X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HengLong Batteries

So I just got my HL Panther G and I when to my local hobby store to find batteries for it, and I was wondering (since they had no Li-on batteries) whether I could just plug one of my Li-po batteries instead of a Li-on? And if so does it matter which type?

Originally posted by Tanker101 View Post
    So I just got my HL Panther G and I when to my local hobby store to find batteries for it, and I was wondering (since they had no Li-on batteries) whether I could just plug one of my Li-po batteries instead of a Li-on? And if so does it matter which type?
    You can use Lipos in your tank. Best to use 2 cell but you can use 3 cells as well. If you use 3 cells switch the tank via the remote to the Low Powers setting. How to do this in is in the manual. But basically press and hold the “G” button while moving the right stick down. You will here a “ding” sound. To put it back in High Power press and hold the “G” button and mover the right stick up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

You can use Lipos in your tank. Best to use 2 cell but you can use 3 cells as well. If you use 3 cells switch the tank via the remote to the Low Powers setting. How to do this in is in the manual. But basically press and hold the “G” button while moving the right stick down. You will here a “ding” sound. To put it back in High Power press and hold the “G” button and mover the right stick up.
      Thanks for responding! I searched online before posting this and was greeted with the fact that they were interchangeable but only with certain types. And as you would probably know, I’d rather ask the experts than try on my own and mess up the internals.

Comment

If you go with LiPo, be sure to get a Low Voltage alarm so you don't over-discharge your battery.

Comment

I assume you have a lipo capable charger and a cell checker to see what you volts per cell are after use? I have a number of HL tanks from small to large and some plastic tread some metal. I run Hobby Star 5200 2s in them and in the lighter tanks I can run like 6 hours off and on doing battles with other tanks, basically all afternoon on a single charge, on the heavier tanks about 2 hours. I use my cell checker now and then to make sure I don’t run down but am amazed at how long I can run. I do have a low voltage alarm but just don’t use it…

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
            I assume you have a lipo capable charger and a cell checker to see what you volts per cell are after use? I have a number of HL tanks from small to large and some plastic tread some metal. I run Hobby Star 5200 2s in them and in the lighter tanks I can run like 6 hours off and on doing battles with other tanks, basically all afternoon on a single charge, on the heavier tanks about 2 hours. I use my cell checker now and then to make sure I don’t run down but am amazed at how long I can run. I do have a low voltage alarm but just don’t use it…
            I do not have a cell checker, I do have a local hobby shop that I was planning to go to this weekend to find a battery for my tank and to ask about just that as I am still quite unsure what you fellows mean by "2 cell" or "3 cell".

Comment

I do not have a cell checker, I do have a local hobby shop that I was planning to go to this weekend to find a battery for my tank and to ask about just that as I am still quite unsure what you fellows mean by "2 cell" or "3 cell".
              So lipo, liion, nimh, nicd, pretty much all batteries we use now a days aren't just one solid battery, they are multiple batteries soldered together. Then put in a case of some sorts from heatsrink shells to hard plastic. So when we say 2 cell we mean the battery is made of two cells of the same capacity giving us a higher voltage.

So in the case of lipo or liion the voltage of one cell is 3.7v nominal. So a 1 cell battery or as you may see it, 1S, is a battery made up of one single cell with a nominal or average voltage of 3.7v. A 2S would be 2 cells of the same capacity and nominal voltage of 3.7v wired together in series to increase voltage and sold as a solid unit. As the number of S's goes up the voltage increases by "X"S × 3.7v so a 2S is 2S× 3.7= 7.4V 3S × 3.7= 11.1V

Comment

The number of individual batteries matted together to form a complete battery.

In the case of a Lipos,
                2 cell = 7.4v (~8.4v peek)
                3 cell = 11.1v (~12.1v peek)

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

The number of individual batteries matted together to form a complete battery.

In the case of a Lipos,
                  2 cell = 7.4v (~8.4v peek)
                  3 cell = 11.1v (~12.1v peek)
                  And bear in mind, it is how many cells in series, not necesarily how many total cells. You could have 6 total cells arranged in 3 parallel sets of 2 cells in series. That would be considered a 2 cell pack. Or they could be in 2 parallel sets of 3 cells in series. That would be considered a 3 cell pack. Series adds the voltages. Parallel increases amp hours without increasing voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by oldwolf View Post

And bear in mind, it is how many cells in series, not necesarily how many total cells. You could have 6 total cells arranged in 3 parallel sets of 2 cells in series. That would be considered a 2 cell pack. Or they could be in 2 parallel sets of 3 cells in series. That would be considered a 3 cell pack. Series adds the voltages. Parallel increases amp hours without increasing voltage.
                    Yes you are correct, but the point was to not overly complicate the answer for the OP. He obviously has store bought “off the shelf” hobby grade Lipos already that presumably have voltage and amp rating stickers on them.

Honestly the fact that he did not know what a battery “cell” was is an indication that maybe he would be better served using safer and more simple 7.2v NiMH batteries for the time being. In my opinion Lipos in the hands of an inexperienced hobbyist is not a good recipe.

Comment

I saw many offers of Li-Ion battery packs for Heng Long tanks both at Amazon and e-bay. But most of them use low quality Li-Ion cells and charge a premium. tank_me found an Aliexpress supplier that offer high quality packs, but only the 2S pack can be used on HL tank off the bag.
                      Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                      ​I have one Kluosi 2S1P Li-Ion pack on order which will be delivered in late December. I plan to use my B6 smart charger to measure its real world capacity. Hopefully, I may get close to the 3500 mAh that the seller advertises. I will also measure the run time at top speed on a stationary dynamo (a piece of 2x4.).

Comment

Working...
                      X