X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice.

As a few of you know, I'm currently doing a Sherman conversion build from stock WW2 to the Post war Yugo version to make Oddballs tank. Here's the thing. The last hurdle was the Gun Mantle. The HL version in not correct for what I'm doing. I tried just swapping out the Mantles but the size and construction is different. It's a small detail, but I can get a full Turret with full electronics and Barrel recoil for $150.00. Would it be worth the price for something as small as this? Would it nor really be noticed with all the other things attached to the tank? What do you all think?

Unless you are planning on entering it in a scale competition, don't sweat it. As long as people say "hey, that's from Kelly's Heroes", you've accomplished your goal. Many of us are focused on functionality, for battles and such, so we don't count rivets. I know of one Panzer III at our battles that's done in a Star Wars Rebel Alliance scheme. I have a Gatling Gun Panther. Many 1/16 scale tanks have compromises to fit running gear. Nobody in our clubs would say "oh, you can't use that, it's not the correct mantle". My 2 cents.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
      Unless you are planning on entering it in a scale competition, don't sweat it. As long as people say "hey, that's from Kelly's Heroes", you've accomplished your goal. Many of us are focused on functionality, for battles and such, so we don't count rivets. I know of one Panzer III at our battles that's done in a Star Wars Rebel Alliance scheme. I have a Gatling Gun Panther. Many 1/16 scale tanks have compromises to fit running gear. Nobody in our clubs would say "oh, you can't use that, it's not the correct mantle". My 2 cents.
      That's what I was hoping to hear. I figured with all the "Stuff " I'll have hanging all over this tank People would be more interested in all the other Movie details I'll have put on this. Having people recognize it as Oddballs tank will be mission accomplished for me. I've gone crazy enough with it already.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris curran View Post
        As a few of you know, I'm currently doing a Sherman conversion build from stock WW2 to the Post war Yugo version to make Oddballs tank. Here's the thing. The last hurdle was the Gun Mantle. The HL version in not correct for what I'm doing. I tried just swapping out the Mantles but the size and construction is different. It's a small detail, but I can get a full Turret with full electronics and Barrel recoil for $150.00. Would it be worth the price for something as small as this? Would it nor really be noticed with all the other things attached to the tank? What do you all think?
        Take a look at Shapeways. They have a number of 3D printed options for M4 mantles design around the HL Sherman. Lots of people use Shapeways 3D printed parts.

Even without the correct mantle the importance piece is the barrel and getting it right because it is more obvious then the mantle. Don't use the HL "firefly" barrels they are way to long and thick. Again here too you should be able to find a barrel on Shapeways or check with RichJohnson Models N Stuff. They have a correct 76mm barrel used in their HL T23 turret conversion kits. You might be able to get them to sell you the barrel only.

But even if you don't use the correct barrel and mantle people will recognize what you have built and only the extreme end of the hobby spectrum (1%) will ever notice. The rest of us will be like "good job man" or "that looks like a fun tank". All that matters is that you are happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Take a look at Shapeways. They have a number of 3D printed options for M4 mantles design around the HL Sherman. Lots of people use Shapeways 3D printed parts.

Even without the correct mantle the importance piece is the barrel and getting it right because it is more obvious then the mantle. Don't use the HL "firefly" barrels they are way to long and thick. Again here too you should be able to find a barrel on Shapeways or check with RichJohnson Models N Stuff. They have a correct 76mm barrel used in their HL T23 turret conversion kits. You might be able to get them to sell you the barrel only.

But even if you don't use the correct barrel and mantle people will recognize what you have built and only the extreme end of the hobby spectrum (1%) will ever notice. The rest of us will be like "good job man" or "that looks like a fun tank". All that matters is that you are happy with it.

Thanks man. I addressed the Barrel issue already. I got a metal long 76 for it. then I made a mock up Muzzle break I have my progress posted so far on my Build thread here. I'll check out shapeways. Thanks man. Much appreciated. Update. Shapeways had a plastic mantle for under 20 bucks. For that price, It's worth a shot.. It's even for the HL Sherman su it should just screw right on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
            All that matters is that you are happy with it.
            ^^^This^^^

Comment

I’d notice. And you have the wrong shape speaker. 🤣🤣🤣 Seriously, like everyone has said. 99% of people would just say.”Hay that is the tank from Kelly’s Hero’s”. As I know Jack 💩 about Shermans and their various configurations, how different are the mantles? Could you not build or modify your existing one?

Comment

Originally posted by Meter Rat View Post
                I’d notice. And you have the wrong shape speaker. 🤣🤣🤣 Seriously, like everyone has said. 99% of people would just say.”Hay that is the tank from Kelly’s Hero’s”. As I know Jack 💩 about Shermans and their various configurations, how different are the mantles? Could you not build or modify your existing one?
                Wrong shaped Speaker? Nice try "Old Bean". Yeah, like what you said. people saying ”Hay that is the tank from Kelly’s Hero’s” is the goal here. I tend to go a little crazy though. It's the Re-enactor in me. Now the Mantles are much different. One is really war and the other is late war. Like this.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MrChef View Post

^^^This^^^
                  Thanks man. Maybe I got a bit wigged after all the issues with my Tiger. I was like " I must be 1000000000000000000000% correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even with my fake ass fantasy Hollywood tank. Now I realize, the reason for such strict rules on the tiger 1 are because it's such a beloved and Iconic tank.

Comment

Working...
                  X