X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Tank Track Tension/Slack Adjustment

I know there will probably be alot of different answers to this new topic, but I'd thought I'll give it a shot since I haven't seen anyone bring this up. I have even searched and viewed many videos on You Tube without finding anyone producing a video showing so.
    Is there a difference between the slack you want between a metal or plastic track used on the same tank? Or does it vary depending on the type of suspension used on different tank versions? Do you vary track tension for different types of terrain you expect to drive your tank on or through like sand, tall grass, muddy ground, woody areas, hard surfaces, etc. Lets see your versions and answers to this new topic, please.

Originally posted by cmdrcody View Post
    I know there will probably be alot of different answers to this new topic, but I'd thought I'll give it a shot since I haven't seen anyone bring this up. I have even searched and viewed many videos on You Tube without finding anyone producing a video showing so.
    Is there a difference between the slack you want between a metal or plastic track used on the same tank? Or does it vary depending on the type of suspension used on different tank versions? Do you vary track tension for different types of terrain you expect to drive your tank on or through like sand, tall grass, muddy ground, woody areas, hard surfaces, etc. Lets see your versions and answers to this new topic, please.
    For best all around terrain performance. The majority of WW2 RC tank tracks need to be taut with just a little droop below the road wheels. Modern tanks on the other hand need to be tight with no droop.

The exception to this are the T34 and KV tanks which seem to run well with a lot of slack and also well with a taut fitting track.

Type of tracks plastic or metal does not matter.

Comment

I adjust mine to perform properly. That setting varies tank to tank.
      Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

For best all around terrain performance. The majority of WW2 RC tank tracks need to be taut with just a little droop below the road wheels. Modern tanks on the other hand need to be tight with no droop.

The exception to this are the T34 and KV tanks which seem to run well with a lot of slack and also well with a taut fitting track.

Type of tracks plastic or metal does not matter.
      Those russian tanks seemed to be designed to run with INCREDIBLY slack tracks. I've seen real ones running around with tracks that appeared several links too long and yet no problem whatsoever.

Comment

Yes, my IS-2, T34 variants and KV variants run with pretty loose tracks with no issues. The IS requires more tension than the rest of the Russian fleet. I think my T34/85 is the only running tank in my collection that has never thrown a track. The other tanks I have usually need a lot more tension. Not plucking a guitar string tight though as that will put a lot of stress on the running gear. Pershing tracks have a built in tensioner where the idler moves forward as the first road wheel is compressed. It helps keep the tracks at a constant tension.

Comment

Working...
        X