X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D M4A3E8 Fury Build Log

After building the M18 Hellcat from RC_3D_TANK, I decided to try their M4A3E8 Sherman "Fury". This will be my build log over the next several hundred hours of printing.

General thoughts: This model is not as easy as the Hellcat. Some of the tolerances are a little loose. The Hellcat was a tight and a smooth build. I'll mention modifications as I go.

First, I built the HVSS suspension to see if the model will be worth the effort and time. It works well, but I did have to make a few changes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7361.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	366349

It has bearing in the suspension arms to support the wheels, and springs in the cylinders. I modified the upper shock with a groove and pin to keep it from flying apart under the tension of the compressed springs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7362.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	366351

Printed and loosely assembled the lower hull, gear box and forward bulkhead. Their models like to use the Mid/Low orientation of the gearbox. I had a High/Low available, so used it. In order for the rotation gear to fit, I had to modify the mount a little. If it doesn't work out, I order a Mid/Low and switch it out. At this point, it looks like it will fit fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7366 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	366353
    Attached Files

Ive heard bad things about this model on other forums and FB about tolerances and things not lining up right etc. Good luck looking forward to seeing it come out.
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
      Ive heard bad things about this model on other forums and FB about tolerances and things not lining up right etc. Good luck looking forward to seeing it come out.
      Yup, I've redesigned the mudguards and am printing right now. The track links are very loose. With some slight alteration of the sprocket, I can probably use HL Pershing tracks. It's going to take a while. I enjoy the modifying and altering as it helps me learn about the model, 3D design, and printers. As long as I'm learning, I'm happy. I've had worse experiences with resin cast garage models. At least with a printer you can alter and modify until you run out of material.

Comment

She's a runner! I've been busy printing most of the large parts. I've been modifying parts here and there and have reported bugs and errors to the designer. They are very responsive and fix things quit quickly. When there is a small break, I'll print a few track links and put them together. This is the most mundane part of building a tank. I've only completed one full track. I've found that they lack the tightness between track links that manufactured tracks have; meaning they have a bit of lateral movement as they can slide side to side on the paper clip track link. As I built them ever so slowly, I decided to try a set of old M26 tracks and sprockets. They fit pretty well. They have a bit more slack than the printed tracks. If I take out another link they may be too tight on the printed idler. I did run it with the M26 tracks, and it ran around the house just fine. So, I'll finish the printed tracks and use them, but will not stress if they don't work out as I ordered a fresh set of M26 plastic tracks and sprockets. Now for the photos. The worn track is the M26 track and the shiny new track is printed.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7384.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	367290Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7385.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.1 KB ID:	367291Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7386.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.5 KB ID:	367292

Comment

The front gear box was supposed to be the Mid/Low mount, but I only had a High/Low on hand. So, I modified the rotation bracket and it fit just fine. It's snug to be sure! With a loose assembly of parts it looks like it will turn the turret just fine. If you're going to build one, I'd definitely spring for the Mid/low gears just to insure a cool comfortable fit.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7388.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	367294

Comment

I've made some progress. All big parts have been printed. Most have a base coat. I tested the servo recoil and elevation. Working on accessories, IR base, stowage, etc. Then I can begin the detail painting and weathering. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7394.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	367963
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7395.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	367964

Comment

Great looking Sherman. Are the plans to sell it as a kit or any plans to sell it as an .stl or undetermined yet?

Comment

Originally posted by BcuriousR View Post
                The front gear box was supposed to be the Mid/Low mount, but I only had a High/Low on hand. So, I modified the rotation bracket and it fit just fine. It's snug to be sure! With a loose assembly of parts it looks like it will turn the turret just fine. If you're going to build one, I'd definitely spring for the Mid/low gears just to insure a cool comfortable fit.
                Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_7388.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	367294
                The Heng Long Sherman 3898 that I have uses a HL49 gearbox. I have a Heng Xin gearbox with a pair of Tamiya380 motors on it. Space is tight in the Sherman which does not allow for 390 motors. The Heng Xin HL49 is a drop in fit. The metal track, sprocket and idler wheels are from Mato. https://www.ebay.com/itm/324873670850
                Mine is simple upgrade work in progress.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5117.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	368027
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5112.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.3 KB ID:	368015Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5111.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	368016
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

The Heng Long Sherman 3898 that I have uses a HL49 gearbox. I have a Heng Xin gearbox with a pair of Tamiya380 motors on it. Space is tight in the Sherman which does not allow for 390 motors. The Heng Xin HL49 is a drop in fit. The metal track, sprocket and idler wheels are from Mato.
                  Mine is simple upgrade work in progress.
                  His tank is a 3D printed Sherman and not a Heng Long so the dimensions are different.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                    Great looking Sherman. Are the plans to sell it as a kit or any plans to sell it as an .stl or undetermined yet?
                    I bought the stl file on Cults3d. I just modify when necessary and report errors to the designer. Their models are very affordable compared to others. The creator is responsive to repairs and changes that I've found so far. I'm liking the 3D printing of tanks. Making changes is easy, both in the stl files themselves, or with the old cutting, heating, drilling and swearing methods. I don't worry about screwing up. If I do, I just print another and start again. Much better than trying to alter a metal tank.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post

His tank is a 3D printed Sherman and not a Heng Long so the dimensions are different.
                      Right. The designer built it around the M/L gearbox. Even then, sometimes the nose needs to be trimmed to fit. A H/L gearbox only fit in this model with some finesse. Those with metal covers would never fit.

Comment

What bugs me is the designer should have print3d and built the tank and made it perfect before he released it. Having to fix on feedback like that is lame and bad business. Quite why my 3d products are not available yet. While my partner draws and prints his test parts, I test them harder and scrutinize them more for the average builder as well as scale look and appearance and durability.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                          What bugs me is the designer should have print3d and built the tank and made it perfect before he released it. Having to fix on feedback like that is lame and bad business. Quite why my 3d products are not available yet. While my partner draws and prints his test parts, I test them harder and scrutinize them more for the average builder as well as scale look and appearance and durability.
                          Inkor is the designer as far as I know. I'm on the Discord server he runs. Inkor is in Ukraine and has issues with only being able to work for limited times during the day as there are rolling power outages due to the ongoing conflict. He does his best to design and print his tanks, but relies on the community as he has limited resources to print with lately.

As far as 3D printed tanks go or parts, I've never had a 3D printed tank kit I've bought or a kit I've printed that has not has some kind of design issues. Those design issues could be fitment, mechanical issues, or just details. I say mechanical as in parts don't seem to be engineered to take the abuse of RC. The T26 tank I printed uses a lot of plastic on metal connection for the wheels which will just wear out the center bore of the wheels quickly. I've converted the wheels to bearings and sleeved the idler wheel mounts with metal. Fitment could be under or oversized parts. The BMP I'm printing at the moment has issues where the rubber part of the wheels didn't fit tight on the wheels so I had to scale and print them smaller. The suspension arms and spring mounts have a lot of slop in them so they will need to be tightened up. There are a lot of variations in printer tolerances, but it just seems everything I've printed on this BMP seems to need a tweak of some sort.

It would be nice to get a design and be able to just print it without any tweaking. I've found a lot of "artistic license" in .stl files provided by folks.

Comment

I agree with all of that. I like that I can print models that are not commercially available because someone shared their skills, talents, and joy of the design work with me. It doesn't bother me at all that the model is not perfect. I, with my limited skills, get to be part of the process. I paid very little for this file. Now, if I had paid some extreme amount, (I've seen some models closer to 100.00 for the files), I'd probably expect more perfection. But then, I'd have only myself to blame when something went wrong. This way, we share in the growing process. Thanks Inkor!

Comment

Maybe this war department technical manual I've had since I was six years old might have some interest to you-all.

Name:	0124230910.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	368168Click image for larger version

Name:	0124230911a.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	368169Click image for larger version

Name:	0124230912.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	368170Click image for larger version

Name:	0124230913.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	368171

Comment

Here are some very accurate pics of the M4A3 tank from the manual.

Name:	0125230846.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	368237Click image for larger version

Name:	0125230847.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	368238Click image for larger version

Name:	0125230850.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	368239Click image for larger version

Name:	0125230852.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	368240Click image for larger version

Name:	0125230854.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	368241Click image for larger version

Name:	0125230857.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	368242

Comment

Fascinating!
                                  Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Funny, the pic with the periscopes and driver hatches is actually an m4a1 cast hull. Even the TMs make mistakes lol

Comment

Coming along. You start making real progress and forget to take pictures. Just started chipping and weathering, test fitting stowage, and other such fun. Took it for a drive around the house. It works well. The recoil works really well. I plan to cover the joint on the side with logs.

Name:	IMG_7398.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	368515

Comment

A couple pics from our battle day today. It ran well. The tracks were too grippy on the carpet and it had some turning difficulty. I have not installed the IR system yet so these were just test runs. So far so good. I also ran my 3D M18 Hellcat. It was amazing. Battled all day without a glitch.
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7405.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.2 KB ID:	368604Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7407.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.3 KB ID:	368605

Comment

Working...
                                        X