X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherman question

I saw a documentary on the now closed The International Museum of WWII featuring a VVSS M4A1 with duckbill on each side of the treads. Additionally it had the track cover/fender. Did such a variation exist?

I bet it does...

We've got some great authorities on all things Sherman on the forum, but it's a pretty good bet. I've been told that duckbills were often fitted by any crew who could get their hands on them, especially those operating in the Low Countries.
    Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Thanks Bob. I will be searching.

Comment

They actually did do some variation that had a 6 inch spacer welded to the bogey stations on the hull just for that purpose apparently. Check out the chieftains channel on YouTube for his presentation on the m4

Comment

Thanks Sappo. Will do.

Comment

To answer your first post yes that is called the E9 adaptation and was done to many export post war Sherman’s and a few stateside. But all postwar.
            RC tank parts and accessories I make
            www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Thank you Rich. Another amazing part of this hobby is the amount of new material one finds daily. I for one would like to see a 1/16 E9.

Comment

Actually Rich the two sources I have seen, Inside the Hatch and a search on Google both agreed the time of this modification was late 43, early 44 as a way to give the vvss tanks a wider track footprint approximating that of the hvss vehicles

Comment

Just found the website, The Sherman Site. #70 the after action report on the Italian campaign

Comment

Oops sorry Rich I didn't notice it was designated as the E9, still the information I have seen stated the time line was as I stated

Comment

Working...
                    X