Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-10 Wolverine

Hello dear readers, I'm back!

Last week I finished Vandramodel's Ram II conversion of an HL Sherman. As luck would have it, I just received his M-10 wolverine conversion kit. It's out of production, but I found one. It cost a bunch, but the heart wants....

I've installed the turret rotation mechanism (stock HL), assembled the gun and drilled out the barrel, to ready it for an IR emitter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	M-10 04.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	355570

Inspired by Rubicon's T23 color scheme, I'll be doing a similar one:

Name:	M-10 colors 09.png
Views:	482
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	355569Click image for larger version

Name:	M-10 colors 03.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	355567Click image for larger version

Name:	M-10 colors 04.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	355568

So if anyone knows, what are the racks on the sides for? I'll have to make them out of plastruct.

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Check out inside the chieftains hatch on YouTube, I'm pretty sure nick moran said they were for a special grouser you could replace some of the track pads with to increase traction.

Comment

I believe the racks in the sides were for storing the track grousers. I have a couple restored vehicle photos I can dig for and see if there is enough detail for you.
      RC tank parts and accessories I make
      www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

They are indeed grouser racks. So I searched for M-10 grousers, and Rich, you'll appreciate this, Shapeways has them! Ordered.

Name:	M-10 grouser rack.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	355584

Comment

Project update: mechanicals and electrics (lights, turret animations, IR emitter) all in. Waiting for the grousers and a different Sherman undercarriage. Right now it's sitting on another chassis with duckbill tracks, which would be unsuitable for the M-10 side skirts. Apparently crews removed the bottom portions to accommodate duckbills if they could find them. Looking at old films of the M-10, I noticed they were commonly driven with the turret facing to the rear. Why? The front hatches can't be opened otherwise, the mantlet blocks them. I modified the Heng Long turret ring gear to go 360 around for this reason.

Name:	M-10 05.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	355799

I really enjoy this type of project, but anyone trying it should be aware that resin parts present challenges. Large parts can warp, and small parts are fragile. Getting the bottom skirt sections on was quite frustrating, and only three out of five "hinges" (on hatches, inside seats) stayed together.

Comment

Project update 2: painted a darkish base coat, so that the eventual camo scheme goes on consistently. Turret reversed and barrel locked is the traveling configuration!

So this is the base camo color; "field drab", hadn't know about it until I learned about it from Rubicon.

The climate change apocalypse is upon us! The shipment of my Sherman chassis for this is delayed by bad weather in Chicago! Oh the humanity!

Comment

LOL
              RC tank parts and accessories I make
              www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Another update; a tale of "so's":

Waiting on grouser racks from Shapeways. I have to attach them so I can finish spraying the base color, so I can paint the camo, so I can spray with closs clear, so I can apply the decals, so I can spray clear flat, so I can attach tools and stores, so I can apply weathering. Also waiting on magnets so I can mount a LegoDEI IR receiver in the turret, so I can apply weathering inside. The crew has a base coat paint, have to be detailed. The stores and crew are just dry-placed for the shots.

Of course, my un a/c'ed workshop has been in the 100's F, so none of this is being done! Oh the trials and tribulations of an armorer, r/c that is. By the way, I highly recommend K&J Magnetics online for rare earth magnets. They carry a multitude of shapes at really great prices.

Name:	IMG_2784.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	356135Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2785.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	356134

Comment

A couple of so's done. Shapeways grousers arrived, coloring done. Next will be decaling and surface finishing.

Name:	M-10 11.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	356316Click image for larger version

Name:	M-10 10.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	356317 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Name:	CEA4B731-550C-46DB-A60F-63D74433BD66.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	356326 So nice Bob! You motivate me to take out my Mato/HL M10 out to work on it and join you on the battle field. I still need to do the turret rotation, gun elevation, barrel recoil, and IR set up.

Comment

Mine is done, as much as any kit bash can be. Needs some additional detailing on the external stores and a light overall "dusting", and of course the sprocket and idler hubs. They don't go on until I'm confident I won't have to keep removing the tracks. As I posted in the Gallery, I colored this after an example in 1943 Italy. The IR receiver will sit on a magnet on the gun in the turret. The emitter is in the barrel. There is a little step I'm going to add to other similar tanks: the 50 cal. mount is always fragile, especially when turning the tank over to replace the battery. I took two small round magnets and glued them to the mount and the turret, so I can take the gun off at will. One other thing to share: Vandramodel's and others' conversions typically use a servo that directly moves the gun elevation. The 9 gram servos aren't really strong or precise enough for this task. I substituted an 11 gram digital servo which is much better for this application.

Click image for larger version  Name:	M-10 13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	379.7 KB ID:	356560

Click image for larger version  Name:	M-10 14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	290.3 KB ID:	356561

Click image for larger version  Name:	M-10 15.jpg Views:	0 Size:	370.2 KB ID:	356562

Comment

Three more..

Name:	IMG_E2811.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	356577

Name:	IMG_E2817.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	356578

Name:	IMG_2814.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	356579

The worst part of this build can be seen in the seam between the top and bottom sections of the side armor. The edges were very rough and thin, the resins were warped and the mold angles were incorrect. I had some filler putty that turned out to be completely unsatisfactory, which I didn't discover until it was too late. Ah well, I'll put some rust along it to portray corrosion. Looks ok at operating distance though.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                          Three more..

Name:	IMG_E2811.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	356577

Name:	IMG_E2817.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	356578

Name:	IMG_2814.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	356579

The worst part of this build can be seen in the seam between the top and bottom sections of the side armor. The edges were very rough and thin, the resins were warped and the mold angles were incorrect. I had some filler putty that turned out to be completely unsatisfactory, which I didn't discover until it was too late. Ah well, I'll put some rust along it to portray corrosion. Looks ok at operating distance though.
                          Looks read to make short work of a few Tigers and Panthers. 👍👍

Comment

Congrats Bobs! I think it's not a easy work but you have enough patience because you wanna go as per your heart wants.
                            It would be better if edge thickness was increased.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                              Three more..

Being so thin there you could take some Miliput or Green Stuff and run a bead of it on the inside of the upper hull to strengthen the edges. If they are thin I would be concerned about them breaking if they hit a building or a rock.

Comment

Well Bob, you did it again! You have motivated me to take my M10 out and work on it. I put the HL 6.1S board inside. The tank is Mato top and HL lower. I installed the servo for the barrel recoil. The tunnel for the barrel was tight. The servo stalled and burned. I had to file the tunnel a little bit bigger so the barrel could recoil smoothly. I learn my lesson with a servo wasted. Now I have no servo left to work on the gun elevation. I installed the turret rotation and IR system. Everything runs well.

Name:	IMG_5982.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	357824Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5989.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	357825

Comment

Name:	IMG_5997.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	357827Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5993.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	357828

Comment

Name:	IMG_6001.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	357830Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5999.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	357831

Comment

The M10 is a tank that looks great in standard OD Green. 👍

Comment

Hah! Better to be lucky than good. I was disappointed in my build in one area, the seam between the slanted side armor upper and lower. Turns out, that's the way it's supposed to be!

Mine:

Click image for larger version  Name:	M-10 12 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.2 KB ID:	362519

A real one:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-29 162300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	362518

Comment

Working...
                                        X