X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/16 scale length

Trying to find out the actual skill length of a 76 mm m1 for Sherman tank?I have what is called a 76 mm barrel for the Sherman tank but it seems really long.

76mm is the bore size of the canon not the length. Bore=projectile or shell size in diameter.

Comment

I known that. I can't find the length of the 76mm barrel mounted on the Sherman

Comment

Found it! The 76mm had a length of 168in so 1/16 scale is roughly 10in

Comment

Originally posted by gwHawker View Post
          Found it! The 76mm had a length of 168in so 1/16 scale is roughly 10in
          How long is the 76 mm gun on your 1/16 scale Sherman RC tank? What brand is it? Can you show a picture?

Comment

It's the HL. The 76mm is 10.5 which is the right length for 1/16 scale but it looks to long.

Comment

Is your length data mantlet to tip, or breech to tip?
              Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

The 76mm gun was a lot longer gun than the 105mm howitzer on the Sherman it replaced or the short 75mm gun.

Comment

Mantlet to tip

Comment

On the real tank I know they cut 15 in off the length of the barrel to help with the imbalance of the extra length of the barrel. But scale wise that's less than an inch and it still leaves the barrel longer than what I see in the pictures of a m4 Sherman with a 76 in it

Comment

Reference photo

Comment

Nice pic! The one on the left looks like a Firefly

Comment

It's the HL. The 76mm is 10.5 which is the right length for 1/16 scale but it looks too long.
                          The right scale length looks too long. Is there a contradiction in your statement?
                          On the real tank I know they cut 15 in off the length of the barrel to help with the imbalance of the extra length of the barrel. But scale wise that's less than an inch and it still leaves the barrel longer than what I see in the pictures of a m4 Sherman with a 76 in it.
                          Do you mean it should look correct if you cut off an inch from the RC tank barrel? Nothing to prevent you from doing that. It is helpful information for all of those who want to convert to the 76mm gun.

I kept the 105mm howitzer on my HL Sherman when adding barrel recoil.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5180.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	393200 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5218.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	393202 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	393201

Comment

But did ya know we shared them with the Soviets?
                            Attached Files

Comment

No, I didn't know the Russians acquired Sherman's.

Comment

Technically they didn't "acquire" them. We "loaned" them the tanks, but we just never asked for them back. You can read all about the Lend-Lease Act (1941)

https://www.archives.gov/milestone-d...lend-lease-act

The US could remain neutral since were weren't part of the war yet and still give aid where it was needed. It started with the Brits and was expanded to include Russia.

Comment

It must have been the Grant Lee tanks. Sherman was in production till 1942

Comment

The act was created in 1941, it didn't end in 1941. You can read all about the 3000+ M4A2 Shermans we sent to Russia along with the M3s: https://tankhistoria.com/wwii/emcha/#google_vignette

Comment

Working...
                                    X