Clear All

• Official Discussion: Tamiya Scania R470 Highline 1/14 Scale Tractor Truck

Tamiya Scania R470 Highline 1/14 Scale Tractor Truck - KIT

Click image for larger version

Name:	mastera.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	263876

Version Info: This is a special Orange Edition of the Tractor Truck Scania R470 Highline. The ABS plastic body pieces that normally come in white come pre-painted in Metallic Orange for this special edition kit. Assembly is required. Minimum 4+ channel radio system, ESC, battery, charger and servos will need to be purchased separately.

Tamiya is world-renowned for producing industry-leading RC scale tractor trucks for generations. The Tamiya Scania R470 Highline is powered by a 540 motor and 3-speed transmission, its durable drivetrain spins both rear dually axles supported on a realistic leaf spring and shock suspension. The metal C-Channel ladder frame keeps the power to the pavement when hauling optional accessories. Your Tamiya truck is backed by Motion RC's world-renowned customer service and technical support. Drive on!

Visit the product page HERE for more information
    540-Sized Motor and 3-Speed Transmission

The 540-sized brushed motor applies power through a selectable 3-speed transmission to drive dual rear axles.
    Exceptional Scale Detail

Scale details surround this truck for exceptional realism.
    Working Hitch

Includes a working hitch for towing trailer accessories.
    FEATURES:
    • Exceptional scale detail and realism brings this truck to life on every level
    • Includes a powerful 540-sized brushed motor driven by a 3-speed transmission
    • Faithfully reproduced cabin tilts forward separately from fenders, just like on the full-size truck
    • Durable ladder frame chassis consists of aluminum channel and resin cross member
    • Kit-included coupler enables use of any of Tamiya's currently available 1/14 scale trailer
    • Front and rear suspension consists of metal leaf springs and coil spring dampers
    • Propeller shaft transmits power from front mounted motor to rear wheels
    • Aerodynamic body is precisely reproduced and front grill features mesh material
    • Body parts are pre-painted in Metallic Orange

James, great to see the semi trucks added! I bought the Scania R620 version during early lockdown as I'd admired them for some time. We have quite a few 1:1 Scanias on the roads here in New Zealand.

I can honestly say that it is THE most satisfying RC build I've ever done. Somewhere in between building an RC car and a helicopter due to the large amount of metal parts in the kit. Quite a bit of painting too so a heaps of fun if you are into a bit of modelling.

These trucks really are something special in the detail department. They have all the detail of a plastic model kit with the fun of RC. The Tamiya fit and finish is also second to none in my book. Since then, I've also bought a Tamiya 40ft container trailer to accompany it and a sound system!

If anyone's been considering one, go for it! Its another level of RC fun! Will post some pics of mine soon.

James, be great to see some scale hop ups offered in time too to make the rabbit hole just that little bit deeper :)

Cheers
    Kurt

Comment

Name:	6663ECBC-7362-4995-B0C9-596B27A5A8BB.jpeg
Views:	1270
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	267411Click image for larger version

Name:	D60C6E7B-AE14-4CBA-AAA2-0C3CED3B24B3.jpeg
Views:	1140
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	267412 Not quite same model but similar. Here’s a pic of mine. These trucks sure have a great presence! Sorry it’s an indoor picture but it’s late winter here and a bit of an overcast day today. In the sun this colour really pops. I believe the colour on the full size is called electric blue .....

Comment

Couple more pics at Baysim80s request....

Name:	1BFE2443-CD35-47DE-9215-B282EBC64A5A.jpeg
Views:	960
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	270038Click image for larger version

Name:	8541AC70-B059-4F07-9B9D-72CE3E4CF342.jpeg
Views:	869
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	270039

Comment

Beetlemankurt that’s a very nice rig! I like the interior color and your driver too. I really like the looks of those Scania’s. Is your container aluminum? I was surprised that the full box on my box trailer was aluminum. The only plastic was the corners and the subfloor.

Comment

Originally posted by Baysim80 View Post
            Beetlemankurt that’s a very nice rig! I like the interior color and your driver too. I really like the looks of those Scania’s. Is your container aluminum? I was surprised that the full box on my box trailer was aluminum. The only plastic was the corners and the subfloor.
            Cheers! I’m stoked with how it’s come out and absolutely love it. Heaps of fun to drive. I swapped out the kit motor for the Tamiya TR motor designed for these trucks and it goes really well with heaps of low end torque and it slowed it down a fair bit.

The container trailer has an aluminium floor and is bordered around the edges by aluminium as well. The side panels though are actually very thick abs plastic which you have to cut out and join. The whole thing uses up a fair amount of spray cans but looks great when done.

The container Itself can be released from the trailer with the twist locks and you can stick a couple of smaller containers on if you felt the need. I believe the trailer itself is mostly the same construction as the reefer trailer. It’s pretty darn heavy when it’s complete that’s for sure! I’m sure the box trailer will be pretty hefty too.

Would be cool to see a trailer build thread or two on here as well I reckon. Are you going to stick lights in your box trailer as well to complete the look?

I find the quality, fit and finish of these Tamiya kits simply amazing. Everything fits just as it should and is a real please to assemble. Yep, they are pricey but I can see why after building one. It’s all worth it in my book!

Have a great weekend, Kurt

Comment

Beetlemankurt I agree about the quality and even though pricey they are defiantly worth it. No regrets here. I think I will do lights but I’m not sure when. I know it will complete the looks though especially on those night runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Baysim80 View Post
                Beetlemankurt I agree about the quality and even though pricey they are defiantly worth it. No regrets here. I think I will do lights but I’m not sure when. I know it will complete the looks though especially on those night runs.
                Keep us updated for sure! Would love to see pics etc

Comment

Originally posted by Beetlemankurt View Post
                  Couple more pics at Baysim80s request....

Name:	1BFE2443-CD35-47DE-9215-B282EBC64A5A.jpeg
Views:	960
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	270038Click image for larger version

Name:	8541AC70-B059-4F07-9B9D-72CE3E4CF342.jpeg
Views:	869
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	270039
                  That looks fantastic! I hope one comes my way for a video eventually

Comment

James I decided to do the trailer lights sooner then later and went a little above and beyond the tamiya trailer light kit, which I also installed, and custom installed the marker lights. Here is one pick but I have a whole slew of pics on the king hauler thread. Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

That looks fantastic! I hope one comes my way for a video eventually
                      Cheers James! I hope so too. Im sure you’d love it.

Comment

That Maersk trailer really ties it all together, as does the chrome elements glinting in the sunlight!

Where did you get the driver figure?
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hey Alpha, thanks! .....Driver is the Tamiya 1:14 tractor truck driver figure. Comes as a small assembly kit that you glue together and paint. The arms and legs are able to be positioned as you like so they can fit in any of the Tamiya trucks. Be good to add to your product line I reckon.

Cheers
                          Kurt

Comment

Beetlemankurt I’m curious if you got that sound system and got it installed yet? The Lesu 3T sound unit. I think that’s the one you’re putting in. I’m curious to see what your thoughts are on it.

Comment

Hey Baysim, yep sure did. The sound unit is great. It came with a very small speaker so I quickly replaced that to get a bit of bass going on and mounted the speaker in the roof cavity. I like the fact that the unit is so small, it’s mounted in the front of the cab under the dashboard and you can’t even see it.

I have noticed that it’s not as high revving as the Servonaut unit in first gear but still sounds great and matches to the speed of the truck nicely. There are not quite as many features as the Tamiya unit but the basics are there which is enough for me. Essentially, for a small unit at a very reasonable price, I’d certainly buy another in future. Naturally, I love Tamiya products and definitely considered the MFU but it’s simply too expensive here in NZ.

Ive also just hooked up the Ob-1 tractor truck light unit (still got some lights to add, fog etc). It hooked up to the Lesu sound unit just fine but was a hair pulling excercise to programme. That aside, it’s up and working and it looks great. Gotta get the trailer lights next which hook up via Bluetooth to the main unit which will be fun.

BTW your Rigs are looking fantastic!

Cheers
                              Kurt

Comment

Beetlemankurt im glad to hear that there are options out there. Especially smaller ones to be able to keep the interior detail intact. I’ve been chatting with rudinator on the king hauler thread and he has come across a diy arduino sound system that sounds like it might be a good option for these things too. Everything appears to be cheaper then the MFC units but also sound like a bit less of a plug and play option. But in the modeling world what does that matter right! Im excited and can’t wait to see yours once you get the lights fully installed and going. Keep us posted as you make progress And post some pics. I think we should do some pics that show off our area we live too. When the smoke clears up here I’ll do a photo shoot at a nearby park so you can get a sense of the pikes peak area.

Comment

Baysim80, yeah I saw the discussion with Rudinator about the other unit, always great to have options around for sure. I’ll certainly post some pics when I’ve got all the lights in the Scania. Love your idea about posting some pics around where we live, I’ll give that some thought Over the coming week and contribute. Pikes Peak must be awesome, I grew up watching TV coverage of the Motor racing and especially a number of Kiwis that have raced successfully there over the years. What a magic spot!

Happy trucking, Kurt.

Comment

Well, while I was happy with the standard Tamiya cab on this truck, I wanted to improve the ‘scaleness’ of this rig and ordered a Verkerk M100 facelift kit for it. This replaces most of the panels on the front of the truck and corrects the curves particularly around the headlights while at the same time, turning it into a later model Scania (around 2013-14). Here’s how it went! Sorry about the sideways pic, couldn’t figure out how to rotate it and it’s getting late ....

cheers
                                    Kurt

Comment

Beetlemankurt that is fantastic!
                                      I love the new look. That kit was defiantly worth it. I liked your truck allot before but now.... now I really want an R620.
                                      Wow!

Comment

Cheers Baysim, I think that an R620 would look great sitting next to the rest of your fleet! You know you NEED one 😎......

Cheers
                                        Kurt

Comment

Working...
                                        X