Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank IR accuracy

Hi folks,
    I have many Heng Long tanks. My son and I did a test battle between several of the models and found that the gun doesn't have to be aimed at all at the other tank to hit it. I have tried finding posts about this with no success. What gives? It's not very fun if I can hit another tank while aiming 60 degrees off from it. We taped soda straws over the IR emitter to narrow the beam, but this seems like a kludge.

Most of the tank "clubs" that do IR battling require the IR emitter to be set back in a tube at least 8mm for this reason. Most of the HL tanks have the emitter just poking through a hole in the turret so it creates a lot of scatter of the IR. Keep in mind that when you look at an LED, the light comes from all sides. Same for an IR LED, it projects in all directions. Mounting the IR LED in a tube is to focus the beam forward.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8681.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	391934 Here is an example of my Pershing. The tube didn't end up this long in the final product, but it is basically a straw cut to size.
      Attached Files
      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Maybe you should use a metal tube instead of a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
          Most of the tank "clubs" that do IR battling require the IR emitter to be set back in a tube at least 8mm for this reason. Most of the HL tanks have the emitter just poking through a hole in the turret so it creates a lot of scatter of the IR. Keep in mind that when you look at an LED, the light comes from all sides. Same for an IR LED, it projects in all directions. Mounting the IR LED in a tube is to focus the beam forward.
          Thank you, That answers my question.

Comment

Originally posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8681.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	391934 Here is an example of my Pershing. The tube didn't end up this long in the final product, but it is basically a straw cut to size.
            That's essentially what I ended up doing. I'll make tubes similar to yours out of tubing that fits the IR emitter hole. That's a beautiful paint job.

Comment

Thank you I basically follow this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmp0QSJ7VeE&t=1022s I spent about $70 on all the paint supplies, but It was very satisfying to finish and I still admire her on the shelf. Like all projects I still need to finish the tarps.
              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

One other factor that we've found, especially when stronger IR bulbs are used: the IR beam reflects off surfaces just as a visible beam would. Fire at a smooth surface like a wall and you'll see what I mean.
                Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Working...
                X