’t think you would be happy because if you are finding a HL challenging a Tamiya will be way over your head.

Comment

it wasnt challenging, there were broken. nothing for $300+ should breakdown after a forward/backward/shoot the gun a few times test run. anyway, a Tamiya is way out of my league.
                  i need a high quality tank that works the 3-4 times i use it a month. i was looking at a Torro pro edition. i dont want to do repairs for something that basically sits on the self. and when i say i use it, i mean for 5-10 minutes a week. for the $500+ i need something that will continue working for a long time. like my fridge and a/c.

Comment

dont want to give up just yet, there has to be something for $500-$600 that is what i am looking for.
                    has anyone bought a Torro tank (pro edition) from MotionRC? how was the experience and are they reputable?

Comment

Sorry you had a bad experience. The turret sounds like you just didn't get the 360 version. I'm guessing that the clicking you heard was as the turret was almost facing directly backward, in which case that's just the "clutch" keeping it from stripping the gear teeth in the 20 degrees of non-travel. Can't really comment on the other things. My son and I have the Sherman, Abrams, T-34, and Panther G, and so far we haven't had any issues with them. They are all the base plastic versions, but they do have metal barrels, which at first glance don't seem like they are, but they are cold to the touch unlike the plastic parts. Perhaps they just sent you the wrong stock version? We got them through ToucanHobby, and their after sale support is great.

Comment

got mine from ToucanHobby also. the Tiger worked perfect for two days, and the turret went completely 360 degrees, both before and after it started clicking. your right about the Abrams turret, it just wasnt 360, but still clicked until it hit the end of rotation, then it made the sound you should hear. i will admit the person i was contacting from ToucanHobby was professional, just got two badly made tanks. first, she tried to get someone to talk me through repairs, but when they need repairs after three uses they had to be returned. they do look swett though.
                        i am up for trying out a Torro, but so far no replies on its quality.

Comment

Originally posted by robert1488 View Post
                          it wasnt challenging, there were broken. nothing for $300+ should breakdown after a forward/backward/shoot the gun a few times test run. anyway, a Tamiya is way out of my league.
                          i need a high quality tank that works the 3-4 times i use it a month. i was looking at a Torro pro edition. i dont want to do repairs for something that basically sits on the self. and when i say i use it, i mean for 5-10 minutes a week. for the $500+ i need something that will continue working for a long time. like my fridge and a/c.
                          Then you are choosing the wrong tank types. Look at a Sherman or T34 if you want decent reliably. Anything WW2 German WILL have issues that one needs to learn to address.

Tanks are NOT plug and play and no tank is 100% reliable. Even myself with years of experience in RC tanks have never found or built a 100% problem free tank. If you don’t want to learn how to fix even minor issues then tanks are most likely NOT for you. They will only bring frustration.

Comment

i dont see how anyone is okay with doing repairs right from the start. this aint for me. i like things that work, and work well. thanks you guys, no need to reply anymore, i'm out!

Comment

it is unrealistic to have to fix something that comes off the shelf a few times a month for a 5-10 minute run, and by run i mean go forward, turn, show off the 360 turret, fire the gun, and then turn it off.
                              i still might be into trying out a Torro pro edition, but as of yet no one has any info on one. the Torro has the easy access to the inside, and that i can deal with if i had to, but from day one?
                              i really want to buy one, someone tell me their honest opinion on a Torro tank-pro edition. can it handle a test run every few weeks? it is a tank....

Comment

I only own one Torro tank and it is a Sturmtiger Pro model that I bought about a year ago.
                                So far it has been completely reliable and seems well made. The camo paint job is exceptionally good.
                                The biggest problem I have is with the electronics. It doesn't drive anywhere as smoothly as my Heng Long tanks of which I have at least a dozen. Also the track recoil is way too much and can't be adjusted, only turned off.
                                Other than those things it's a very nice model of a unique tank from WWII.
                                All brands of tanks are going to need almost constant repairs and maintenance if you run them a lot.

Steve

Comment

Yo
                                  I started with HL plastic tanks, then got metal upgrades….. they were alright…… then I got two mato all metal tanks…. What a mistake…. The binding between remote and tank never was right….. returning them was not cost effective….then I got some Torro/tiagen tanks…. Very nice pieces….. I run for a bit every day and my grandsons love them….. I found them to reliable if you maintain them ….. check for lose nuts etc…..tiagen tanks in Florida are great to deal with….. motion rc has free shipping which is huge and ships in the wooden box….I feel the Torro tanks are a little better built then HL….but stay away from MATO TANKS…..

Comment

thanks my friend,
                                    i'm looking at a Torro Leopard tank with mostly metal parts. its mostly for display, but i will need to show it off gingerly every week or so. need it to work so it can drive 20 ft each time. dont want something that needs adjustments or repairs after only a week. like i say, i like how bad ass they look just sitting on the shelf, but for $600 i need a quality product.
                                    i'm thinking of buying from motion rc, i live an hour from them. just dont want another nice looking but poorly operated tank. i appreciate your input.

Comment

I've ordered from Motion RC before. No issues.

Comment

I dont own any Tamiya's, but do own Torro, Henglong, Taigen & Hooben...and they all have thier own little qurks that must be addressed. Some worse than others. Here's a brand new Torro fresh out of the box.... Motion RC stood behind the product and promptly sent me a whole new electronics package. Nobody makes a bullet proof tank, but if you buy from a reputable dealer then issues are easily overcome.

Comment

Working...
                                        X