You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering taking plunge with Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering taking plunge with Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I...

As someone who comes from the RC fixed wing and heli side of the hobby, I've got a hankering to try a 1/16 tank as I've recently started building scale armor models and it seems going with one of the Tamiya 1/16 tanks is the best of both worlds! I'll likely go with the Tiger I 56010 kit, but wanted to make sure I'm fully understanding what is required on my end... I'm a Jeti DS-12 user, and want to ensure I can use that with the Tiger? I realize having the left gimbal/stick not self centered might complicate things, but I feel I could make it work.

Are NiMH the only option on these things?

I need two NiMH batts for the Tiger I, correct? Any particular size that's recommended?

Any must have spares/upgrade parts to grab while I can? It will be a static model first and foremost, with the occasional running to show the friends/family, so I don't anticipate a ton of wear and tear on it.

I've also considered the new Centurion, but I can get the Tiger I for significantly less, so that seems like the right choice at this stage. Are the electronics that come with the Centurion all that different than the Tiger? My main concern is jumping into what I assume is a pretty old kit at this stage, seeings as it's running brushed motors and NiMH batteries - but I'm pretty set on going Tamiya for my first tank build and I'm really partial to the Tiger I. I've also heard Tamiya is discontinuing a bunch of the 1/16 tanks, any word on if the Tiger is on the chopping block? With supply already pretty limited on these, I'd hate to need a replacement that's impossible to come by due to ending the product line etc.

Anyway, any input will be greatly appreciated!

Tamiya is only going to continue with 5 kits right now.
    tiger 1 and 2, leopard 2 Abrams and centurian.

hinestly if you want to drive the heck out of it get a centurion. The tigers have track issues. The tiger also breaks tracks sometimes too. Tamiya tiger track is kinda fragile.
    you can get the battery Y plug or make one, that the rest of the tanks come with to run a single battery.
    you can run any battery you like up to 12 volts in the old Tamiya systems. But 9.6 or lower is a safer bet.
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Working...
    X