You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you convert heng long tanks to 360 degree rotation, easily?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you convert heng long tanks to 360 degree rotation, easily?

I’m looking at getting some new tanks, but I would like to know if a few tanks I want can be converted.

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by MrChef View Post
      Yes.
      Thank you Mr chef.

Comment

I just file teeth into the turret stop on the ring gear.
        RC tank parts and accessories I make
        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Yes.
          He asked "EASILY?". The answer is NO. It needs an expensive conversion kit and some elbow grease.

It is much easier for him to get a version that already has 360 degrees turret rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

He asked "EASILY?". The answer is NO. It needs an expensive conversion kit and some elbow grease.

I'd guess then "easily" is a relative term.

IMHO it's easy.

You can do it for free and a little work the way Rich Johnson mentioned. Very cheap, Free and pretty easy.

You can get just a 360 degree ring and install it. for between $9 -$12. and just not rotate it too many times. https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...0-360-variants

You could get the "slip ring" wire kit for $19. https://www.toucanhobby.com/products...e7b15653&_ss=r

You could get the whole "slip ring" wire and 360 degree ring kit for $22. https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...t-rotation-kit

Comment

There is s spot on the ring gear that acts as a stop. If you’re comfortable doing it, you can cut it so it has teeth. If done correctly it is now a 360 degree ring. Just don’t spin the turret so much the wires wrap up.
              Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Wot they say. Cut and file two new teeth in the turret ring, and add a slip ring for the wires. Only done it once to my Abrams, and never found a need for it, so haven’t done in the rest of the fleet.
                Bear in mind, the only reason to spin a turret to the rear is for laying up, or transport. No tank commander would drive out of a situation with the gun facing backwards, exposing the rear end. Rather, they would reverse out with the gun and frontal armour exposed to the enemy.

Comment

I'd guess then "easily" is a relative term.

IMHO it's easy.

You can do it for free and a little work the way Rich Johnson mentioned. Very cheap, Free and pretty easy.

You can get just a 360 degree ring and install it. for between $9 -$12. and just not rotate it too many times. https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...0-360-variants

You could get the "slip ring" wire kit for $19. https://www.toucanhobby.com/products...e7b15653&_ss=r

You could get the whole "slip ring" wire and 360 degree ring kit for $22. https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...t-rotation-kit

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                    There is s spot on the ring gear that acts as a stop. If you’re comfortable doing it, you can cut it so it has teeth. If done correctly it is now a 360 degree ring. Just don’t spin the turret so much the wires wrap up.
                    I might test that on my cheap tank lol

Comment

Originally posted by Meter Rat View Post
                      Wot they say. Cut and file two new teeth in the turret ring, and add a slip ring for the wires. Only done it once to my Abrams, and never found a need for it, so haven’t done in the rest of the fleet.
                      Bear in mind, the only reason to spin a turret to the rear is for laying up, or transport. No tank commander would drive out of a situation with the gun facing backwards, exposing the rear end. Rather, they would reverse out with the gun and frontal armour exposed to the enemy.
                      I would say though, many tanks drive around a lot going forward with the turret facing the rear and barrel stowed. I do this with my m60s and m51 and m50 often when off-roading rough terrain etc.
                      RC tank parts and accessories I make
                      www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

I've got like 40 tanks either built or in progress of being built and I don't think any of them have a slip ring as it can induce electrical noise in the IR circuits. Plus the wires are small and easily broken. I've never felt the need to spin my turret endlessly, but to each his own. I wouldn't call the install easy either as it can vary depending on what version of tank MFU you are installing it on, what options are in the turret, using servos or motors for recoil/elevation, and whether you are using BB or IR.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                          I've got like 40 tanks either built or in progress of being built and I don't think any of them have a slip ring as it can induce electrical noise in the IR circuits. Plus the wires are small and easily broken. I've never felt the need to spin my turret endlessly, but to each his own. I wouldn't call the install easy either as it can vary depending on what version of tank MFU you are installing it on, what options are in the turret, using servos or motors for recoil/elevation, and whether you are using BB or IR.
                          This ^^^^^^^ 👍👍👍👍

Comment

To reinforce what others said:
                            Adding it is easy, making it work great is not. If you got it out of the box and aren't doing anything to it like adding aftermarket battle units or boards and retaining its stock wiring, they will work great. Easier to buy it that way out of the box as it is equipped with the slip ring and 360 gear. Nothing about the non 360 models are proprietary that would prevent you from making it go 360. Like Rich said, cutting teeth into the gear is enough, though your wires might not like getting twisted after a full rotation or two.

I end up deleting this function when I get it because I end up adding more function than the original slip ring will provide and I hate the small wires that I have to make connections to..

Comment

We seem to have a consenses that a 360 degree turret rotation is an useless idea that serves no meaningful purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post
                                We seem to have a consenses that a 360 degree turret rotation is an useless idea that serves no meaningful purpose.
                                Agreed. I had bought the 360 ring awhile back for my Panther. I redid my Panther recently and still had it in the parts bin. I decided not to. I don't use the feature on the 2 tanks I have that had it from the factory. I won't use it. I won't miss it. I won't, or anyone else that may run it won't accidentally spin the turret too many times. So, yep.

Comment

Agreed. I had bought the 360 ring awhile back for my Panther. I redid my Panther recently and still had it in the parts bin. I decided not to. I don't use the feature on the 2 tanks I have that had it from the factory. I won't use it. I won't miss it. I won't, or anyone else that may run it won't accidentally spin the turret too many times. So, yep.
                                  Oh, alright. I thought it would be a useful addition to a tank. Thank you all for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post

I would say though, many tanks drive around a lot going forward with the turret facing the rear and barrel stowed. I do this with my m60s and m51 and m50 often when off-roading rough terrain etc.
                                    May be this is necessary when battling, but I find just swinging the turret and barrel as far over the rear deck as possible, suffices. Although I did stuff the barrel into the ground on the Challenger the other day, as I wasn’t concentrating.

As an aside. My old man was a tank driver in the UK just after WW2, and if you had a particular cocky commander, who thought he knew it all, could be induced to a right rollicking, by going over terrain where the barrel may get stuffed in to the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                    X