X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL Tanks Battle Event 09/18/2022

Well, I have decided to host the tank battle event at Lake Huntington next Sunday. I have 8 tanks already prepared for today battle in LA but it won't happen. My tanks can't wait till October, lol. My event will be from noon to whenever (I have to go to my temple in the morning ). I like the battle field that I have found. It is only a couple minutes from the parking lot. It has a nice public restroom right next to it. It has many trees for the tanks to hide and provides shades for us. The lake nearby also provides good breezes so it is not as hot as at the LA battle site. There is also a big picnic table for me to use too.

This is where we will battle. It will be within the area of those first 10 trees in front of the picnic table. I will use a long rope to outline the battlefield using the stakes. Its border will be about another 5 feet further from the outside trees.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655A.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	356665

Comment

I am working on some of the props for this coming Sunday battle. Those HL tank boxes finally have their usefulness :-)

Name:	IMG_5921.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	356766

Comment

Additional work continues for the event this Sunday. A series of German tanks' props for my battlefield. These are set as the "out-of-gas" abandoned German tanks scattering all over the battlefield. They are also the target practices and to ensure no one is inside by the Allies tanks' crews. Since my battlefield is quite large and flat, these big beasts will be use as shields and obstacles for tanks to hide and fight. I want to prolong the battle and I don't want tanks to get shot at so quickly.

Name:	IMG_5935.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	356878

Name:	IMG_5932.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	356879Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5930.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	356880

Name:	IMG_5934.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	356881

Comment

One way to attract the joggers at the park. My daughter made them :-)

Name:	IMG_5938.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	356963

Comment

Our battlefield before the battle started today.

Name:	IMG_5940.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	357040

Comment

Name:	IMG_5941.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	357043Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5943.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	357044

Comment

Name:	IMG_5944.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	357046Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5948.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	357047

Comment

Was it a good turnout?
                  Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

This is sooo cool. May I ask a question? How do these IR transmitters/receivers work? Does one have to actually aim at the target? Or does it just automatically locate like a tv remote does?

I ask because I can turn my remote 180 degrees and still raise the volume. Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Comment

We had 16 players signed up by the day before the battle. Yesterday we had 10 players showed up. We also attracted 2 new players from the park :-) We battled east-west initially. Then we turned the direction and battled north-south so to make it different.

Comment

Originally posted by Woohoo\o/ View Post
                        This is sooo cool. May I ask a question? How do these IR transmitters/receivers work? Does one have to actually aim at the target? Or does it just automatically locate like a tv remote does?

I ask because I can turn my remote 180 degrees and still raise the volume. Sorry if it's a dumb question.
                        Yes! In order to get a hit, the tank needs to shoot at the IR sensor on top of the turret of the other tank. That's the fun of battling :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Woohoo\o/ View Post

They are mounted in about a cm deep in an approximately 6mm diameter tube (opaque to ir, of course). The tube is aligned with the tank gun barrel. Often it simply is the last cm or so of said barrel. This greatly narrows the beams angle of spread so you need to point the tank main gun in the approximate direction of its target.

Comment

I used rope to outline the battle field so taking pictures was easier. In LA battlefield, it was hard with all those colorful cones in the way :-)

Name:	IMG_5939.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	357081

Comment

One Sherman and the rest of the German tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by edwardyn View Post
                                Tank battling is often mixed tank teams. Its better to think of it more like blue team vs red team and the kind of tank does not matter. In video game terms the tank is just a “skin”.

This battle day was put on by the OP David and he is to be commended for sharing / loaning his tanks with new people and providing the opportunity for these people to try their hand at battling RC tanks.

Comment

That was only the picture of the battlefield setting. All 8 of those tanks were props. Since the battlefield was quite large, there were not many structures for the tanks to hide and to fight. I picked the spot at the park where there were 10 trees. I had 5 houses, I borrowed 3 buildings and about 15 small plastic trees. I put 7 of those tanks as out-of-gas abandoned German tanks and 1 American knocked-out tank.

For the battle, there were equally amounts of German and Allies tanks battling each others.

Comment

I wonder what his point was.
                                    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I have already received requests from my previous attendees to do another battle in October. One friend came up with the idea of having a tank battle picnic. He is willing to bring meat and grill to BBQ for all players. I might do it on Sunday 10/16.

Comment

Working...
                                      X