X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walterson's Motors and Transmissions

I was curious what you all think about the waltersen's motors and Transmissions with the three-speed three different opinion gears, and Brass gear Transmissions? Years ago I put a set on a panther house G which was my first tank with metal tracks metal Road gears and all that and the hole broke on it. I have one set used that that happened with, and I have a brand new set in the box. I'm building a panther G now I just wondering what you guys think of those Transmissions I've got them so I'm going to use them anyway. Thank you bye

Originally posted by Jeffprockl1962@gmail.com View Post
    I was curious what you all think about the waltersen's motors and Transmissions with the three-speed three different opinion gears, and Brass gear Transmissions? Years ago I put a set on a panther house G which was my first tank with metal tracks metal Road gears and all that and the hole broke on it. I have one set used that that happened with, and I have a brand new set in the box. I'm building a panther G now I just wondering what you guys think of those Transmissions I've got them so I'm going to use them anyway. Thank you bye
    At one time they were decent gearboxes. But with the advent of newer MFUs that have far superior motor control they have become more less overkill. The new MFUs make the typical 3:1 HL pattern gearbox work exceptionally well regardless of crawling slowly forward or turning, yet allow for smooth fast hard driving operations.

Matting the Waltersen gearboxes with newer MFUs will give you a uniquely handing tank. Since you already have one use it. If you didn't I would have said pass on it.

Comment

Thank you Mr Rubicon, I'm going to be building a really heavy tank this time, and I can say one thing about the waltersen's transmission their lowest year is really low. Another thing is is I don't like to run my tanks fast I'd like to run them to their scale miles per hour myself. Some people like to run them hard and fast I kind of like to do them scale but that's just me. If I want to go fast I'll take my boat out to the lake and run it at 70 miles an hour! Thank you for your replying to my post, one other question where can I get some decent motors for my I have all metal Sherman and I have a plastic Sherman but where can I get the the motor that's supposedly fit in the thing? They seem to be the same size as what's in my Panzer for unless of course I'm losing my mind. Anyway does anybody know where I can get some decent motors for them? Thank you all and have a nice day.

Comment

What brand tanks are your shermans? Need to know before suggestions are made.
        RC tank parts and accessories I make
        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

No I'm sorry Mr johnson, I thought you knew! No all of my tanks are heng long. Some are modified, some stock. Does anybody have any idea if one was to take the pinion gear and make it really big would that make it go really fast? I have a couple extra holes and Transmissions I wanted to mess around with. It's just a thought. Thank you for your time Fellers Jeff

Comment

No I'm sorry Mr johnson, I thought you knew! No all of my tanks are heng long. Some are modified, some stock. Does anybody have any idea if one was to take the pinion gear and make it really big would that make it go really fast? I have a couple extra holes and Transmissions I wanted to mess around with. It's just a thought. Thank you for your time Fellers Jeff
            You would be applying too much resistance on the motor causing them to use too much current and shortening both motor and battery life.

Comment

Does anyone know if those blue motors from henlong are worth a darn? I have an all-metal Sherman that I'd like to upgrade the motors and apparently the red ones won't work and I saw some blue ones on AliExpress which are probably fakes, any I was looking for a different type of motor to put in it. I was going to send some pictures of my tanks except for I cannot figure out how to do it on this site whatsoever. Talk to you later Jeff

Comment

Does anyone know if those blue motors from henlong are worth a darn? I have an all-metal Sherman that I'd like to upgrade the motors and apparently the red ones won't work and I saw some blue ones on AliExpress which are probably fakes, any I was looking for a different type of motor to put in it. I was going to send some pictures of my tanks except for I cannot figure out how to do it on this site whatsoever. Talk to you later Jeff
                Depends on what you are trying to achieve with them?

Comment

The best 380 motor commercially available for hobbyist is the Tamiya GP 380. It has more torque and runs cooler than the Heng Long grey and blue 380 motors. You can search for the "red and blue motor" thread to find more details and test results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5112.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	383377
                  The Tamiya 380 drives the ball bearing Heng Xin gearbox with excellent results.

Comment

In case some of you have never seen these or heard of them before these are walterson's Transmissions supposed to have heavy duty magnets and windings in the motors and they're all brass gears anyhow I'm going to try and put these hen long red motors on them ought to be interesting. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230824_125430.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	384947 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230824_125118.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	384948 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230824_125250.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	384949

Comment

Oh and I'm going to try them out in this full metal henlong tiger one. Click image for larger version

Name:	20230803_130852.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	384953

Comment

Just for fun can anybody tell me what this drivetrain is? Click image for larger version

Name:	20230815_095933.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	384955

Comment

Centrifugal pulley drive-belt system. (ATV?)

Comment

Okay Commander Cody, I'll give you a hint it's not a hot rod lincoln!

Comment

Aatv?

Comment

Just for fun can anybody tell me what this drivetrain is? Click image for larger version

Name:	20230815_095933.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	384955
                                Looks like an Argo interior?

Comment

In case some of you have never seen these or heard of them before these are walterson's Transmissions supposed to have heavy duty magnets and windings in the motors and they're all brass gears anyhow I'm going to try and put these hen long red motors on them ought to be interesting. Click image for larger version  Name:	20230824_125430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	384947 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230824_125118.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	384948 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230824_125250.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	384949
                                  Are the waltson motor 540 motors? What motivates you change them to HL red390 motors? The Red390 is a good upgrade from HL Grey380, but will be a step down from 540. The waltson motor has much larger drive gear than the HL 380/390 series. The red 390 does not look like a dropin replacement.

I use 3 pairs of the HL Red390 and one pair MaxFan390. The internal fan and axial ball bearings keep them running much more stable, quieter and cooler than the HL grey380. All 4 pairs of 390 have consistent performance on the bench. However, some forum members reported melt down (physically) of their Red390. They never identified the source of the problem. I suspect that those may be low quality imitator of the HL Red390, but I cannot rule out completely a quality control issue by HL.

After I install the 390 motors on my tank, I run the motor at full speed. The motor case temperature stablize in about 10 minutes and does not exceed 20 degrees F above ambient. Then, I know for sure I get a good motor.

Comment

Looks like the Wathersons have the black 380s, not 540/550s.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                                      Looks like the Wathersons have the black 380s, not 540/550s.
                                      If so, the internally fan cooled Red390 will be a good move.

In the picture, the black motors seem to have a larger diameter than the Red390. A measurement of the OD of the Walterson motor case can easily clarify that. The large motor drive gear also makes me suspect the Walterson motor were low rpm motors.

Comment

The waltersen's motors on these transmission kits are 380, and yes you are right they are low RPM. I'm disabled and on days when I'm not out messing around with things like those 6x6s I can sit around and mess around with different things like this I really don't know if those red Motors are going to work or not what's real nice is the waltersens comes with the tool kit that has pulley pullers on it and stuff I don't know if they'll work or not I was just going to give it a shot just for the heck of it this is an old set of Transmissions and they're kind of noisy. As far as breaking on the red Motors that power source that they're sitting on top of by the way that makes those red Motors look really big it's just cuz they're forward of the Boston's Transmissions when I took that picture, I break them in and water real slowly and then I'll bring the RPMs up and down and put them in reverse and do them equally that way and but I've always broke my brush motors in in water. Then I clean them out with electrical contact cleaner then WD-40 to get any water out of it and then a dielectric silicone spray for the bearings. It's just one of those things I'm playing around with, and all the input I get from you guys helps also cuz you guys have been doing this a lot longer than I have been!

Comment

Working...
                                        X