Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Thread: Tamiya Mercedes Benz Arocs 3348 6x4 Red 1/14 Scale Dump Truck

Tamiya Mercedes Benz Arocs 3348 6x4 Red 1/14 Scale Dump Truck - KIT

Version Info: This truck is a KIT. Assembly is required. Minimum 4+ channel radio system, ESC, battery, charger and servo will need to be purchased separately.

This is a special edition of the R/C Mercedes Benz Arocs tipper truck kit, the stylish 3-axle truck with movable bed and distinctive bucket tooth grille. It is a great option for R/C enthusiasts without the time or confidence to apply a paint job to their creation, as parts come pre-painted in TS-8 Italian red (cab) and TS-17 Gloss aluminum (rear bed), and given a urethane clear coating for a beautiful, lasting finish.

Tamiya is world-renowned for producing industry-leading RC scale tractor trucks for generations. The Tamiya Mercedes Benz Arocs 3348 6x4 Red is powered by a 540 motor and 3-speed transmission, its durable drivetrain spins both rear dually axles supported on a realistic leaf spring and shock suspension. The Mercedes Benz Arocs 3348 6x4 Red's metal C-Channel ladder frame keeps the power to the pavement when hauling optional accessories. Your Tamiya truck is backed by Motion RC's world-renowned customer service and technical support. Drive on!
    540-Sized Motor and 3-Speed Transmission

The 540-sized brushed motor applies power through a selectable 3-speed transmission to drive dual rear axles.
    Exceptional Scale Detail

Scale details surround this truck for exceptional realism.
    Dual Rear Axles

Each axle is supported with leaf spring and shocks.
    Optional Light and Sound

Add your own light and sound package with the separately-sold Multi-Function Control Unit MFC-01 or MFC-03.
    1/14 Scale

This truck comes in an impressive 1/14 scale. Coming in at nearly 2 feet in length, it has an ideal on-road presence while being convenient to transport.
    Add Your Own Electronics and Drive!

Once you add your preferred electronics you're ready for those on-road adventures.
    FEATURES:
    • Exceptional scale detail and realism brings this truck to life on every level
    • The Arocs 3348 form is recreated by an injection molded body, with separate side mirrors and visor, etc
    • Cab parts are molded in red PS (polystyrene) and pre-painted in Italian red (TS-8), while bed parts are molded in gray ABS and pre-painted in Gloss aluminum (TS-17). All parts have a urethane top coat
    • The 3-axle chassis has a tough ladder frame with aluminum side channels and resin cross members
    • Truck bed section is comprised of metal subframe and resin panel sections for durability
    • Compatible with Electric Actuator Set for realistic truck bed motion
    • TR mighty-tuned motor (35T) provides twin rear axles with ample power to carry loads in the bed
    • Rear tires, rear fenders and taillights have dedicated tipper truck model designs
    • 3-speed transmission can be controlled via a separately sold 4ch R/C transmitter
    • Metal leaf spring dampers with built-in coil springs provide durable suspension
    • Use with Multi-Function Control Unit MFC-03 or MFC-01 for realistic lights and sounds
    INCLUDES:
    • Tamiya Mercedes Benz Arocs 3348 6x4 Red 1/14 Scale Dump Truck - KIT
    REQUIRES:

Wholly smokes! This truck is way different then I expected. Just finished my king hauler project which was a blast and picked up this rig as I needed a good dump (tipper) truck to add to my construction equipment. Of course I wouldn’t be satisfied unless I went all out with lights sound and of course true remote tipper action. I picked up the MFC-03 for this rig (that’s right going euro) and the electric actuator kit from tamiya as well. I am a little over a week with 30+hr into this build and I’m still not finished. There is more gluing and detail painting then I expected. I had to order several paints that I did not have in my paint collection but it’s worth it. Surprisingly this kit has most of the ball bearings upgrade In the kit. Only a couple needed to be added and a couple locations that the instructions say to NOT upgrade to ball bearings but leave them stock bushings. The finish on this model is excellent. I’ll share a few build pics on the progress I’ve made so far.
    With all the upgrades the wiring is a lot to get tidied up still working on that.

The hitch is a mod for pulling my RC4WD bulldog trailer which fits my excavator and loader 1 at a time of course. I’ll post pics when I get there.

I also locked the rear axle to give me better traction in the loose dirt despite the expected turn radius loss. This is primarily for when it’s unloaded and lighter in the rear.

I really like the weight added with the actuator kit as this gives the much needed empty weight to the drive axles.

Started it up to teach the MFC-03 and this sounds way different from the MFC-01. Very happy with it so far.

This kit is much more expensive then the haulers BUT I think I see why. This is like getting a truck and trailer kit in one. The tipper bed has an Aluminum frame as well as a subframe that’s very similar to the truck frame. It’s fully implemented with the electric actuator installation and during assembly I’m actually running thru 3 manuals at the same time so I don’t have to redo any steps.
    Can’t wait to finish.

Comment

Nice job Baysim80! Looking really slick. Man, that looks like such a fun build and a really nice looking truck.....stop making me want one! ......eagerly watching your progress.

Cheers
      Kurt

Comment

Wow what a fun build this is. This is providing many more challenges especially with the wiring. I had to relocate the wire routing due to the tight clearance of the tipper mechanism. And with the lights and ACU-01 control and power wiring, there are a lot of wires running along the frame of this thing that have to make their way into a less then roomy cab. It definitely requires good wire management. But it’s coming along nicely. Couple of really cool features with this MFC-03 unit is the startup. When you turn the unit on you hear the preheat procedure and then with the right stick you have to pull down to get engine start (clutch) and if you don’t pull down long enough then it cranks but fails startup. It’s really cool. I was worried that I’d loose this feature and the horn, needing that channel for the tipper control but with the MFC-03 it’s switchable from the radio With a simple trim and stick movement on the left stick you can switch between these functions. It’s awesome! I like that this kit also came with the shift gate I found one for my other radio from a third party but to have it come with the truck was a nice surprise. The tires were also a nice touch. The rear sets are more aggressive all terrain type for better traction and the front tires are still the highway treads. Very nice!
        This truck is getting heavy! With the tipper kit and everything I think it’s nearing 10 pounds. I’ll get a final weight once completed. Front grill and lights and I think we’ll be there. Yay more wires!!

Comment

Baysim80, Great looking Merc. You're doing fabulous work, Sir, and Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Elbee thanks for the welcome and the compliment.
            this thing is a time consumer. I love it. A genuine modelers model. Even though this thing comes pre painted It requires a lot of detail painting as well as a lot of glueing, way more than the king hauler kit. This front grill has me vested for 3 plus hours I kid you not. Painting, punching holes, gluing, wiring!!! Lots of details. There are 4 LEDs per side. This thing is going to look so cool lit up.

Comment

Originally posted by Baysim80 View Post
              Couple of really cool features with this MFC-03 unit is the startup. When you turn the unit on you hear the preheat procedure and then with the right stick you have to pull down to get engine start (clutch) and if you don’t pull down long enough then it cranks but fails startup. It’s really cool.
              This is inordinately cool to me. Details like this to me are the icing on the cake. I am really enjoying your builds for these Tamiya vehicles!

Aros Please get us some truck emojis!
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                Aros Please get us some truck emojis!
                On it!

My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Getting close to completion. Final wire hook up and as you can see in the pics that’s a load of wiring! Wish there was room for interior detail too but man it’s tight with all that sound and lighting system in there. Another one of the cool features of the MFC unit from tamiya is the shaker motor. When you start up and rev or idle the shaker gives a realistic movement on these models that is simply enjoyable. I honestly don’t know if I could build one of these without the MFC unit going in because I would feel it was missing some of the coolest details that I enjoy most about running these models.
                  Here is what I don’t like about this Merc. The bottom load battery. You have to put this beast on its back To load the battery. However there is no other option as far as placement goes in the design of this kit. No room anywhere else to put it. What I do like is with the tipper mechanism this model will rest on the box with it slightly elevated and keep the cab off the ground as you can see in some previously posted pics of this build. Again this model is loaded with details and I’m very impressed with it. Hope it drives as good as it looks!

Comment

Final touches! This is a pretty nice stainless steel bed liner that fits very well. It will only look this nice for a little while cause I’m going to work this truck. I’m hoping it helps with the longevity of this bed. Scratches and so forth, you know what I mean. I’ll be getting her out tomorrow for a photo shoot in the outdoors! And most importantly a test drive!!! Woo hoo!!! I can’t wait. This truck is exceptionally cool.

Comment

...pretty nice stainless steel bed liner that fits very well. It will only look this nice for a little while cause I’m going to work this truck. This truck is exceptionally cool.
                      Baysim80, That is sumptin', a S/S bed-liner! After-market? Beautiful work. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Elbee yes that is after-market. CCHand sold by RC4WD. I picked mine up thru tower hobbies. The photo etching is a real nice touch on this SS too. It came with some really nice 3M double stick tape that is the same size as the parts (It’s not coming off) and the gate piece gets screwed on with the gate frame screws. I did use a little foam tac along the top to keep the gate piece sealed so dirt and the such wouldn’t get trapped in there. Real happy with the product though. Looks great.

Comment

Elbee yes that is after-market. CCHand sold by RC4WD. I picked mine up thru tower hobbies. The photo etching is a real nice touch on this SS too. It came with some really nice 3M double stick tape that is the same size as the parts (It’s not coming off) and the gate piece gets screwed on with the gate frame screws. I did use a little foam tac along the top to keep the gate piece sealed so dirt and the such wouldn’t get trapped in there. Real happy with the product though. Looks great.
                          I'm just sayin' that is quite the dealio. Color me impressed with your project, Sir. Best, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Just awesome!!!! Glad you are here and great job!!! Jerry

Comment

Oh yeah!! This truck hauls dirt! Weighing in at 5337grams (nearly 12 pounds) without the battery, it does not need a dummy load like the huina model. Now clearance is still an issue due to the low slung battery placement between the wheelbase. It will still high center fairly easy but it’s off road capability still is impressive for a scale rig. Glad I locked the rear diff it has worked so well! Way tighter turn radius then I get with the huina. I’ll compare the two on my Next post. This thing is fast too, most of the time I’m in throttle management in first gear on my dirt roads and then get it out on the pavement and kick it in 3rd gear,WOW! Smooth is how I would describe the overall performance. The suspension works great and absorbs bumps so I don’t spill any load material. I am not disappointed and this truck fits the bill for the dump truck I was looking for. Not an 8x8 but also not 2500 bucks. And it sounds amazing! Sitting there Idling while getting her loaded up and you hear the air bleed hiss, it’s like the real thing but in a fun size.

Comment

Not only does this truck haul dirt it hauls my equipment for loading dirt!

Comment

First scoop, first load, let’s put this thing to work!!!

Comment

It’s getting late and dark. No problem with all the lights on this rig.

Comment

Ok comparison time. I know it’s unfair but it has to be done. I have the top race TR212 and it’s an older model without a few of the features that the Huina available at MRC has like lipo compatible and exponential steering or cab interior detail. I think they are basically the same truck. With the tr212 I have to put a dummy load to get it to go on dirt without being too frustrating. When loaded it’s allot more capable. But very very very slow. Now I questioned the 1:14 scale of this truck especially after getting my king hauler built. There’s no way the tr212 is 1:14, it closer to 1:16. (As you can see in the pics). I did like the tr212 but it’s lack of capability was so frustrating sometimes but it’s still a good truck for the price, you can’t beat it for the price period. But this tamiya model is so way out of the league of the tr212. Even empty this Merc performs extremely well. Loaded it performs even better. I didn’t get stuck once in my normal operating theatre. Another cool feature with the MFC unit is the clutch, you can “disengage” by holding the right stick back and throttle up then release the right stick and it acts like popping the clutch. It is so cool. So to get a dump truck that will dump the load via remote and has lights and sound you can get the Huina sub $200. To get those features (to the nth degree) on this Tamiya model it will cost you somewhere around $1500. (Electric tipper actuator, MFC-03 for lights and sound, radio) So that’s why it’s really hard to compare these but IMO the Tamiya is totally worth it!!! The tamiya load is a little over 1-1/2 times that of the tr212. Both trucks are fun but Tamiya wins hands down. Oh ya there is the build time too. The Huina you will get, unbox, charge batteries and off you go. The tamiya you’ll get and open the box and be like “where’s the truck?” This is a couple pieces of aluminum, several bags of small screws and parts and a bunch of plastic parts on parts trees and then 50 hours or so later BAM you have a truck!!! But the build is part of the fun of this thing. Literally I logged my hours working on this truck and it totaled 58 hours. I’m not production oriented, again I really get into and enjoy the build so you might be able to get it together quicker. If you don’t do the MFC that could save an enormous amount of time but you would also really miss out on some of the coolest features. Well I’ll leave it there please enjoy the pics.

Comment

Baysim80 , Great write up and again, beautiful work on your Merc. Very well done. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X