X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for or against Heng Long on sand

Hi all, I’m new to the rc tank hobby and was wondering if it was safe to run my heng long 1/16 abrams on the beach, I don’t intend to run it near the water and it’s the fine Florida sand, I have looked other places online and the general consensus seems to be go for it but be careful? Are there any things I should do before hand? Mine has the plastic tracks with the metal gearbox.

It should run fine in the FL sand as I live in the Tampa Bay area and have run my T90 in the sand. If the sand is a bit damp just be prepared to do some cleaning afterward as the sand is going stick to the tracks and wheels. A small fine brush will work fine. If you use air pressure nozzle, turn the pressure way down to lightly blow away material so it does get blow into the inside too much. You will need to open it up and clean out the inside eventually.

Comment

One more unrelated question, while trying to fix my smoke generator which I found out was clogged with oil due to putting too much, I encountered a stubborn screw in the corner and broke the corner of the plastic cover where the screw was on the little box, i put it back and the generator works again but now the smoke keeps escaping through inside the tank and won’t come out of the tubes, what can I do?

Comment

Clean the broken pieces with rubbing alcohol use a little bit of silicone glue or caulk Epoxy will work too

Comment

I Rebuild small and large plastic cracks and stripped screw holes with J-B weld. Sandable, shapable, 24 hour drying time.. very durable…take off the little seal on smoke box before repair..replace when done..

Comment

Originally posted by Totaldoom21 View Post
            Hi all, I’m new to the rc tank hobby and was wondering if it was safe to run my heng long 1/16 abrams on the beach, I don’t intend to run it near the water and it’s the fine Florida sand, I have looked other places online and the general consensus seems to be go for it but be careful? Are there any things I should do before hand? Mine has the plastic tracks with the metal gearbox.
            The HL plastic track should be fine. Don't run on sand with the HL metal track. The hollow on the inside of the track is a sand and dirt trap.

Comment

Ah ok, thank you so much everyone!

Comment

I've run my (plastic) Abrams and Sherman on the beach here in Nor-Cal, out at Doran park in Bodega Bay. A few things I noted:
                Keep the barrel away from sand! You'll never get all of the sand out.
                Pull off the road wheels and just blow them out/ run a paper towel through afterwards; there's no bushings or bearings on the plastic wheels.
                Take note of how the turret is traversing; mine got sand between the turret and hull and just needed to be cleaned out.
                IR battling with stock HL receivers in the full CA sun didn't work past 5 to 7 feet. This was FULL CA sun, super blue sky, not a cloud to be seen.

Of the 2, the Sherman needed more work to get the sand out afterwards; the road wheels had a lot more between the axle and the wheel than the Abrams did. The Abrams was definitely at home in the sand. I'd suggest also to keep in mind, replacement parts are not expensive and make sure to have fun with it out there 😎

Clay

Comment

Working...
                X