X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pershing owner

If COVID taught me anything, it's when you are looking at something that's in stock, you probably should get it before it's out of stock for a year (or more). Thus, I picked up the Heng Long Pershing (7.0) and it arrived just the other day.

As SoCalBobS noticed on his T-90, this Pershing also has the XT60 connector now which is nice, but of course the extra batteries I have all use the Tamiya connector. I see adapters in my future. The on/off switch is under the driver hatch which is nice, and the tank was also ready to accept the same bearings as the Abrams and Leopard. The instruction book it came with also noted this and had an image of the bearing installation. The suspension arms are plastic, and I don't believe there is really a way to adjust track tension but so far that has not been an issue.

There's a lot of nice detail on this tank, and it looks great. I will probably use some of the Sherman ammo box decals as there were not enough on the decal sheet for all of the ammo boxes on the skirts. I'm not sure I'll be using the fuel decals on the wooden boxes... Being a 7.0, there are only 2 engine sounds available. One seems to be the Sherman's radial, and the other... I'm not sure what it is, but it sounds either supercharged or turbocharged and is not a radial. The smoke unit produces plenty of smoke so far, that's for sure! I did add 2 oz of lead weight near the front, and may add more. We'll see. This tank definitely seems slower than the Sherman, but it could also be that I'm too used to flying planes and don't move the sticks much.

Now... we don't just do IR but we also shoot airsoft paintballs for fun, and that's the one thing I need to look at. The cannon shoots maybe 2 feet on this guy. Something must not be right since even the Sherman with the short barrel shoots further with more energy. So I will be opening it up again to see what might be going on with the airsoft unit.

Photos to come soon.

Clay

Congrats on your new Pershing.
    (and your growing addiction)

I own the Pershing too, and for the same reason, it was in stock in Canada.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220609_202517.jpg Views:	0 Size:	453.3 KB ID:	351004Mine is a real smoker aswell, right out of the box.
    That has to be a design thingy.
    My tracks (plastic) are very loose, couldn't find an adjuster either.
    Was thinking of taking one link out but tried it first in outdoor terrains, including grass.
    Null probleme, Nada, Nothing wrong!
    So I keep on tanking with slightly sloppy tracks, which kinda looks cool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220609_202613.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.7 KB ID:	351005

The shermans airsoft units seem to have extra punch by design.
    Shorter barrel means less resistance, is my guess.
    But two feet? There is something wrong.

Happy tanking

Comment

Nice Pershing Cpt Chaos! I like that gravel pile too... I'm still working on better places to drive these.

Indeed the tracks seem loose, but I haven't had any de-tracking issues. I believe the axle support bearings really help with that though. The front road wheel has a linkage attached to the idler so on compression, it pushes the idler forward.

I opened up the turret and watched the airsoft unit, it functions like it should. Maybe... maybe it needs some lubrication? I had good luck with armor-all in the old tanks surprisingly (silicone lube pretty much). I carefully looked down the barrel and although it's not clean it should be clean enough, and I see the piston seated properly. I'm sure I should be able to get it functioning properly.

Clay

Comment

Swab the barrel. Even a little gunge can affect the pellets. However, there is a component way down inside at the base of the barrel that is critical. It's a black rubbery ring that the barrel seats into. It holds the pellet just long enough for the gun to hit it hard to make it fly. If it's not seated correctly in the gun, and the barrel is not seated in the ring, you can get the pfffts you're getting. Not the only possibility, but if you eliminate everything else.....
        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Thanks SoCalBobS, a barrel swab is certainly on the list of things to do! I may have to dig in and see if that rubber ring is in there or maybe just not seated correctly. I'll dig in when I get some more time for sure.

Tank is too clean right now but that will be changing soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	351020

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	351021

Clay

Comment

Looks like swabbing the barrel (with a touch of Ballistol) worked like a charm, so far. Regular airsoft BBs now shoot with much better force. I'll get those paintballs in there and see how they do 😎

Maybe I can convince my daughter to go and conduct a park patrol with her driving the Sherman...

Clay

Comment

Great idea. My son and I love the BBs!

Comment

Where do you get the 6mm paint balls ? Never heard of them before.
                Thanks

Comment

I'm not sure how many suppliers make them, but I got mine from here:

1000 count 6mm ball Colors Blue paintball!  Non-toxic, water soluble, Bright vibrant color & biodegradable - Enviromentally safe!  For use in all launchers sold on our site and compatible with Airsoft products.

"Modern Combat Sports" is the name of the company. Those paintballs are non toxic and biodegradable which makes a lot of sense, but I've only seen them in blue. They work great when hitting something solid, but will ricochet when hitting things like a plastic shed 😉 Logs, trees, rocks and metal trash cans work great though. Might be a pain to clean up off another tank though since they are kind of gooey.

Clay

Comment

[QUOTE=ccarley;n351166]I'm not sure how many suppliers make them, but I got mine from here:

1000 count 6mm ball Colors Blue paintball!  Non-toxic, water soluble, Bright vibrant color & biodegradable - Enviromentally safe!  For use in all launchers sold on our site and compatible with Airsoft products.

"Modern Combat Sports" is the name of the company. Those paintballs are non toxic and biodegradable which makes a lot of sense, but I've only seen them in blue. They work great when hitting something solid, but will ricochet when hitting things like a plastic shed 😉 Logs, trees, rocks and metal trash cans work great though. Might be a pain to clean up off another tank though since they are kind of gooey.

Clay[/QUOTE

Has anyone tried them in a RC tank yet?

Comment

Yes sir... I use them fairly often in the back yard. I haven't had any problems with jamming or "pre-detonation" in the chamber 😁

Clay

Comment

I'd like to use them but my foe's would be mad after all the work detailing and painting their tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ccarley View Post
                          Yes sir... I use them fairly often in the back yard. I haven't had any problems with jamming or "pre-detonation" in the chamber 😁

Clay
                          Thanks,
                          can you take some pics from your next hits ,please?

Comment

Since this thread is about the Pershing, I loaded it up with some and took shots at the "log" 😁

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	351387

Name:	IMG_0226.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	351388

You can see the splats aren't huge, but they are gooey.

Clay

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Since this thread is about the Pershing, I loaded it up with some and took shots at the "log" 😁

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	351387

Name:	IMG_0226.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	351388

You can see the splats aren't huge, but they are gooey.

Clay
                                Okay, cool.
                                That leaves us with two options, right?
                                1) paint all tanks baby blue
                                2) paint over all hits with either metall grey or rust color to make them look scale.
                                3) not an option: wash them off

CCC

Comment

What sound pack came with the HG 7.0 Pershing?

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post
                                    What sound pack came with the HG 7.0 Pershing?
                                    I'm not exactly sure what soundpack it is, but the 2 engine sounds I can describe are:
                                    #1 - A radial engine; you can hear the radial start up sequence, and the smoker attempts to blow a bunch of smoke when it "fires". Has a rumble when running, seemed appropriate for the Sherman.
                                    #2 - Some turbo diesel? Definitely not the V12 from the Leopard. The startup sequence starts with a horn beep. There is definitely the sound of a turbo spinning down on decel.

After work today I will get video/audio of both engines. Since we have the Sherman running the radial, I went with the turbo diesel in the Pershing. Neither seemed correct but the turbo diesel makes more noise (or something).

Clay

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what soundpack it is, but the 2 engine sounds I can describe are:
                                      #1 - A radial engine; you can hear the radial start up sequence, and the smoker attempts to blow a bunch of smoke when it "fires". Has a rumble when running, seemed appropriate for the Sherman.
                                      #2 - Some turbo diesel? Definitely not the V12 from the Leopard. The startup sequence starts with a horn beep. There is definitely the sound of a turbo spinning down on decel.

After work today I will get video/audio of both engines. Since we have the Sherman running the radial, I went with the turbo diesel in the Pershing. Neither seemed correct but the turbo diesel makes more noise (or something).

Clay
                                      Thank you sir. I recently purchased a Henglong Sherman with a 7.0 MFU and although it only has 2 sound packs as opposed to 4 in previous versions, the sounds seem to be newer and unlike earlier versions. I was hoping for a Ford GAA sound pack, but it doesnt seem so.

Comment

I don't think that either sounds really match the Ford GAA but I did get a video of both.

I kind of like that turbodiesel sound for this tank, especially since I use the radial on the Sherman.

Clay

Comment

Working...
                                        X