Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making some progress on a few of the weapons systems. Modeled the rocket pod and the ammo can for the gun in Solidworks. Printed out the rocket pod on my Ender 3 and the ammo can as my first resin print. With how well the ammo can turned out, I’m not sure I’ll be doing much in PLA anymore. Working on 3D modeling the weapons pylon mount next, then moving to the gun. I also split open the engine cowling for easier installation on the mechanics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D5C1B164-9E7C-4A7F-A980-260E65561F37.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	307520Click image for larger version

Name:	89BF0509-4D2B-46B5-ABD0-225665BB38B4.jpeg
Views:	318
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	307522Click image for larger version

Name:	E52D623B-BD6E-476C-86D5-784A3576B215.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	307521Click image for larger version

Name:	977A5D63-791E-4D6F-AA16-3DC865DAE5EC.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	307519

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	309171Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	309169Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	309170Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	309172 More parts printed for the Kiowa on the new resin printer. Also decided to re print the front and back side of the rocket pod. Mechs are getting close to flight as well.

Comment

Impressive detail F106, as usual. Keep those pics coming.

Comment

Well, its been 2 years of this project sitting on the shelf and I'm finally starting to get back to it. For a while, I had shelved it simply because it didn't look right. Last week, I was able to print off some drawings and do a comparison. The major issues were that the boom was several inches too short, the boom was at the wrong angle, and the stock vertical fin was entirely the wrong shape. The horizontal stabs also needed to be re-sized.

First order of business was fixing the boom angle. The full scale OH-58 and 206 have the boom angled up a few degrees. I cut the boom off with a dremel cutoff wheel, sanded it, and re-attached it at the proper angle, fiberglass and filler were used the reinforce and blend the attach point.

Next, I designed a 3d printed boom extension plug in CAD. This added about 3.5" to the boom forward of the tail rotor gearbox. I still need to figure out a section for the aft "point" of the tailcone. This was glued into the boom and filled/blended.

New H-stabs were designed in CAD and 3D printed.

For the vertical stab, I decided to go the old school method. I cut the outline out of 3/16 balsa and sanded it to shape. After priming and sanded, I laminated the sides in thin sheet styrene. Photos to follow soon.

Comment

Here’s a few shots of the rework so far. The first picture is the baseline that PKM sent me as it was built, so all the changes are visible. Corrected the upper canopy shape, new engine cowling (PKM did this one), re-angled boom, lengthened boom by 3.5” and stretched the torque tube, new H stabs, and a new V-fin.

Comment

Just found this thread. Wow, Dart you have some clever and professionlal modeling skills. Any progreass on this heli?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhorse6 View Post
                Just found this thread. Wow, Dart you have some clever and professionlal modeling skills. Any progreass on this heli?
                Thanks, no real progress unfortunately. I got the mechanics ready for flight, and then the electronics fought me tooth and nail.. 1 cyclic servo was DOA, and it was an old DS510 that I didn't have an extra to replace. So, I needed to replace all 3 cyclic servos. Tail servo was DOA, straight out of the package from MKS, then the Castle 100 had a BEC short which fried my ikon2..

So after those headaches (and expense), I finally got everything functioning normally. On the first flight, the boom vibrated out just enough to disengage the torque tube. Luckily, I autorotated and landed with no damage. Re-installed and secured with extra vigor. Tuning ensued, and the tail had a noticable vibration present in any condition. Looked at the main and tail blade weights/CGs, but they were within +/- 0.01g of each other. Head was balanced. I noticed that the vibration was noticable even without the head installed. It seems that it might be from a bad mast bearing. Next on my list is to swap the bearing blocks with spares and try again. All vibration needs to be eliminated as much as possible with the Mast Mounted Sight up top.

Comment

What scale are you using to get within 0.01g? I have 2 scales but only to +/- 0.1g

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhorse6 View Post
                    What scale are you using to get within 0.01g? I have 2 scales but only to +/- 0.1g

Comment

Working...
                    X