X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKLM RC M103A2

Uhhhhh....why is it no one here has posted about this yet?

https://www.dklmrc.com/[OKMO]_116_US_M103A2_Model_Kit/p2389473_21880301.aspx

I was just browsing the site and was like WTF? How much cooler is the M103 than the M60? :)

$1,084.00 USD Maybe you have that much money to spend on one tank!

Comment

Originally posted by cmdrcody View Post
      I did divorce my wife in 2015 and my daughter just got married so I don't have to spend any more money supporting her...so yeah I probably do have it to spend. ;) I did just drop about $1600 on a Bambu Labs X1C Carbon 3D printer with AMS system, but that will be paid off when I get paid on the 7th.

Comment

Actually that is a rather fair price and well within what high end kit tanks like Tamiya sell for. DKLM tanks are high end and not intended for those new to the tank hobby that might only have experience with HL or Torro RTR tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Actually that is a rather fair price and well within what high end kit tanks like Tamiya sell for. DKLM tanks are high end and not intended for those new to the tank hobby that might only have experience with HL or Torro RTR tanks.
          I am not new to the tank hobby but only have experience with Heng Long tanks. The early HL were RTR only on smooth indoor surface. I remember the first time I took my Heng Long Tiger 1 outside to put it on a well manicured lawn, cir. 2005. It will not move at all! I bought a second HL tank, a M26 Pershing, aka Snow Leopard. I spent the next 3 years and a small fortune on metal upgrade. I had to order upgrade parts from Germany because the German discovered the Heng Long first. Early Zinc alloy gearbox and track worked poorly and were very brittle. I was frustrated and put away the HL until I retired in 2016. I found then HL tank and parts are cheap, plentiful and reasonable in quality.

I will probably not pick up the RC tank hobby if $1K kits were the only option. The 2005 M26 Pershing is equiped with a Taigen Version2 gearbox and 6.0S HL RC. It runs very well on all surfaces. The track is HL one pin modified with inside rubber pads.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5114.jpg Views:	4 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	368918
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5122.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.3 KB ID:	368920Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.3 KB ID:	368919
          Did I spent more than $1000 on this HL Pershing? I definitely did. I also have a whole carton of discarded parts. Give HL the credit for building a durable tank chassis and parts.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

I am not new to the tank hobby but only have experience with Heng Long tanks. The early HL were RTR only on smooth indoor surface. I remember the first time I took my Heng Long Tiger 1 outside to put it on a well manicured lawn, cir. 2005. It will not move at all! I bought a second HL tank, a M26 Pershing, aka Snow Leopard. I spent the next 3 years and a small fortune on metal upgrade. I had to order upgrade parts from Germany because the German discovered the Heng Long first. Early Zinc alloy gearbox and track worked poorly and were very brittle. I was frustrated and put away the HL until I retired in 2016. I found then HL tank and parts are cheap, plentiful and reasonable in quality.

I will probably not pick up the RC tank hobby if $1K kits were the only option. The 2005 M26 Pershing is equiped with a Taigen Version2 gearbox and 6.0S HL RC. It runs very well on all surfaces. The track is HL one pin modified with inside rubber pads.
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5114.jpg Views:	4 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	368918
            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5122.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.3 KB ID:	368920Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.3 KB ID:	368919
            Did I spent more than $1000 on this HL Pershing? I definitely did. I also have a whole carton of discarded parts. Give HL the credit for building a durable tank chassis and parts.
            By your own acknowledgment you have never owned a high end tank kit so you do not know what you are missing and thus do not understand the value in them.

Comment

Dude, there are tanks in this hobby now for everyone.
              Before henglong got better Tamiya tanks were all that were available and you had to drop big money on them.

DKlM makes custom kits of tanks not available anywhere else. They are good kits and you get what you pay for.
              I know as I spent $1600 on his first M60a3 kit and then got my own electronics and upgraded the wheels and tracks and transmissions etc to what I wanted and all in I have spent about $2300 bucks. I can’t be happier, It’s now my favorite tank. And for 5 years I had the only m60 in the United States.
              Obviously this wasn’t for everyone or even many but it was for me. I’ve built many Tamiya tanks and bashed so many others I had the skills to build his custom kit and adapt and overcome a few issues I found with it.
              I nearly bought his Bradley kit recently but I pulled the trigger on the Hooooooben Leopard1a5 instead. But I know for sure when he releases his M60A2 Starship I will buy one.
              I am a builder and I will spend what I feel is appropriate for what I want because it makes me happy. Henglong tanks don’t make me happy. I enjoy spending a year or more building an excellent model no one else has. That’s just me.
              These custom kits that DKlM and Christian Ludwig make as well as like AFV-model and such are just not for you.
              Stick with upgrading henglong tanks and you will be happy.
              RC tank parts and accessories I make
              www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

By your own acknowledgment you have never owned a high end tank kit so you do not know what you are missing and thus do not understand the value in them.
                Yes, I don't miss what I do not know. I have a good collection of Tamiya RC car and tank manuals. It is not like comparing a Tamiya track to a HL metal track when the quality difference is easy to see. I try to learn from people like you.

I always complain about the poor quality of HL transmitter, but have yet find a convenient way to use high end RC gear with the HL tank. I investigate the Clark board and was not impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                  Dude, there are tanks in this hobby now for everyone.
                  Before henglong got better Tamiya tanks were all that were available and you had to drop big money on them.

These custom kits that DKlM and Christian Ludwig make as well as like AFV-model and such are just not for you.
                  Stick with upgrading henglong tanks and you will be happy.
                  100% agree. I also spend months each building Tamiya and other static plastic models too. But not big money on RC plane or car.

Comment

I always say, "the heart wants what the heart wants". My heart wants this... :) Funny part is that on my way back to Texas from Washington State I decided to stop by the National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois, WY (awesome museum BTW and well worth the detour on the way home). I saw they had an M103 in their back lot that was waiting to be restored and I was like...damn I wish someone made one in 1/16 scale. Less than six months later I found it on DKLM's site. My heart sunk when I got around to the rear and the pack was missing...

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                      I always say, "the heart wants what the heart wants". My heart wants this... :) Funny part is that on my way back to Texas from Washington State I decided to stop by the National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois, WY (awesome museum BTW and well worth the detour on the way home). I saw they had an M103 in their back lot that was waiting to be restored and I was like...damn I wish someone made one in 1/16 scale. Less than six months later I found it on DKLM's site. My heart sunk when I got around to the rear and the pack was missing...
                      Hope that the engine will be restored after overhaul.

Comment

In June of 2019, I was in the UK on my bucket list vacation and I came across a place called "Tanks-A-Lot". And I saw on the sign that you could actually drive a tank for a fee (of course). So, this was something i could not pass up. Went inside, they got me all suited up in coveralls and boots since the obsticle course was rather damp and muddy from recent rainfalls. After a quick bit of instructions from the 'tank master' and since I was very mechanically inclined, I got loaded into the driver's seat of a 2S1 Gvozdika M1974 122mm SPA. What a rush it was driving this self-propelled-artillery tank. Through waterholes and all around a two mile course they had laid out for driving these tanks they have. And they've got a lot of tanks on their huge property in the UK. So here's a photo of the tank I drove with the ladder on the side to get into and out later. Second photo is a close-up of the same. P.S. If you click on the "Tanks-A-Lot", it will take you to their website.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0614191459_HDR.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	368957Click image for larger version

Name:	0614191459a_HDR.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	368958

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish I had flown in an F4U Corsair at Chino Airport back in 1976 when they offered rides for $50. At the time I thought it was a lot of money. I also thought I could always do it in the future. You did the right thing and went for it.
                          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Since I'm hijacking my own thread it's fine...

What a lot of folks don't know is that quite a few museums work with volunteers to help do the restorations. I volunteered at the Fort Snelling Military Museum for a couple of years. Volunteers don't need extensive skills to be able to help turn wrenches, sand blast parts, paint things, etc. It helps if you have skills, but usually not necessary as the folks there will usually teach you. I got to drive our restored Sherman, the M42 Duster, an M114, a Duece and a half, an M26 Pacific (Dragon Wagon), a Mutt, and an M37 truck. I got to ride on the M60, the M41 Bulldog, and our M551 Sheridan. So if there is a military museum near you and you are interested in wrenching on vehicles, give a call or stop by. Doesn't hurt to ask if they need help.

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                              Since I'm hijacking my own thread it's fine...
                              My apologies for making post number 12

Comment

My apologies for making post number 12
                                No worries... 😃

Comment

How does everyone think of this Rc tank I just purchased as a first toy-to hobby grade,“https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1R527&psc=1”. I have done my research and I plan to arm it with modified metal hinges as armor, swap out the transmitter/receiver, esc, give it some 52t motors, tighten the screws, and grease it up. Does that sound like good preparations for my first hobby grade Rc tank? (I’m going to take the obnoxious rockets off that are unrealistic.)

Comment

Originally posted by Quakinking1 View Post
                                    How does everyone think of this Rc tank I just purchased as a fist hobby grade “https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1R527&psc=1”. I have done my research and I plan to arm it with modified metal hinges as armor, swap out the transmitter/receiver, esc, give it some 52t motors, tighten the screws, and grease it up. Does that sound like good preparations for my first hobby grade Rc tank? (I’m going to take the obnoxious rockets off that are unrealistic.)
                                    Hobby grade? I assume you say that with levity.....

Comment

How does everyone think of this Rc tank I just purchased as a fist hobby grade
                                      I would say if you want questions answered about that tank, start a thread of your own.

Comment

How does everyone think of this Rc tank I just purchased as a first toy-to hobby grade,“https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1R527&psc=1”. I have done my research and I plan to arm it with modified metal hinges as armor, swap out the transmitter/receiver, esc, give it some 52t motors, tighten the screws, and grease it up. Does that sound like good preparations for my first hobby grade Rc tank? (I’m going to take the obnoxious rockets off that are unrealistic.)
                                        It is a 100% toy grade and not even remotely resembles a Tiger tank. It is no chance that any mod can accomplish it. Some Tiger 1 information can be found at this website. http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html

If the video is real, be careful that this toy tank can catch fire. BTW, the video is unrealistic too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X