X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagged T-34/85, now to paint and otherwise

After a long while, it has finally happened. I took advantage of the Toucan "US Stock Sale" and picked up a shiny new T-34/85 (hopefully coming by next week).

I'm looking to paint the tank in a solid green color despite being a total beginner with no airbrush. I came across some enamel spray paint that is about the color I would like.

Here is the link: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...-Enamel/p/1246

As much as I like the idea of painting a tank with little effort for cheap, I wonder if its... too cheap.

What experience do y'all have with this product or similar ones? Should I get rattle-canning, or is it a bad idea?

-Hayden

I think if you are using that for the main color, that should be fine. Airbrushing would really be for detailing (I.E., camo patterns). I've used Testors paint in the past in those cans for RC car bodies and model bodies, and it works well for a solid primary color.

Clay

PS I was just trying to recall what I have painted... some of the classic AMT big rig models. Take your time to prevent runs and it should look good.

Comment

Testors is fine. My preference is for Tamiya's spray rattle cans as a base overall color, after which I either leave it as is, airbrush an overcoat, or just dirty it up. what you're paying for in hobby rattle cans is the fineness of the particles. You can buy much cheaper aerosols at hardware stores, but they will come out rougher. Not a dealbreaker, but if you put decals on it they won't stick as well.
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

That's good to hear.

I'm thinking after a coat or two of the spray I can follow it up with a black or brown wash for the details.

Also I'm hunting down an HL T-72 accessories kit for some extra accessories.

Hopefully I can have it all up and running before too long!

Comment

The tank came in last Sunday and so far it's been a beast.

Toucan US stock shipped from NJ to me in three days on a weekend, which I was surprised by.

I decided to keep the factory paint and go with a light wash, along with some NVA decals

Forgive me if this deserves its own thread, but I managed to buy the version with the plastic gearbox. No biggie, just another thing to upgrade

But in looking for gearboxes, it seems like the T-34 (and Sherman) use a shorter output shaft than other tanks. I was hoping to get a 4:1 gearbox for more torque and more "scale movement" but it seems like most of the boxes with the correct shaft length are 3:1.

Anyone have a good source for a 4:1 gearbox with a 45mm shaft? The taigen ones look like they are only sold with the T-34 lower hull (that I could find at least).

Comment

I rattle canned these two. Spray came from a hardware store. Both were matte clear coated after. I am satisfied with them both. What I will say about hardware spray is colors are not always the tone and hue of model paint. Either way, I can always repair and call it a "field mod." Good luck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_50460929.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.0 KB ID:	370684
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_50413569.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.6 KB ID:	370685
            The Sherman still needs bow paint.

Comment

Heyyyyy Welcome to the T-34 club!

I also got mine from Toucan when they ran a sale for the Pro model last year.Here's a couple of shots of one of my dirty girls. All my tanks are girls and all of my girls are Dirty!

Click image for larger version

Name:	iCLAiGy.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	370712

Name:	3AB09Ok.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	370713Click image for larger version

Name:	Xkdr2iK.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	370714

Looking forward to see what you do.

Chef

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                Testors is fine. My preference is for Tamiya's spray rattle cans as a base overall color, after which I either leave it as is, airbrush an overcoat, or just dirty it up. what you're paying for in hobby rattle cans is the fineness of the particles. You can buy much cheaper aerosols at hardware stores, but they will come out rougher. Not a dealbreaker, but if you put decals on it they won't stick as well.
                I second Bob here.

I don't yet have an airbrush so I've used Tamiya rattle cans with good results. I have a new project that I will be using Rustoleum primer and Tamiya TS cans. You don't have to spend loads of $$$ for decent results. The most important thing I find is researching "How To" & "technique" videos on Youtube and of course on model forums. Be sure to look at Armor Model Content Creators. There is lots of great content out there to help whatever skill or money level we are at. I personally love DIY stuff.

Chef

Comment

Originally posted by hblake1427 View Post

What experience do y'all have with this product or similar ones? Should I get rattle-canning, or is it a bad idea?

-Hayden

Here is my first tank that I rattle can painted with Tamiya TS-5 Olive Drab paint and winter camo/whitewashed with Tamiya XF-2 Flat white.

Name:	ug2rRyB.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	370722

Name:	9yUoWCX.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	370723

Comment

I have to say y'all's modelling skill is something to look up to

I gave my T-34 a light brown wash to suggest dirt and rust, the results are pretty solid so far. I'll probably hold onto the spray I did buy for the next tank, maybe a KV-1.

Biggest priority now are the incremental upgrades like gearbox, tracks, sprockets, spare battery, etc.

-Hayden

Comment

Working...
                    X