X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly's Heroes

A post on FB appeared in my feed. Someone has crafted a 3DP figure of "Otto-Karl" from Kelly's Heroes. He says he will be making four more figures, presumably including "Oddball" and "Kelly". He doesn't sell the STL files, I've left a message asking if he sells the figures.

Click image for larger version  Name:	343298589_621620969819620_9033254934074314765_n.jpg Views:	3 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	376393

Click image for larger version  Name:	343241567_1251462795500371_342468106398025359_n.jpg Views:	3 Size:	33.9 KB ID:	376394
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

This prompted me to do a quick search on the Shermans that were used. Apparently they were from the post-war Yugoslav Army, M4A3E4's, with a longer barrel 76mm gun in the 75mm gun turret. Now this looks like a cool project, especially if figures do come available!

Click image for larger version  Name:	i031789.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.3 KB ID:	376397

I wonder if someone like JVMConcepts could produce the loudspeaker horn? Or maybe someone has seen the like on the various 3DP websites? Removal of the forward barrel brace and the addition of appropriate fenders would be the major modifications.

Click image for larger version  Name:	maxresdefault.jpg Views:	1 Size:	150.7 KB ID:	376396

Comment

Bob. I want............Bad....

Keep me posted please...

Comment

I have seen a RC Tanker make OddBalls Sherman, even with the loudspeaker, but he left off the critical blue watering pot..

Comment

I have an oddball somewhere I bought several years ago but I’ve misplaced him,
          the Kelly’s hero’s were indeed Yogoslav Army Shermans from the MDAP program that received 76mm barrels with thread protectors that were a smaller collar than used in wwii as well as removal of the glacis travel lock and addition of a travel lock in the center of the rear armor plate at the engine deck.
          RC tank parts and accessories I make
          www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Subscribed for the show.

Comment

I received my figures today - 11 days shipping from Spain, a reasonable period, in fine condition. I took some photos before any treatment. They look to be good sculpture and prints. Now I have to relearn how to paint figures! Fortunately there are lots of images to draw from.

Donald Sutherland as Oddball, Clint Eastwood as Kelly and Telly Sevalas as Big Joe:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E3631.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	381545

Karl-Otto Alberty as the German Tank Commander:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E3633.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.3 KB ID:	381546

Yes, the tanks are not accurate from the movie. Time will tell...

If you are interested in the maker, he can be found on Facebook as "Charlie Brown". To pick him out from others of that name. he is in Spain. He does a lot of military figures. He doesn't sell the files (smart), just the figures themselves.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kelly Faith.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.3 KB ID:	381547

Comment

I'm also gathering other objects for the project; loud speaker, watering can, milk can and lantern.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	381549

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                  I received my figures today - 11 days shipping from Spain, a reasonable period, in fine condition. I took some photos before any treatment. They look to be good sculpture and prints. Now I have to relearn how to paint figures! Fortunately there are lots of images to draw from.

Donald Sutherland as Oddball, Clint Eastwood as Kelly and Telly Sevalas as Big Joe:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E3631.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	381545

Karl-Otto Alberty as the German Tank Commander:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_E3633.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.3 KB ID:	381546

Yes, the tanks are not accurate from the movie. Time will tell...

If you are interested in the maker, he can be found on Facebook as "Charlie Brown". To pick him out from others of that name. he is in Spain. He does a lot of military figures. He doesn't sell the files (smart), just the figures themselves.

Click image for larger version Name:	Kelly Faith.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.3 KB ID:	381547

A quick search for "Charlie Brown-Spain" comes up with several hits. Can you do a screen capture of his Avitar, or possibly a link? Much thanx as always.

Comment

Profile picture is two guys sitting at a table, with beers, with an inset of an FT-17 tank. First photo is of a WW2 Naval Officer. He lists his home as Tordesillas Spain. His Instagram username is "c3charlys". I first talked to him via Facebook's Messenger app. I don't know if he wants his email address posted. He doesn't appear to be a company, just another hobbyist.

Comment

Thanx a Bunch kind sir....

Comment

first of four...I picked Big Joe, the least iconic of the group for practice, since I am 1) rusty and 2) old!

Name:	IMG_3646.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	382030

Comment

The German Tank Commander.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kellys Heroes Karl 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	382509

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kellys Heroes Karl 04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	382510

These guys' faces look okay from one or two feet away, but sorta break down closer. A face that looks good from one angle can be really bad from another.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                            These guys' faces look okay from one or two feet away, but sorta break down closer. A face that looks good from one angle can be really bad from another.
                            So, basically just like real faces.

Comment

Progress update:

I am modifying a Mato Sherman to resemble the movie tanks. This will be the third repaint; first was an IDF version in sand grey. I didn't like the color although it was authentic for the period. Second was a Normandy breakout Sherman. Now it is modeled after a Yugoslav Army tank used in the movie. Having the metal tank makes paint stripping much easier.

Name:	M4 IDF-1 08.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	383864Click image for larger version

Name:	M4 2nd Armor 08.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	383863

Of course at this point there is no decaling, weathering or accessorizing. Believe it or not, the base color on the Normandy tank is nearly the same as this one! I found a source for the specific decals from a group called "Company B" online. They upscaled a 1/35 set to 1/16 which is allowing me to proceed. I also found printable Kelly's Heroes accessories on Cults3D that a friend generously printed. The most iconic one, the loudspeaker, has been installed. My first two iterations had Mato T49 duckbill tracks. This one uses T74 tracks. I had some Mato ones but they were horrendously unreliable. You couldn't drive 10 feet without them detracking, despite my best tinkering. Instead, I used some metal Heng Long tracks and their sprockets. Working fine!

Name:	IMG_E0047.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	383865

Name:	IMG_E0050.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	383866

I had hoped to add a longer barrel but the one I have doesn't fit into the mantlet. Maybe someday. The only other major omission is a rear deck barrel hold down which replaces the front hold down that I removed. Still gotta paint my Kelly and Oddball figures.

Comment

That looks fantastic Bob, I am not a Kelly's hero fan either. More of a Battle of the Bulge with Robert Shaw. and Telly Savalis
                                Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Working at it....quite a lot more to do, but it's taking shape. Interesting observation; I've been looking at stills and the movie, and there is "travelling storage". Boxes and bags are in different places at different points in the movie. Guess that means I can put what I want where I want! It'll be getting an overall dusting, which will reduce the shininess of some of the stains. The only thing I wish I had at this point would be some German helmets to place over the headlights. [Edit: Toucan has them. Of course! Enroute.]

Click image for larger version  Name:	M4 Kelly's Heroes 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	384037

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0052.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.0 KB ID:	384038

Click image for larger version  Name:	maxresdefault.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.7 KB ID:	384036

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0053.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.1 KB ID:	384039

Comment

Tanks and railroad tracks just seem to make a perfect scene for shots

Comment

Man that is nice stuff keep it up .Great movie even though as a kid I knew the Tiger was a hybrid still loved it!My dad didn’t like the Donald Sutherland character but he loved the movie anyway .He was a Marine in WWII in the first marine division fought on Guadalcanal and New Britain and was getting ready to invade Japan and then they dropped the bomb The atom bomb

Comment

Final shots. Maybe some touch-ups, but that's all. In case anyone isn't familiar with the movie (anybody?) the RR tracks are a reference to the one big battle, coming out of the RR tunnel.

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	384198

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	384199

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg