X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a classic M60 from TD stuff

As most of you know by now, TongDe currently markets 3 M60 variants. The M60a1 Rise for the USMC Desert Storm, the essential M60a3 and the IDF M60 which is kinda close to what the real thing looks like but not quite. The IDF m60 that TD chose to make is called a Magatch 7 in the IDF. The M6a1/a3 series are called Magatch 6 and the M48a5 was called a Magatch 5 after its upgrades but was called a Magatch 3/4 before the 105 gun and bigger engine was installed in it.
    Any way the IDF did so many upgrades to their Patton tanks its hard to keep track of them and get all the details right but I commend TD for their effort on their Magatch 7 M60. That also offers us kitbashing options to build more tanks with.

I mixed and matched parts to make up an early 1960 issue M60 as best as I could with what I could get piecemeal from TD.

I started with an all metal A3 chassis but purchased the metal gusseted wheels as they represent the aluminum early wheels that were on the M60/ a1/a2 for most of its production. Later on they came up with the steel wheels without gussets. I ordered the parts tree sets for both the A3 and the early round turret and the hulls so that I would have everything I needed except the Commanders armored machine gun coupola. That I will trade from another club member that is building a starship A2 and will not need it.

First impression was it was going to look really cool, after I filled in all those damn holes. And there are alot of holes, plus you have to figure out which ones not to fill in as well.
    Several coats of bondo and spot putty and primer and sand and primer again made them go away.

I already posted how to remove the barrel and get into the turret to start making a recoiling barrel, which I have not done yet. I will work on it further when I can get a servo recoil unit and an M68 barrel when I go pick up my order of parts from JVM3D. For now Im just driving it with the stock radio system it came with but it does not have servo recoil so I will have to upgrade the board eventually as well.
    I cut the ugly tow hooks off the rear lugs and cleaned them up and mounted them and I measured the tow lugs on the front of my DKLM M60a3 and cut down the front TD lugs to match the size that is on my DKLM model. They look so much better now.

So here are some photos along the way and my paint job.

I have searched hard for what I considder the right color Olive drab for the 50s/60s era which is FS24087. There is a lot of controversy among modelers about OD and the color name, becuase the Army reclassified its colors a few times sometimes applying the same Federal Stanadard number to a different shade of OD Entirely. But I do know that this color FS24087 during this era typically had two shades, yes two distinctly different colors, which makes it even that more complicated. One shade was more of a green OD while the other was more of a brown OD and they were both the same stock number. AK makes a 34087 color , the leading digit 1 2 or 3 identifies its sheen, 1 high gloss, 2 semi gloss, 3 lusterless, but the AK color is much lighter in shade and is closer to the WWII OD319 from 1944 onward. This is because of the DOD changing colors and names around again in the 80s.
    So without a stock color that I really felt looked right, I decided to walk out to my army jeep and just match its FS24087 color. After all I know what that color looks like and its the greener shade of 24087 OD.
    I have mixed alot of OD in my modeling career and have tried many ways but starting with the basics of black and Ochre is the best. I used tamiya black and orange. After a few mixes I settled on a 2-1 mix of Orange to black. Thats about a %66 / %33 ratio. It did come out on the dark greener side of the OD spectrum as was my jeep when I freshly repainted it in 2020. I could have gone with a 70/30 mixture which would have toned the green down a little and the brown up a little. The brown starts to become prevalent around the 75/25 ratio. The more black, the greener the color the more orange the browner the color or before it gets to brown, the lighter green the OD shade is.
    So, to my eyes the color looks spot on for color chips of the paint that I have and how my jeep looked when it was fresh as well as my old powerwagon when it was still in fresh paint. OD fades quick in the sun and thats one reason the Army liked the Semigloss finish, it was easier to maintain the vehicles and lasted longer before it would fade out and rust through. OD is not a very good moisture barrier paint.
    Because of the colors of the tamiya paints being gloss finish the tank is a high gloss, which also makes the color appear much darker than if it were flattened out. I plan to spray a satin clear coat over the tank when its done, after I get that commanders cupola and get it painted up.
    Note, the OD color appears darker in these pictures than it actually is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG7594.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.9 KB ID:	378346Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG7625.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	378345Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG7636.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.6 KB ID:	378351Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG7630.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	378352Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG7629.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	378349Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG7639.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	378350Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG7656.jpg Views:	0 Size:	237.6 KB ID:	378347Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG7657.jpg Views:	0 Size:	262.2 KB ID:	378348
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Looking good sir!

Comment

Fantastic job covering all the holes on the turret!
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Looking good. I'm curious if the turret Inkor uses on his 3D printed M60 is the same as this TD version. Looks pretty similar to me, but I'm definitely no expert on the M60 family of tanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
          Looking good. I'm curious if the turret Inkor uses on his 3D printed M60 is the same as this TD version. Looks pretty similar to me, but I'm definitely no expert on the M60 family of tanks.
          Yes that is the same turret, 1960 issue M60 utilizing the M48a2 turret with a new machine gun coupola. 3 years later the M60a1 was released with the longer pointy turret that became the standard for the US Army and early variants were relegated to Guard and Reserve units, then massively given away to the IDF during the 1973 war to replace their losses of M60a1s.
          Hence why in the IDF, the M60a1/a3 is a Magatch 6 and the M60 with the round turret is a Magatch 7, they got the earlier model, later.

Out of curiosity I bought Inkors leopard 1a5 file pack and the files are not refined well. They are not smooth, even if JVM were to print them in resin, (I asked) they said it was going to come out grainy with lines, and it was going to cost me a lot to have them print that much stuff so I passed, I have all the tamiya tanks, it was just the turret I was interested in any way.

Comment

I have the M60 turret printed on my X1C at home and I haven't really done any post processing to it yet. I can get some pics of it if you want to see the quality. Printing anything round or curved on an FDM printer requires a bunch of post processing. Inkor does design a lot of his stuff to work with lower quality FDM printers as that is what he has at his disposal. He doesn't have a resin printer and I think even if he did he probably would still design for FDM as that's what most people have. I tend to print most of my FDM stuff at a .16 layer height. I think that's what I printed the turret at, but slower printers printing at a .16 layer height would take over 30 hours to print the M60 turret while mine took around 10 hours.

He just released update packs to the Leopard files with additional turret options (original, 1A4, and the 1A5). I don't always want to print the tank I buy as sometimes I just want the ability to print certain parts of the tanks. The files are cheap enough to do that with. A file optimized for resin printing would have a much smoother finish than a file designed for FDM printed in resin. The slicer of an FDM printer converts the file into trapezoids or triangles to make the curved areas. Depending on the software used, there could be bigger or smaller triangles to make up the curve. Resin printers resolution smooths all of those triangles better, but it can only do so much processing depending on the resolution of the original file.

Being that I am a military vet and spent time in places recently ravaged by fighting, I can't help trying to support him as he is in Ukraine where keeping the electricity on consistently is an issue.

Comment

I have installed the armored cupola and it makes the tank look quite a bit better.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	29A7F48B-D7C7-4133-88C9-34D24636079E.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	379214Click image for larger version

Name:	0CAC01E6-4365-49FD-AE16-5C8321FD43CE.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	379215Click image for larger version

Name:	5DE9EB68-89BA-43D5-B72A-E3FC1785174C.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	379216

Comment

Looks fantastic! On Saturday, you'll have to share how you plugged all the holes. The putty I've used doesn't cut it.
                Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

For filling round holes or small square holes I usually use round/square styrene rods. Typically it works much better than putty.

Comment

I use auto body two part bondo. Then sculpt it after 30 min or so and then sand. Then two processes of bondo spot putty and sanding, get it wet and look for suttle dimples. The. Primer and sand and get wet again to look for dimples. The dimples will show on any glossy finish but typically not with lusterless.

Comment

I am finally converting my Slick 60 to an IR battle tank with one of my scale M60 gun barrels and my servo recoil unit and an old IBU board.

First I filed down the extended hull corner on the rear which was catching the edge of the track during negotiating rough terrain causing a track jam. Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG8616.jpg
Views:	2131
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	385688

Then I opened up the turret.
                      If you can see, the front mantlet is only attached to the airsoft unit mount by a small tube.
                      This tube is fine for the TD stock gun barrel but TD really messed this up. Their barrel is smaller in outside diameter than a scale 105mm barrel, and its actually quite a bit shorter. I dont know why TD did this one so different but I had to make extensive modifications to get my project done.

Name:	KIMG8619.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	385689

I removed the whole gun assembly and tossed out the airsoft gun and its accompanying bb loader etc. I removed everything and got down to just the mantlet so I could get to work on it. I needed to bore out the mantlet and that connecting tube to 15mm but unfortunately that is nearly the same as the outside diameter of that tube so basically I figured out the tube would disintegrate if I just went and drilled it out with a 15mm drill bit. I decided to build a box around the tube between the airsoft / recoil mount and the mantlet, and then fill the cavity around the tube with auto body bondo so that when I drill out the tube and it disappears the bondo and boxed sides will maintain attachment and alignment of the mantlet.

Name:	KIMG8621.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	385691 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG8622.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	385690

Once I had the whole apparatus ready to drill I screwed it to the recoil unit without the shuttle inside and lined it up in my drill press with a drill bit that was the same diameter as the tube and then slowly used larger drill bits until I got it drilled out up to 15 mm.
                      I began to test fit my scale US M68 105mm gun barrel (which I market) and while doing so I dropped the whole assembly causing the longer pivot pin to break off.
                      After locating the broken pin I glued it back and fabricated gusset supports for it. I suggest anyone with this tank make the gusset supports for that pivot pin as there is nearly no support for it at all. If you hit the barrel on something it will likely break off.

Name:	KIMG8631.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	385692 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG8633.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	385693 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG8627.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	385694

Name:	KIMG8636.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	385695

Once I had the gun barrel inserted into the tank I used schematics of the tank to line up the gun barrel to its proper position and marked the gun where it entered the mantlet and then took it all apart and cut the back of the barrel so that it had enough room to recoil inside the interstitial space between the mantlet and my servo recoil unit and worked out the tubing telescoping to make my scale barrel attach to the shuttle of the universal 3d recoil unit I produce.

Name:	KIMG8637.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	385697

Name:	KIMG8638.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	385696

Comment

I installed my ibu brand MFU now long out of production and Ser up a bracket for the switch in the hatch.

Name:	AC1724CA-BD7D-4CBB-9390-FDDCF5812DF2.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	386156 Click image for larger version

Name:	F79F3559-A08A-4E57-ABBF-8CF46A041427.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	386157

I finished my recoil install of my scale barrel in my 3d Mod B1 unit and used a spare servo arm on the elevation unit airy a long screw supported by a tube over it and a tiny 5x2x2 ball bearing as used in the return rollers of my hvss kits I produce..
                        I had a real problem with the recoil distance and the small amount of interstitial space in the distance between the recoil unit front and the barrel rear. I cut as much off as I could from the back of the barrel and bored out the front of the recoil unit to allow the barrel to enter the front of it.
                        I got to say, I have fabricated my own recoil units from brass in some Sherman’s and made my own in many tanks and this tank turret was by far the most difficult I have done. The M60A3 turret is 100% easier.

Name:	E0292F6B-1781-4AA0-92C7-262059D1A156.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	386158 Click image for larger version

Name:	3F71FE21-1717-4E8C-943F-F633C0A9A58A.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	386159

Next I fabricated and lined up the mounts for the Spot Light kit that I market for the TD m60s.
                        The spot light is made to fit right onto the TD M60A3 model but I had to do all my own fabrication to fit it on this tank as the IDF turret doesn’t come with spot light mounts.

Name:	7AB6D6F3-4AD3-4145-858A-58B7356C1A89.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	386160 Click image for larger version

Name:	55EF0449-156E-455B-9B41-15C90AC89060.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	386161

Comment

very nice great job

Comment

Here is the finished tank. The spotlight is not lit up yet, just snapped onto its mount.

Name:	9B5D5152-9A5B-4874-8834-6A8353F59F38.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	386252

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                              Here is the finished tank. The spotlight is not lit up yet, just snapped onto its mount.

Name:	9B5D5152-9A5B-4874-8834-6A8353F59F38.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	386252
                              Looks even better in person. Your M60 ran and fought really well at the LA Tank Clubs Sept 2023 battle day. I can't wait to see it in action at the San Diego Tank clubs "modern / Cold War" themed battle on Sept 17th.

Comment

Really nice job, you nailed it!

Comment

Working...
                                X