X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracks with rubber pads.

Looking to get some of these style of tracks but don't know what the advantages or disadvantages of these are, there are single/double sided, which is preferred ?

Tracks that are made for the Leopard 2 and Abrams will fit the Challenger if you widen the drive sprockets with washers or a o-ring correct ?

I tried them and went back to plastic for reliability. The metal tracks are wider than the plastic, by up to two mm. That's a critical dimension, and they can get hung up on the sprocket, which is not wider. Check my "Challenger 2023 style" for more detail.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I've got a set of double pin rubber pad tracks I used for my m1a2, even with the red 390s I found they put down too much traction and caused the tank to be less nimble. Went back to the plastic tracks again

Comment

Originally posted by gadget228 View Post
        Looking to get some of these style of tracks but don't know what the advantages or disadvantages of these are, there are single/double sided, which is preferred ?

Tracks that are made for the Leopard 2 and Abrams will fit the Challenger if you widen the drive sprockets with washers or a o-ring correct ?
        On the real tanks, Abrams and Leopard 2 have tracks with rubber band which are for weight reduction. For RC model of these tanks, an external rubber band looks real. But I agree with @SoCalBobS​ that plastic track is more reliable. I use a Tamiya track on my HL Leopard 2A6,

On the RC tank post WW2, the T-49 and T-74 etc. style of tracks were casted in solid link pieces as the real thing by Mato and Torro. Heng Long chose to cast the link with hollow back to reduce weight (and save cost?). It is a terrible dirt and sand trap. I cut small 1/8" thick rubber block to fill the hollow. It is almost necessary if you buy the cheaper HL metal tracks. It is no fun to cut those 300+ pieces by hand, but they greatly improve the HL metal track on my Pershing. I don't like the single pin (per link) design of the HL track. I chose Torro for T-34/85 and Mato for Sherman. Both work very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sappo View Post
          I've got a set of double pin rubber pad tracks I used for my m1a2, even with the red 390s I found they put down too much traction and caused the tank to be less nimble. Went back to the plastic tracks again
          Are you referring to indoor polished smooth floor only? I don't wee how can it make a different on dirt road or grass lawn.

Comment

A note on the Mato metal tracks for the Leopard 2A6 with rubber pads, be prepared to lose those rubber pads and have extras ready to replace those you do. I really believe they are are a waste of time and money as I have learned the hard way. If you intend to do battle or run your tanks outside, use the plastic tracks and save yourself a bunch of headaches (money, too!). Those rubber pads are only for looks, not function.

Comment

Working...
            X