X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracks, Just how loose is too loose ?

This is the way the track settings are out of the box, Tank is on a stand.

Good question.

To me that looks too loose.

But since I don't have your model I can't give you an answer from experience with it. I'm sure more knowledgeable members will chime in with solid advice.

For me out of the box Heng Longs and Taigen models have usually been good to start, maybe not perfect but usually needed adjustment after some use. I usually look for less gap when the track is hanging like that, and when the tank is sitting on its tracks I look for a bit of sag for looks but not too loose because they will detrack especially on thicker carpet and tougher terrain outside.

Comment

Loose looks good on WW2 tanks, but if they're too loose on our r/c versions, they may ride up over the sprocket and de-track. The bigger the tank (think modern) the more critical this is. Adjust the tension for reliability on whatever surfaces you run it on - grass, dirt, sand, carpet, concrete or whatever.
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Depends on the model of tank. On a PZ3 and modern tanks I run the tracks tighter. On a KV or T34...they are pretty loose. Kinda really depends on the model. Your tracks will also get looser as you run the model.

Comment

Front sprocket tanks tend to have looser track than others. Shermans for example are quite loose but still too loose will cause issues.
          Modern tanks need tight track. The track should really barely droop on a modern tank because when you set it down the suspension will compress under the weight of the tank and the track will slack even further.
          My Merkava will tolerate a certain amount of slack but not much because it single pin track, it tends to cling to the sprocket and while backing up, it wont peel off the sprocket well and it can jam.

The key is, if you can run the tank and not detrack, not throw them off, your ok. If you have tracking issues, you need to make them tighter or look for another problem if they are already tight.
          FYI, the henglong Challenger 2 tanks seem to throw tracks no matter what you do to them. Good luck with it.
          RC tank parts and accessories I make
          www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I've found the challenger needs to have the first and last road wheels need to be on the highest spring setting, and the tracks need to be almost tight enough to lift both of these road wheels off of the ground. I also removed one of the retaining rings from the sprocket

Comment

Working...
            X