X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A long overdue introduction

Hey Guys, I just recently joined here so I thought some background might be in order. I bought my first tank in 2012 and joined RCU the following year, where I have two screen names, Max-U52 and Crius. If I post from my phone it says I'm Max, and if I post from the home PC it says I'm Crius. The Max-U52 name is a tribute to my maternal grandfather Max, who died for the Fatherland in 1941 aboard the U-52. The Crius handle is kind of a joke between me and a buddy. He had a dog named Zeus, who was the son of Chronos, so I started calling him Chronos, and since Crius was Chronos' brother, and Uncle to Zeus, I just had to use it.

I'm not in an area where IR battles are an option, so I'm into all kinds of projects, and I've started messin' about with 1/6 scale. So far the collection of 1/6 includes an M5 Stuart, two ROChobby jeeps, one kitbashed into a desert raider from North Africa in 1940, a recently acquired Mark One Jagdpanther that will hopefully be fully operational by summer, a 1/6 1936 Mercedes Benz 540K, a bunch of different accessories like figures and a static kubelwagen (I'm also converting a dragon DAK Kubel to RC), and the pride of my collection, a Blitzkrieg Armor 1/6 Hetzer that I really re-worked, including 350 watt, 24 volt scooter motors and chain drive, FPV, and a main gun that shoots .50 caliber paintballs.

A few photos, starting with one of the jeeps

static bicycle

the Hetzer

and some 1/16 stuff, like the Tauchpanzer (one of my very favorites that's been extensively upgraded)

One of 5 Tigers

a 3D printed CCKW in 1/16

And there's tons more. I have a youtube channel if you want to nose around there, and my channel in NOT monetized so I don't make a dime from it, so I don't care if you like or subscribe or any of that crap, I just want people to enjoy the channel and maybe see some cool stuff. If you use the filter to show oldest videos first it's kind of like a chronological story line of my RC journey.

The youtube channel (Gary Hoff is a pen name)

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys and learning from you, and hopefully a few might learn at least a bit from me.

🐯

I used to be into 1/6 scale 20 years ago. Here are some of the pictures from my old house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	399456 Click image for larger version

Name:	116Picture_011.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	399457 Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 015a.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	399458

Comment

Name:	116Picture_013.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	399460 Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Picture 110.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	399461 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0057.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	399462

Comment

Name:	116IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	399464 Click image for larger version

Name:	116IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	399465 Click image for larger version

Name:	116IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	399466

Comment

Welcome to the forum Max-U52/Crius. Thanks for the introduction.

Ohhhh I just knew DavidN was gonna get in on this action. Amazing collections guys 👍👍👍

Comment

That's one hell of a collection. You must have lots of space. Are any of those RC? I still have lots of 1/16 stuff, and we haven't even got started on the 1/16th trucks. If you saw the video of the 1/6 nebelwerfer that shoots bottle rockets, you might like the 1/16 MLRS I have in mind. Maybe I should start a thread on 1/6 RC conversions. I still plan to turn a 1/6 ROChobby jeep into a rocket launcher. Already got the 3/8 bottle rockets, now to get another jeep. Trying to hold out for a good sale. And I also want to convert another 1/6 Kubel to RC, and I already have the DAK with balloon tires, and also a schwimmwagen. That one will be last, I want the experience before I tackle that one, since I want it fully functional.

Comment

Originally posted by MrChef View Post
              Welcome to the forum Max-U52/Crius. Thanks for the introduction.

Ohhhh I just knew DavidN was gonna get in on this action. Amazing collections guys 👍👍👍
              Thanks, MrChef. Haven't I seen you at RCTW? I've thought about trying to go back there, but I'm still rather miffed about that one. It's kinda weird, too, 'cause I rarely hold a grudge so long. Guess I'm turnin' into a Grumpy Old Man.

Comment

Originally posted by Max-U52 View Post

Thanks, MrChef. Haven't I seen you at RCTW? I've thought about trying to go back there, but I'm still rather miffed about that one. It's kinda weird, too, 'cause I rarely hold a grudge so long. Guess I'm turnin' into a Grumpy Old Man.

Yes sir same Chef. I don't know what or when it happened to you but I've been having a good experience there. I also bounce around Facebook RC Tank groups but they tend to be more toxic drama.

Comment

I only have the 2 R/C M5 tanks from 21th Century. The rest of my 1/6 vehicles were static.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                    I only have the 2 R/C M5 tanks from 21th Century. The rest of my 1/6 vehicles were static.
                    I remember the Ultimate Soldier 21st Century Toys 1/6 scale M5 Stuart RC tank of the early 2000 era well. It was long before the time of proportional control. The Stuart tank scale allows it to run well on outdoor rough terrain. I was limited to the 1:24 scale indoor bonded Marui Abrams.

Name:	image.png
Views:	68
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	399538

Comment

Yes! I still have these 2.....

Name:	IMG_8095.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	399540

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                        Yes! I still have these 2.....

Name:	IMG_8095.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	399540
                        Were everything in them original? Did you do any upgrades to either?

Comment

Well. Not messing about with your introduction. Some great models.

Comment

I also have an M5 I got from ebay a couple years ago. Still brand new in the box, and it's the RC version but yes, it's very toy like with no proportionality at all. The good news is that it runs on 12 volts so I have an IBU2 Pro set aside for it. Like so many other projects, I just need to get to it. I also have an M3 scout car and I already have the donor truck to make that one RC, and I just acquired a DiD Sd.Kfz.251C, the all metal version, and I'm still trying to figger out if I'll be able to RC this puppy. It's a beast as it is, weighing over 50 pounds, and everything is welded together. I had hoped I'd be able to unbolt stuff to take it apart, but no such luck. That one will take quite a bit of thought before starting. The M5 will be much easier, just have to get off my duff and get 'er done.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post
                              Were everything in them original? Did you do any upgrades to either?
                              Except the batteries, everything is original in both tanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X