X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D printed M18 Hellcat

I printed the M18 Hellcat from RC_3D_Tanks on Cults3D. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I figured for such a small investment, what could go wrong? The build was so easy, I was able to modify where I felt appropriate, add/create new parts when needed and really enjoyed the process. This will be a build log for this amazing model using my Ender 3 Pro. As it was my first large scale print, I wanted it to be easy and cheap, and I don't plan to go outside, I used PLA, but will definitely use PETG and Resin on future models.

The hull can be printed as 1 large piece, or is cut in 2 pieces. I chose the 2 part method, (if the print messed up at the end, then two days weren't wasted). All holes and cut edges lined up perfectly. The biggest challenge at this point was building the tracks.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7208.jpg Views:	2 Size:	174.2 KB ID:	363415

The wheels can be printed as one piece or two with separate rubber wheels. Again, I chose the one piece method and painted the rubber. The hardest part was the amateur archaeology of removing the large volume of support material between the halves. I spun them with my drill press to paint them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7213.jpg Views:	2 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	363416

I assembled the suspension, (they provide two different densities of torsion bars to support the gear box). I used the stiffest bars throughout, as I wasn't sure what the finished model would weigh. In hindsight, I'd have used the heaviest ones under the gearboxes, and the lighter ones for the rest. It uses standard short shaft Heng Long gear boxes, and a small amount of metal had to be filed from the bottom edge of the front of the metal gearbox frame in order to fit in. Seriously, it was about 1/16 of an inch, and 20 seconds with the Dremel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7214.jpg Views:	2 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	363417

The sprockets, (of which they offer two different types), did not quite align with the road wheels and return rollers, so I created/printed a small shim to fit inside the sprocket on the end of the shaft. Now they align perfectly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7217.jpg Views:	2 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	363418

Next up, testing the running gear. For my test, I used a HL TK6.1, (because it was what I had close at hand), but will use a TK6.0 for the final assembly as this model does not use servos. I also began to assemble the upper hull. Yes, I printed the "cut version" of these parts as well.

I was surprised at how well it ran at this rough stage. The idlers are adjustable, but with exactly 72 links on both sides, it ran perfectly. The tracks are held together with cut paperclips, so I imagine some stretching will occur rather quickly and some adjustment will be needed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7283.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	363420

The upper hull was stress free, the only picture I remembered to take of this stage was the printing. So here you go.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7221.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	363421

Comment

Next up, the turret. I knew from the photos I saw online that this would be a place for some modifications. After printing the turret, turret ring and gun barrel, I planned for some changes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7289.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	363424

First up, The open top allowed for an unhindered view of the lower hull and electronics. I wanted to block this out and detail the interior a bit more.

Name:	IMG_7290.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	363429

I created a drop in, diamond plated floor.

Name:	IMG_7291.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	363426Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7292.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	363427

Next, the original model called for the HL elevation mounted on the right side of the turret and the Airsoft mounted right up the middle. In an open topped tank, this was unacceptable. Besides, FRAG (Front Range Armored Group), does not do Airsoft, so this unsightly part was deleted. Instead, I modeled, (not greatly detailed), a breach and recoil system.

Name:	IMG_7293.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	363425

As I am using the TK6.0, I still need to use the HL elevation unit, but when I rebuild with PETG, I'll move to servo elevation and detail the inside of the turret more. But, I think it worked out well as is.

Name:	IMG_7294.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	363430

I also "greebled" the interior for a bit more detail.

Name:	IMG_7307.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	363431

Attached Files

Comment

Next in the turret mods: the IR receiver. I modified the top rear of the turret to hold the LegoDEI receiver socket. The original vs the modified versions:

Name:	IMG_7295.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	363433Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7296.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	363434

Then I built the wiring harness.

Name:	IMG_7308.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	363435

Comment

Time for some paint. I painted the whole model with Krylon Camouflage Olive. Then I airbrushed several layers of Tamiya greens, browns, etc.

Name:	IMG_7311.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	363437

After a few more layers, I began adding "stuff". All the parts are printed, except for the crew bags, (they're from the HL Sherman parts sprue). None of them are permanent at this point, until I figure out what fits where the best.

Name:	IMG_7319.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	363438Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7320.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	363439

The wooden crate on the back covers the IR receptacle.

Name:	IMG_7321.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	363440Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7322.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	363441

Final look: FRAG (Front Range Armored Group), requires the IR emitter to be barrel mounted with a "restrictor" of certain dimensions, narrowing the shot significantly.

Name:	IMG_7325.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	363442

Final assessment: This was really fun to build. It is a unique model that is well designed. It has the sockets for headlights and taillights, though I did not install them yet. It fits together well, required very little necessary modifications, and can be repaired by simply reprinting the parts. (I did break a track link while running on carpet, most likely due to a bad layer in the print.) It was well worth the money and the hundreds of hours spent printing. I've already downloaded a few of the creators other models and look forward to my next build. I will certainly use a different filament, and smaller parts, (light guards, and other accessories), will be printed in resin.

Comment

Very nice build. You tempt me to consider getting a 3D printer. I particularly like how you set up the receiver with a box to hide the connector when not in use.

Comment

Fantastic work. It looks really great.

Comment

@BcuriousR​, hat off to you! The realism of your build is amazing. I will never have the courage to do it. But I enjoy reading your build journal very much. Thank you.

Comment

Battled today. Worked really well. It's small and fast. Hard to beat.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7403.jpg Views:	18 Size:	214.4 KB ID:	368607Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7419.jpg Views:	16 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	368608

Comment

BcuriousR I had sent you a PM, but didn't get a response. Can I take that as a "no"?

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                      BcuriousR I had sent you a PM, but didn't get a response. Can I take that as a "no"?

Derek
                      Apologies. Message sent.

Comment

Working...
                      X