You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improving the stock Heng Long IR receiver range.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving the stock Heng Long IR receiver range.

As we all know the stock Heng Long IR receiver is pretty poor at detecting hits in outdoor lighting and gets worst the brighter the sunlight is. Typically about 10-15 feet at best.

I showed back in early 2019 that they can be improved with the addition of a sun shade. I had designed a simple two piece sun shade based on my prototype back then, but never produced it because I started working with LegoDEI on their IR receiver which held greater promise.

With the growth we are seeing in IR tank battling locally and so many new comers to battles showing up with their stock IR receivers I felt it was time to revive an old idea, since the stock receivers just lack the ability to integrate and cause frustration by other plays unable to score hits on them.

Why this happens is not because the stock IR receiver bulb is bad, it's because they are basically being "blinded" by sunlight and can't "see" the IR beam to read it.

The solution is to add a "sunshade". Testing has shown that a proper sunshade can increase the effectiveness of the IR receiver range to between 30 and 50 feet in noonday sun and even further on overcast (cloudy) days. The problem at tank battles has been having sun shades available, plus a fast, easy and with no glue method needed to install them.

So this is what I developed and I will have these available for loaning out at our local tank battle events. I will also be offering them for sale so if interested let me know. A note here, these are a "stop gap" measure and a proper quality aftermarket IR receiver like the LegoDEI is the best solution.

Feel free to ask any questions. Oh and yes it can and should be painted prior to use for best performance.

Video of the sun shade being assembled can be seen on my Instagram @ fsttanks. Click image for larger version  Name:	4390B178-D6EB-453D-8CD6-768614231F9E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.9 KB ID:	373621 Stock HL receiver in left, stock IR receiver with sun shade attached on right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	27CA6D61-407D-4056-B308-0FC4C9165CD4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.1 KB ID:	373618 The two two halves of the sun shade.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0FFC8034-B5E6-47FE-B777-662C890A7E15.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	373619 The stock receiver just slides in place and is held to the tank via the stock magnet in the stock location.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F1738A88-92A7-4E22-BBBC-1CDEA02A25E5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	373620 The top shade section sits ontop of the lower section and is held in place by three pins that attached to the lower section.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1851EE25-88E4-47C1-9D8A-577BEA57C965.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.3 KB ID:	373623 Size comparison to a Tamiya IR receiver.

Click image for larger version  Name:	15499531-C462-41DB-A7E2-B67C44B148A0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	373622 Installed on tank. In this case a HL T34-85
    Attached Files

Ok I'll bite. I'm interested. I don't have any local clubs or people to battle with so I don't yet have a reason for the LegoDEI piece but I'd like better range outside for certain.

i watched your video on Instagram. It looks simple enough. So this is a printed item requiring that simple assembly? Hell, print up a bunch for evaluation and I'll buy a few. I understand the purpose of it and think it's an interesting mid way solution. I remember something like this being proposed a long while back before I even got into this hobby or was a member when I was just browsing forums.

Chef

Comment

Originally posted by MrChef View Post
      Ok I'll bite. I'm interested. I don't have any local clubs or people to battle with so I don't yet have a reason for the LegoDEI piece but I'd like better range outside for certain.

i watched your video on Instagram. It looks simple enough. So this is a printed item requiring that simple assembly? Hell, print up a bunch for evaluation and I'll buy a few. I understand the purpose of it and think it's an interesting mid way solution. I remember something like this being proposed a long while back before I even got into this hobby or was a member when I was just browsing forums.

Chef
      Yes the two halves are printed as one piece each. They will be printed in black resin, and are as easy to assemble as the videos on my Instagram show. There are few more cosmetic tweaks that are being done and some final "re verification" of performance checks to do and then into production. Which 🤞🤞should start next week.

Instagram @ fsttanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Yes the two halves are printed as one piece each. They will be printed in black resin, and are as easy to assemble as the videos on my Instagram show. There are few more cosmetic tweaks that are being done and some final "re verification" of performance checks to do and then into production. Which 🤞🤞should start next week.

Instagram @ fsttanks
        Ok I'll keep an eye for progress.

I don't have Instagram but my wife does so I used her phone to look at your videos. As a result she is now following you on Instagram so keep it clean.

Comment

Originally posted by MrChef View Post

Ok I'll keep an eye for progress.

I don't have Instagram but my wife does so I used her phone to look at your videos. As a result she is now following you on Instagram so keep it clean.
          My Instagram @ fsttanks is all hobby related , always PG and non political.

Comment

Got a bunch of "re verification" testing done to compare the new 2023 to 2019 numbers on sun shade performance.

Like in 2019 the average increase in maximum range was approximately *40% greater with the sun shade vs without it.

The target tanks with stock HL IR receivers were both using 6.0 control systems and these have no different in registering hits vs the 7.0 systems.

Two types of IR bulbs were used in the testing. The first a stock HL bulb that was relocated to the barrel of a tank with a 9mm set back. The second a "high powered" bulb also located in a barrel with a 9mm set back.

The primary test tanks were both using HL controls systems. One was a 6.0 the other a 7.1. I also used other systems from Tamiya but these were to confirm interoperability and not range assessments.

In a repeated test using the "high powered" IR bulb in mid day sunlight, the sun shade was able to **increase maximum reception range out to 67 feet. When the shade was removed the range dropped to 40 feet.

The sun shade DOES NOT effect or eliminate the tendency of the stock IR receivers to have "dead spots". These are areas/angles where the receivers will not accept hits outdoors regardless of distance or lightning. These "dead spots" are random and not consistent from one receiver to another. Out of the four stock IR receivers tested none had the same "dead spot".

*Note: The 40% is in relation to each bulbs individual maximum performance range and it must be indicated that the HL bulb had approximately 50% less range then the "high powered" bulb in all tests.

**Note: These numbers were not achievable when using stock HL bulbs.

The photos below are screen shots from segments of the test videos. Both are of the firing tank (circled in red) and one of the test tanks (T34 bottom of photos). The distances are approximately 60 and 45 feet.

Videos of this segment of testing will be available on my Instagram @ fsttanks shortly

60 feet.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	FFEEBA16-7151-411B-8004-D29890B2E00A.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	373888
            45 feet
            Click image for larger version

Name:	84AF6B13-CB9A-4690-950D-97ACF742E85F.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	373887

Comment

Just wondering what kind of price range you'd be looking at, my problem is the shipping costs to New Zealand are almost prohibitive from the US. This is something that could really help get more people involved in the hobby without the expense and shipping costs for the lego dei units

Comment

Final cost has not yet been worked out but I am trying to hold the retail cost per shade down to no more then $10 U.S. I don't have any idea what the shipping cost to NZ would be.

Most of the cost associated with the sun shade is in the post production labor. They have to be delicately removed from the "forest" of supports needed to achieve a uniform print. This takes time to do carefully in order to not damage the thin shade fins. After that they are delivered to me. I want to apply a thin primer to all the sun shades. This is more for presentation effect to help smooth out the post production work done on the shade.

Comment

This thread got me to thinking, what about removing the smoked plastic dome, in conjunction with the shade? I conducted a very unscientific comparison of two HL mushrooms, one with and one without the dome. I observed a 10 to 15 percent improvement in range. Not astounding, but along with the shade one could "reach out and touch someone" a little farther. The test was done outside, in and out of shade and notwithstanding aiming and other variables, gave pretty consistent results. something to consider.
                  Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                    This thread got me to thinking, what about removing the smoked plastic dome, in conjunction with the shade? I conducted a very unscientific comparison of two HL mushrooms, one with and one without the dome. I observed a 10 to 15 percent improvement in range. Not astounding, but along with the shade one could "reach out and touch someone" a little farther. The test was done outside, in and out of shade and notwithstanding aiming and other variables, gave pretty consistent results. something to consider.
                    Removing the smoke dome on the receiver without the sun shade does help somewhat in specific lighting conditions, but it also has shown to increase "wash out" in direct sun light.

I did remove and test the receiver without the smoke dome both by itself and in the sun shade. Performance difference with and without the sun shade was minor when compared against a stock receiver with smoke dome still attached. Also with just the smoke dome removed there was still no difference in "dead spots". I tried to adjust the IR bulb to a position that was more conducive to receiving hits and possibly reduce "dead spots". This worked for the front ~120 degrees, but then would not receive any hit from the rear 180 (see photo of bulb position below)

My conclusion was it does help with range to remove the smoke dome in combination with the use of of sun shade. But once the dome is removed there is no going back unless one does not break the dome taking if off (which I did twice). Again I must stress that regardless of the range increases that the sun shade can provide it does not eliminate the "dead spots" each receiver has. If a receiver has a "dead spot" it will continue to have that "dead spot".

I have a dozen or so of the sun shades produced and will be conducting further testing at the next LA and SD battle days. I really need to get them into a battle where they are actively being shot at multiple angles, ranges and rates. I also want to see what the more experienced players observe of the sun shades performance.

Smoke dome removed and IR receiver bulb repositioned from facing up to facing forward
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	A209BED2-7A0B-4F2E-A652-1A66E80CF377.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	374386

Comment

R99.....I have new players entering my event with their own HL tanks monthly. I don't want them to spend extra $ and the wiring work on the LegoDEI yet. Is your shade getting better at this time? Can you bring about 5 to the LA event this Saturday for me? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                        R99.....I have new players entering my event with their own HL tanks monthly. I don't want them to spend extra $ and the wiring work on the LegoDEI yet. Is your shade getting better at this time? Can you bring about 5 to the LA event this Saturday for me? Thank you!
                        The shades have been in uses for the last three LA and SD battle days and have reduced most of the stock IR issues. They are not perfect and their performance relies on how good the factory IR receiver is. Some are better then others.

Given your battles are under semi shaded conditions my sunshade should preform as they do in LA. I have few set aside for loaning out in LA. You are welcome to the ones I have. Unfortunately I will not be able to have more printed before the June 10 battle day as I already put my order in for other parts to be printed. I need about a two week notice to get custom parts into the print cycle at JVM3D.

Comment

Got it! Kindly let me borrow 2-3 of them this Saturday as I know for sure there will be 2 new tankers in my next event with their own unmodified HL tanks. If there are more tankers entering, we will just ask them to attack at the shaded flank :-)

Can I order 5 shades from you? No rush! We have been battling with Mike's tank for over year and we got used to it. So with the new members, a slight advantages for them won't bother us :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                            Got it! Kindly let me borrow 2-3 of them this Saturday as I know for sure there will be 2 new tankers in my next event with their own unmodified HL tanks. If there are more tankers entering, we will just ask them to attack at the shaded flank :-)

Can I order 5 shades from you? No rush! We have been battling with Mike's tank for over year and we got used to it. So with the new members, a slight advantages for them won't bother us :-)
                            I usually have up to five with me so borrow 2-3 is no problem. I will add five to my next order of parts for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X