X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I.M. a better way to battle Modern Tamiya type tanks

As many of you know, our San Diego club, 619th Tank Battalion hosts an annual all modern tank themed event every July. We have been trying different ideas to come up with a better way to battle modern tanks against each other than just 9 hits and 9 second reload times.
    We have come up with A.I.M. and prepared the introduction to this style of IR battling.
    Please bear with the long description, it was written for people that are newer in the hobby and not familiar with all the IR abilities as hobby veterans.

With the advent of new Cold War era and Modern 1/16 rc tanks over the last several years there has been sharp growth in the popularity of these tanks with new and old tank hobbyists. Many that battle rc tanks have noticed the established Tamiya rc tank battling protocols lack modern depth of realism for these tanks.
    In order to facilitate more modern realism when IR battling Cold War and Modern tanks together, we have been experimenting and
    developing a new concept which has come to be called Armor Invincibility - Modernor A.I.M. for short.

A.I.M. simply put was inspired by the Invulnerable Frontal Armor (I.F.A.) concept as used on some 1/16 WW2 rc assault / tank destroyers. The I.F.A. WW2 tank modifications are made to the IR receiver (typically blocking a front portion of the receiver) to make scoring frontal hits nearly impossible. This simulates heavier armor in
    place of a turret on assault / tank destroyers. The I.F.A. concept was established to give these WW2 tanks an even footing against their turreted opponents.
    A.I.M. does something similar for the Cold War / Modern tank, but goes further and is intended for battles that are dedicated to Cold War / Modern tanks. It is not intended for WW2 or mixed tank generation battles.

How does A.I.M. work? Let's use the Abrams and Leopard 2 tanks as two examples of modern tanks. With A.I.M. the IR receiver is not blocked like with the I.F.A. tanks, but is oriented so that the tank can not be easily hit from the direct front of the turret past 15-20ft (~5-6m). This orientation is commonly referred to as T.F.A.(Tamiya Frontal Armor). It uses a “twisted” or 45° IR receiver set up, it is not a new concept and is in use by a number of tank clubs. The effect for A.I.M. represents the advanced frontal armor of Modern tanks. It still allows for these tanks to receive hits from offset angles representing the more vulnerable side armor.

Along with the new IR receiver orientation, tanks will be set to the Tamiya “Light Tank” or equivalent battle setting of 3 seconds between shots and 3 hits to destroy. Testing shows this better represents the speed at which Cold War / Modern tanks like the Abrams and Leopard 2 can reload, visually acquire targets, range and fire accurately at an
    adversary. The 3 hits to destroy also represents the far more lethal capability of modern anti-tank ammunition like depleted Uranium / Tungsten long rod penetrators or H.E.A.T. rounds.

How does A.I.M. work with Cold War era tanks like the Centurion, T72, T55 or Chieftain that do not have advanced “composite” type armor?
    The change for this generation of tank to address this question is with the IR receiver orientation. With Cold War tanks the IR receiver remains in the traditional Tamiya orientation which allows hits to the front of the turret. This is to represent the traditional steel frontal armor of these tanks and its limited ability to defeat modern anti-tank ammunition. Cold War tanks will still retain the traditional angled “deflection” feature of the Tamiya IR receiver. This will allow for continued use of the common tactic of keeping the turret turned to 45 degrees of an opponent to “deflect” an incoming shot, but to fire the turret must be turned toward the opponent. This tactic, when used, reasonably represents the slightly slower targeting capabilities of Cold War vs Modern tanks.

What classifies as an A.I.M. Cold War tank? This will include, but not limited to, tanks that were in the prime of their operational service life between 1950 and 1985. Some examples would be the Centurion, M50/51, T55, M551, M60, T72, Leopard 1 and Chieftain.

A few notable exceptions, IF the Cold War tank is “modernized”, and represented by retrofitted electro optics sights and ERA (explosive reactive armor) or APS (active protective system) or passive protection system then the IR receiver can be “twisted” as with the modern tanks. This is a benefit added for the extra time and modeling work put into the tank.

What classifies as an A.I.M. Modern tank? This will include, but not limited to, tanks that were in the prime of their operational service life from 1985 to present day. Some examples would be Challenger, Leopard 2, Abrams, T90 and Type 10.

Taken in combination A.I.M. with its IR receiver orientations, faster firing rate and fewer hits to represent advancements in ammunition, creates a more modern feeling battle then with the typical Tamiya battle protocols. A.I.M. has proven faster, more fluid and requires different tactics. It elevates rc tank battling of Cold War and Modern tanks to the next level

Henglong tanks using 6.0 and newer systems can participate in the AIM modern battles just as they have been integrated into the Tamiya type battles in Southern California. Henglong 6.0 quipped tanks only have a factory setting of 6 hits to knock out a tank. Following the Henglong 6.0 battle compliant rules a henglong tank operator will count to 6 to simulate an equal reload time to their hit count.Where the AIM rules will change for Henglong 6.0 tanks will come to speed settings. In the average free for all battles of mixed generational tanks, all Henglong 6.0 and newer equipped tanks must run low power to stay on an even footing with tanks that start fast and slow down as they get hit. The henglong is the same slow speed throughout battle so it starts off going slow but its slow speed is constant and remains faster than the tamiya type tanks as they take hits and slow down, this giving the henglong tank the advantage as the battle progresses.
    During Modern AIM battles, Henglong 6.0 and newer equipped Modern Tanks will be allowed to operate on high speed power, while cold war and older tanks will remain using low power speed settings. The Modern Henglong 6.0 tank using a 360 LegoDEI apple will be balanced with the Tamiya type tanks using the 45deg oriented apples and light class settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0336.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	349135
    Attached Files
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Thank you for the throughout explanation. I think I am ready for the modern tank themed battle event next week in SD. I only have 4 modern tanks in my fleet. I will bring them all.

Name:	IMG_E1001.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	351015

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
      Thank you for the throughout explanation. I think I am ready for the modern tank themed battle event next week in SD. I only have 4 modern tanks in my fleet. I will bring them all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E1001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	351015
      The battles are faster paced then LA and you will have plenty of room for maneuvering. Long range engagements 50-150 ft are common as well as sprinting across large open area while firing on the move. Not only that but camouflage actually comes into play and can be quite advantageous especially for well done camouflage schemes like yours.

You will be able to really let your tanks “run loose” and fight them at their full potential.

Name:	649D9E0E-67E2-4216-90E9-3223C9B10D00.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	351024Click image for larger version

Name:	0D48CA66-76E3-4733-9896-DB82AF1046B6.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	351023Click image for larger version

Name:	63469C10-EA27-4B93-9859-FC985D3704DE.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	351022

Comment

Thank you! For the last 10 months or so, I have been seeing only pictures of the open wide battles in SD. Next week I will get the chance to be involved. And I installed the IR bulbs I got from Kenny DAKRC when he came to the LA battle last year. His IR bulbs could hit quite far . It is quite nice to live in southern California. I get to go to two different tank battle events in the same month :-)

Comment

Maybe after my experience in SD, I might take a chance to ask the LA club to widen the LA battle field, LOL.

Comment

Right now the LA club is waiting on the museums ability to move equipment out of the way. The DUkW is supposed to leave and go to the US Navy and they used to move the truck for us but for a while, ow he has not had a place to move it to.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
              Right now the LA club is waiting on the museums ability to move equipment out of the way. The DUkW is supposed to leave and go to the US Navy and they used to move the truck for us but for a while, ow he has not had a place to move it to.
              Can you kindly give me the address of the location for the modern tank battle this Saturday? It will start at 10am, correct? Until when? Thank you!.
              I have informed another member of the LA club. He is excited and he will drive down with his T90 and Abrams.

Comment

Its at South Shores Boat Ramp Mission Bay San Diego. The street is South Shores drive I think. But if you type that in to any map program it should take you there. please arrive before 10 to set up and make sure the tanks are properly set up beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post

Can you kindly give me the address of the location for the modern tank battle this Saturday? It will start at 10am, correct? Until when? Thank you!.
                  I have informed another member of the LA club. He is excited and he will drive down with his T90 and Abrams.
                  If you Googled map the name and city it will come up. The battle field is at the far end adjacent of the parking lot. Use the last entrance and to turn into the lot, the field will be on your left. You can’t miss it.

Comment

Just a word of caution. Parking is limited, and you may have to walk a bit if the near spots are taken. Bring any food you need, if you leave for lunch your spot may be gone. Talk to us locals for details when you get here. There are clean public restrooms in walking distance, so that's not a problem.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-26 095403.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	351462
                    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Thank you Bob!

Comment

I happened to check on all of my Heng Long tanks, I am one 6.0S transmitter short. I did not realize about this. I thought I had plenty so I gave away some to the tank museum and other tank members. If any member from SD has one extra that you don't use, can you bring one to the battle this Sunday and allow me to purchase it from you? thank you!

Comment

David, I have one in my spares box, but not sure why it was there. Take it, and if it works, you’ll owe me a favor. If it doesn’t, no harm done.
                          Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Modern battle day closing in fast.

Name:	C8E82FDD-4B20-4CD3-8AD7-7104C099128E.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	351692Click image for larger version

Name:	028AB577-96EF-47B9-82CE-1882492CF36A.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	351693

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                              David, I have one in my spares box, but not sure why it was there. Take it, and if it works, you’ll owe me a favor. If it doesn’t, no harm done.
                              I owe you two favors: one for this HL transmitter and one for the panzer IB :-) Many thanks Bob!

Comment

The annual modern battle event is just days away where we will exclusively use AIM and Henglong compatibility for the first time and I’m excited.
                                I have been working hard to finish my leopard 1a7 as well as get my other tanks ready.
                                I have the Modernized Leopard finished (for now), and have my Merkava 4m, T90 and M60a3 all set up and ready. (The m60 is standard apple and 3 hits per rules for cold ward tanks in AIM)
                                sadly my Abrams just is not going to be ready, I did not have enough time to work on it and get it PM’d and set up. Also I’m still miffed I did not get the 6.0 chassis I really wanted to put under it. So it’s not all that reliable a tank as it is any way.
                                see you guys on the field.

Comment

i am a very new beginner here so excuse the stupid questions but, why do you guys bring more than one tank to battles? do you have some way to operate them all at once or is it when one goes down you send in another?
                                  also, do you disable the bb firing feature? will it even work if you have the IR adapter plugged in?
                                  like i said, excuse my ignorance.

Comment

My brief explanation; no matter how I prepare and check my tanks, there is always a chance that it might break down when I battle. I bring many tanks because:
                                    1. One of them might break down.
                                    2. I want to test out my newly IR converted tanks.
                                    3. I get bored driving the same tank after 2-3 battles.
                                    4. There might be battles that our group divide teams into axis, allies, or modern warfare. Gotta have tanks for whatever team I am assigned to.
                                    5. There always some new people, new spectators, new friends, curious kids, or visitors at the event. I let them borrow the tanks so they could play too.

Comment

Originally posted by robert1488 View Post
                                      i am a very new beginner here so excuse the stupid questions but, why do you guys bring more than one tank to battles? do you have some way to operate them all at once or is it when one goes down you send in another?
                                      also, do you disable the bb firing feature? will it even work if you have the IR adapter plugged in?
                                      like i said, excuse my ignorance.
                                      With HL tanks the BB system is either removed or disabled as it slows down the firing sequence and also ensure safety on the field. More than once it has happened that an “unloaded” BB system has fired a BB. So as a general rule after someone’s first time battling that they disable the system completely.

We bring more then one tank because we like to switch up tanks after a few battles or if one becomes disabled for whatever reason.

We do allow for “reserve” tanks to be used. These are secondary and can go into action at anytime, but usually when your first tank is destroyed. “Reserve” tanks must be turned on and able to receive hits at all times during the battle. They are often hit or destroyed while sitting in reserve. Once destroyed they cannot re-entire that battle just like a primary tank cannot.

Comment

thanks. sure do learn a bunch on this site. I'm really not into the bb firing feature. i would like to swap mine out for a muzzle flash effect. When I'm ready i will post for help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X