X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD tanks M60 MFU operation and IR battling

I have left the stock MFU in my TongDe m60. I discovered that it has plug ports for servo elevation and servo recoil if you so choose to set them up.
    The servo operated as one would expect with servo recoil.
    The elevation port though, does not have a servo hold set on its algorithm so the servo moves up and down with your stick, always returning to a neutral position, which would be whatever position you put your servo in for your barrel. It does not go up and stay up if you relax your thumb back to center on the stick, the servo will return to its neutral position.

I finally rigged up my tank for IR battle with a legodei IR receiver. I used the 5 pin cable that LegoDEI supplies and connected to the IR receiver plug. I removed the plug from the turret roof and pried the plastic box off from around the plug and pushed the 3pins onto the PCboard base of the 3 pins. THe LEDs I connected to the tail lights initially.

When I started to test fire the IR from the m60, my M60 would receive a hit from itself. The IR was bouncing back off white boxes in my garage.

Some strange things I discovered. The M60 does not light up the LegoDEI IR receiver when it gets hit. Or more accurately, it does not flash the tail lights or headlights.
    Secondly, after testing two different TD MFU units, (I have a spare from Rubicon since he installed a HL 7.1 in his tank) Firing the main cannon only fired the IR once to score a hit on my LegoDEI test box and tamiya sherman on the other workbench. Once the main gun is fired the first time, it would not produce IR again from the main cannon.
    I had to fire the machine gun to make the M60 fire IR every time I pushed the button and score a hit on my test box and tamiya sherman.
    This is a weird glitch but it gets worse.

I used my test box to fire at the m60 and could not score a hit. The m60 would not recognize the IR from my test box.
    I used my tamiya sherman and scored a hit but still the lights do not flash. I fired a second time and scored a hit but that was it. After two hits the m60 would not score any more IR hits. I I turned off the tank and repeated the process with the same results.
    I swapped over to the MFU from Rubicon's M60 with exacly the same results.

So the summation of my testing is the TD MFU is not suitable for IR battle with a club using tamiya and Henglong. It probably works ok with other TD units but who cares.
    Yank it out and put a 7.0 or 7.1 henglong unit in
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG7635.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	380230
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
    So the summation of my testing is the TD MFU is not suitable for IR battle with a club using tamiya and Henglong. It probably works ok with other TD units but who cares.
    Yank it out and put a 7.0 or 7.1 henglong unit in
    Yeah, although the MFU box looks similar and has the same sockets, they don't all work like HL. I replaced mine with a HL 7.0. It might be worth relaying your findings to Carson, who is in contact with TD.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I yanked mine out the first day I had the tank so I never even tested the IR functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
        I yanked mine out the first day I had the tank so I never even tested the IR functionality.
        Yep 👍👍

Comment

Working...
        X