X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new ir receivers

messing around with a new receiver variant, half the height of the normal ones, less prone to receiving reflected shots (at the cost of ~20% range).
    so far prelim testing shows that the range reduction doesn't significantly affect gameplay as long as you have an upgraded ir bulb, under noon sun we're going from ~150ft down to ~120ft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	435810451_1374661153252190_6368674264876006187_n (1).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	401150
    left normal variant, right new variant. notice height difference

lights are a little blinding...

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-11 222527.png
Views:	103
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	401151

Originally posted by LegoDEI View Post
    messing around with a new receiver variant, half the height of the normal ones, less prone to receiving reflected shots (at the cost of ~20% range).
    so far prelim testing shows that the range reduction doesn't significantly affect gameplay as long as you have an upgraded ir bulb, under noon sun we're going from ~150ft down to ~120ft.

Name:	435810451_1374661153252190_6368674264876006187_n (1).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	401150
    left normal variant, right new variant. notice height difference

lights are a little blinding...

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-11 222527.png
Views:	103
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	401151
    There is an old saying. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Unless there is an issue with obtaining parts to produce the current version the minor improvements in LEDs, splash reduction and reduced max range is just not worth it. Splash is an issue that will not go away and ONLY happens in very "close in tight terrain" with light colored buildings. Even Tamiyas IR receivers are not immune from it in close combat terrain.

There also appears to be a couple of other issues, the one that stands out most is the mounting method. It does not look to be compatible with the current method (exposed 5 pins) and mounts so many people already have installed aka not backwards compatible. Next being "shorter" in height actually will makes it harder to mount as the mounting hardware will need to be taller to lift the receiver up where it can clear turret obstruction. This could result in not being able to close hatches when the receiver is not on the tank.

Comment

LegoDEI, please do not move forward with this new variant. It is not going to improve the operation and will only cause more problems. At other clubs tanks shoot each other at long distances where your current offering of receiver works great.

Speaking of these, I made a video for people about installing the receivers.
      demonstrating my cables for the Henglong 7.1 MFU to the LegoDEI IR receiver.the 7.0 cable is almost the the same but the mfu plugs are different.using a Lego...
      RC tank parts and accessories I make
      www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

hi, so to allay some concerns, the current version isn't going away, it will still be available for clubs that want to keep on using them. I understand that the san diego field is very large and needs every bit of range yall can use; this new variant is not targeted for you guys. This is meant for indoor areas or smaller outdoor fields used by those like the long beach club, where range isn't a concern at all, and reflections are a real issue. It also addresses the more price sensitive segment of new players, a lot of whom are younger and have less disposable income; the new design is able to be offered in bulk at much lower prices. The increase in price reflected on Etsy for the current design (V2) is mostly just folding in the shipping cost for US buyers and catching up with inflation over the past 5 years. You will also still be able to get them from me in person at the original price.

Comment

Thankyou so much for the clarification on the new product and how it was intended to be used.
          yes inflation is killing everything these days

Comment

I think as long as tankers know what their operational environment is going to be and choose correctly, it will be a useful addition. I've seen white buildings used for ricochets in closer battles. However, I will use the originals since my battles are largely outside and at a substantial range.
            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Ricocheting happens, even Tamiya are susceptible. We have learned that we should not paint buildings white. Since my first ones I have not done any more white props but I still have the white ones I made first..

Comment

Working...
              X