X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VS Tanks

I have four VS Tanks. They're cool models, but they're kind of a pain in the butt. The radios suck, the amount of double A batteries is obnoxious, and they don't run very smooth.
    Has anyone made upgrades or modifications for these?

Ron,
    Are you talking about the 1/24 VS Pro tanks? I've seen some swap in a Clark board but it doesn't seem like it's worth the cost and trouble.

I picked up a 2.4Ghz Infrared 1/24 Sherman a few months ago that didn't run very good, it hesitated and and stuttered when driving it, particularly forward and backward. The guy I got it from had used it as a static display for the most part since he bought it. He was of a mind that the motors or gearboxes were shot. After I got it home, and loaded it up with 14 AA batteries, and played with it for a bit seemed to me the problem was in the transmitter, the sticks actually.

I opened up the transmitter and sure enough it looked like the contacts for the joysticks had been lubricated with soldering flux paste and it had dried up years ago. I cleaned them up with some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol and put a thin coat of dielectric grease on them.

​​​​​It been running perfectly ever since.

As far as batteries I've not seen anything like a rechargeable packs,you could probably rig one up up easily enough. Yes, 14 AA batteries is a bit of a negative but some rechargeable NiMH AA batteries make it less so and save you the trouble of figuring out a pack to swap in. Keep your eye on Amazon for deals on Sony Enloop or PowerOwl 2800 Mah batteries. I picked up 16 2800Mah AAs and a charger for $33, the brand is Bonai. They seem to work well enough, I've recharged them 1/2 a dozen or so times so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziptar View Post
      Ron,
      Are you talking about the 1/24 VS Pro tanks? I've seen some swap in a Clark board but it doesn't seem like it's worth the cost and trouble.

I picked up a 2.4Ghz Infrared 1/24 Sherman a few months ago that didn't run very good, it hesitated and and stuttered when driving it, particularly forward and backward. The guy I got it from had used it as a static display for the most part since he bought it. He was of a mind that the motors or gearboxes were shot. After I got it home, and loaded it up with 14 AA batteries, and played with it for a bit seemed to me the problem was in the transmitter, the sticks actually.

I opened up the transmitter and sure enough it looked like the contacts for the joysticks had been lubricated with soldering flux paste and it had dried up years ago. I cleaned them up with some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol and put a thin coat of dielectric grease on them.

​​​​​It been running perfectly ever since.

As far as batteries I've not seen anything like a rechargeable packs,you could probably rig one up up easily enough. Yes, 14 AA batteries is a bit of a negative but some rechargeable NiMH AA batteries make it less so and save you the trouble of figuring out a pack to swap in. Keep your eye on Amazon for deals on Sony Enloop or PowerOwl 2800 Mah batteries. I picked up 16 2800Mah AAs and a charger for $33, the brand is Bonai. They seem to work well enough, I've recharged them 1/2 a dozen or so times so far.
      The VS Tanks I have are probably 2009-10. They have the push button controllers no sticks. Since I first posted this question, it has me thinking about finding a new inexpensive tank with a better controller, and MCB and try swapping it into the VS Tanks. Some research will need to go into this idea.

Comment

Oh, the old controllers, yeah that I get. So oddly enough, I was just catching up over at rctankwarefare.co.uk, came across this thread, by modeler you need to check out, Tiger Vs Sherman IR battle Tanks 1/24 HL electronics conversion, he's swapping 2.4Ghz controllers, boards, and batteries from Henglong 1/24 and 1/30 tanks into the older VSTanks. He's even figured out how to add gun elevavtion to the henglong boards. That being said modeler over there is always doing interesting things like 1/35 R/C conversions, and repurposing toy R/C parts. Check out his other posts when you have time you may see some other ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziptar View Post
          Oh, the old controllers, yeah that I get. So oddly enough, I was just catching up over at rctankwarefare.co.uk, came across this thread, by modeler you need to check out, Tiger Vs Sherman IR battle Tanks 1/24 HL electronics conversion, he's swapping 2.4Ghz controllers, boards, and batteries from Henglong 1/24 and 1/30 tanks into the older VSTanks. He's even figured out how to add gun elevavtion to the henglong boards. That being said modeler over there is always doing interesting things like 1/35 R/C conversions, and repurposing toy R/C parts. Check out his other posts when you have time you may see some other ideas.
          Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was thinking about.

Comment

Working...
          X