X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A34 Comet Printed Build

I took soooo long to build this one. I started printing back in March, and just finished it. For me, that's a really long time. Because I did so little over so long, I didn't take many pictures. So this will be short.

This was a pretty easy build. All the parts fit well. Getting the springs in the suspension tensioned correctly at the beginning was a bit tough as I had to guess. When the tank is finished it will be difficult to go back in and change the springs out. So, I put slightly heavier springs in around the gear boxes and softer springs in the front. Seems to run pretty well without any rocking to the front or back. I honestly couldn't recall what spring went where, it was trial and error, (should have taken notes, sorry).

Only two parts were tough on this tank. I had a really hard time printing the track links. Early in the process I was able to print several at a time. After 50 or so, I began to have problems, (older Ender 3 Pro). I changed the filament, replaced the print head, build plate, and made countless changes to the file, (temp, speed, retraction, etc.), but nothing worked. Finally, I reduced the print quality and was able to print 1 link at a time. I had 2 friends try to print them, (both Prusa machines), but couldn't get them to work either. I can't figure out why. Nonetheless, the tank is done and runs well. The other challenge is the recoil. The barrel is extremely loose in the mantlet and servo tray. It wiggles so much, it looks like it will fall out when driving. Modifying the diameter of the barrel, or adding a guide in the tray can help. As I didn't want to edit the file and print it again, I wrapped the barrel in sheet styrene to thicken it up and it works better. And I had to drill out the barrel a little to get the IR bulb into the muzzle break with wiring.

I also modified the upper hull to use magnets to access the battery.

It uses the CanSou TK26/YK26 motherboard and transmitter. It works well. Speed can be a bit jumpy as the tank is very light. The sounds can be individually selected, matching different engines, the guns, rotation, etc. The sound quality is pretty poor, and different speakers only made marginal differences. But the whole system is inexpensive, is Tamiya compatible, and will be fine for occasional use.

On to the photos:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7697.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	385259 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7793.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	385260 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7794.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	385261 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7795.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	385262
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7986.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	385263 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7985.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	385264 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7984.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	385265 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7987.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	385266 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7988.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	385267 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7989.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	385268 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7995.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	385269

Nice Build...Thanks for sharing. I love the picture of the trio.

Still working on my T-54 and I did buy the Hellcat plans. Starting to get the hang of PETG...A lot of work and waiting LOL.

Comment

I had the same problem with the tracks for the Sheridan, I ended up going from a skirt to a brim and it seems to be working. Just weird how like you I was able to print 30 at one time and then it all turned to custard

Comment

Good looking vehicles there. So strange because I printed those Comet tracks with zero issues. Didn't even need supports. The brim just pealed right off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Comet tracks.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.3 KB ID:	385330 Click image for larger version  Name:	Comet tracks 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.2 KB ID:	385329

Comment

Working...
        X