You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roban 600 size Bell 212 (Civilian version)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roban 600 size Bell 212 (Civilian version)

I have been working on this one for a little while, it is finished except for the decals. It now has two full flights on it since these videos were taken, it flies great and very scale. I didn't do a full build on it because I just don't have the time to document everything but I will try my best to answer any of your questions regarding this kit.
    The kit is a Roban 600 size Bell 212 Civilian version, but it does come with decals to make it a heavy lift version but I think I want to just make it a civilian version with an N number. The kit went together nicely, no issues with anything, it does fit the Trex 600E or ESP, mine was a drop in fit as far as the mouting holes and all that, I had to change out my stock elevator arm to the new style that does not need the antirotaton bracket, which is nice because it's not sticking up out of the fuselage. The lower transmission gears were a perfect fit, also the frames and all the mounting hardware was a nice fit as well, all the screws and everything were there. The fit and finish is excellent, only thing I see is the doors do not come with windows and they do not fit up nice and tight, little gap in the top of the doors, I am not picky so it don't bother me, my front window had a tiny crack in one corner, came that way in the pkg, all the other windows were good, also don't forget to peel both sides of the plastic film off the windows before you install them, I knew this from other Roban kits I built but its and easy thing to miss and your windows will look cloudy, everything fit good. I will be adding things over the next few days as I remember what I did to it on my build. I will say that the KDE 1100kv motor fit nicely in between the frames but it is taller and will require some dremel work to clear the front top edge of the doghouse cover, the new Pheonixtech 1100 motor I bought for it is shorter and requires no cutting of the doghouse cover but requires dremel work on the frames to fit inside the frames, very little dremel work needed and worth it so the installation looks nice with the top cover not cut out for the motor. I did all my testing with the mechanics out of the fuselage with a modified wooden tray mounted to the stock Trex landing gear, worked out great and I highly recommend doing so.

https://youtu.be/PxdIZzpLA5o

https://youtu.be/ykxMCz1AZnQ
    Attached Files

So how do you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gmack908 View Post
      So how do you like it?
      It was great, I put a few flights on it and then wanted to go bigger so I sold it to get more funds for the big 800 size scale helis offered by Roban, now I have the 800 size Hughes 500D, Cayuse OH-6, 700 size Apache and Cobra, but I wish now I wouldn't have sold the Bell 212, it flew great and looked even better and would be fun to have now to just have fun with and using a single battery was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

It was great, I put a few flights on it and then wanted to go bigger so I sold it to get more funds for the big 800 size scale helis offered by Roban, now I have the 800 size Hughes 500D, Cayuse OH-6, 700 size Apache and Cobra, but I wish now I wouldn't have sold the Bell 212, it flew great and looked even better and would be fun to have now to just have fun with and using a single battery was nice.

that’s awesome man glad to hear you liked it! I ordered mine the other day. I have a trex 600 esp as a mechanics donor. This is my first scale heli fuse. Are you saying that I have to take my esp apart and install in robans frames in the kit? Thanks!

Comment

that’s awesome man glad to hear you liked it! I ordered mine the other day. I have a trex 600 esp as a mechanics donor. This is my first scale heli fuse. Are you saying that I have to take my esp apart and install in robans frames in the kit? Thanks!
          Yes, you will have to use the sideframes the Roban kit comes with and the transmission gears that also come with it, so plan on taking your ESP all apart for this project, the low profile Roban frames are what make it all fit nicely in the 212 fuselage, its not a drop in fit as you think, so once you build the new frames and all that, I would build a platform of some sort to fly the mechanics out of the fuselage and get everything adjusted that way, are you flybared or FBL??

Comment

Great info! You have me wondering now if the motor I ordered is too tall. It was a recommended motor for the heli. It is a Scorpion hkIV 4025-1100kv and is 2mm shorter than that KDE motor you said was hitting the doghouse. Think mine being 2mm short is enough? I hope lol. The 600 ESP mechanics I have are FBL.

Comment

Great info! You have me wondering now if the motor I ordered is too tall. It was a recommended motor for the heli. It is a Scorpion hkIV 4025-1100kv and is 2mm shorter than that KDE motor you said was hitting the doghouse. Think mine being 2mm short is enough? I hope lol. The 600 ESP mechanics I have are FBL.
              That Scorpion motor may be to tall as well, you can always send it back if it is and get the Phoenix tech, it's in stock for $89.

Comment

There is another guy who built the UH-1 version and he used the Scorpion, looking at his doghouse you can see where he cut some of the doghouse out maybe to just to keep it from rubbing the top of the Scorpion motor but the motor does not stick out, with the Phoenixtech motor you don't have to cut out any of the doghouse but you do have to trim the frames, it's a short fat motor and you can see it in my pictures. I think you will be fine with the Scorpion.

Comment

Look up this article by F106DeltaDart and you can see his UH-1 and the Scorpion.

600 UH-1N Twin Huey- ARF Bundle - Build and Impressions

Comment

Look up this article by F106DeltaDart and you can see his UH-1 and the Scorpion.

600 UH-1N Twin Huey- ARF Bundle - Build and Impressions
                    Thank you! Look forward to putting the heli together. Thanks for the help! I’ll let you know how it fits.

Comment

Thank you! Look forward to putting the heli together. Thanks for the help! I’ll let you know how it fits.
                      Your welcome and feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions, like I said, it was a pleasure to build and didn't take that long, flies great to and looks awesome in the air.

Comment

Your welcome and feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions, like I said, it was a pleasure to build and didn't take that long, flies great to and looks awesome in the air.
                        So I have a Phoenixtech 600 esp which is a trex 600 esp clone. The frame is wider than the trex 600 esp by a few MM. hopefully motion Rc or roban has accounted for this in the kit as they advertise the phoenixtech being a suitable donor on their website for the roban 212.

Comment

So I have a Phoenixtech 600 esp which is a trex 600 esp clone. The frame is wider than the trex 600 esp by a few MM. hopefully motion Rc or roban has accounted for this in the kit as they advertise the phoenixtech being a suitable donor on their website for the roban 212.
                          Well, the problem with using the Pheonixtech 600 is the fact you have to use spacers because of the wider frames and several of us or wondering why they advertise that spacers are included but there are only two, so maybe your kit, which is the 2nd or 3rd shipment MRC has brought in will have all the spacers needed, if not, your going to have to order some or call MRC and see if they will send them out, I didn't need them because I used an old original Trex 600E, no spacers needed along with the ESP version.

Comment

Well, the problem with using the Pheonixtech 600 is the fact you have to use spacers because of the wider frames and several of us or wondering why they advertise that spacers are included but there are only two, so maybe your kit, which is the 2nd or 3rd shipment MRC has brought in will have all the spacers needed, if not, your going to have to order some or call MRC and see if they will send them out, I didn't need them because I used an old original Trex 600E, no spacers needed along with the ESP version.
                            when I receive the roban 600 size 212 civilian this week from MRC I am certainly going to check all the parts and make it known if this is an issue. Also, I find it misleading that they want to sell you the whole clone 600 esp when the only I know realize I need is the rotor head assembly pretty much. Everything else is included in roban kit correct?

Comment

when I receive the roban 600 size 212 civilian this week from MRC I am certainly going to check all the parts and make it known if this is an issue. Also, I find it misleading that they want to sell you the whole clone 600 esp when the only I know realize I need is the rotor head assembly pretty much. Everything else is included in roban kit correct?
                              Not exactly.. you still need to use these parts from the Align or clone donor kit:

Bearing blocks
                              main shaft
                              motor mount
                              swashplate
                              cyclic bellcranks
                              Bearings
                              tail boom mounting blocks
                              frame spacers
                              tail servo mount
                              torque tube
                              tail boom
                              tail rotor gearbox and rotor assemblies
                              tail pushrod & guides
                              main blades
                              tail blades
                              main gear
                              pinion
                              Gear hub/one way bearing
                              boom supports

I think I got everything.. may have missed some stuff. But that’s why they recommend buying the Trex 600 clone.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                Not exactly.. you still need to use these parts from the Align or clone donor kit:

Bearing blocks
                                main shaft
                                motor mount
                                swashplate
                                cyclic bellcranks
                                Bearings
                                tail boom mounting blocks
                                frame spacers
                                tail servo mount
                                torque tube
                                tail boom
                                tail rotor gearbox and rotor assemblies
                                tail pushrod & guides
                                main blades
                                tail blades
                                main gear
                                pinion
                                Gear hub/one way bearing
                                boom supports

I think I got everything.. may have missed some stuff. But that’s why they recommend buying the Trex 600 clone.
                                Ok! So Definetly now I see why they recommend it as a donor. Still worth it. Especially considering the kit comes with blades. I had looked on Facebook marketplace for a used trex 600e or esp and could not find one.

Comment

I’m pretty certain MRC has some of the spacers in stock now if none are included in your B212 kit. Ask for Ed at MRC if you do need to call as he is aware of the spacer issue and handled my ticket a few weeks ago. If MRC happens to be out of stock then PM me….I do have a few spacers on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
                                    I’m pretty certain MRC has some of the spacers in stock now if none are included in your B212 kit. Ask for Ed at MRC if you do need to call as he is aware of the spacer issue and handled my ticket a few weeks ago. If MRC happens to be out of stock then PM me….I do have a few spacers on hand.

Thank you very much for your time and help! When my kit comes in this week I will jump right on it and check out the spacer issue. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by PawPaw View Post

Quick question! The roban 212 fuse kit does come with landing skid right?

Comment

Quick question! The roban 212 fuse kit does come with landing skid right?
                                        Yes it does, very nice set too, just take your time when installing because the holes in the fuselage are not there, only the gear has holes, so you will have to do some measuriing to get it right.

Comment

Working...
                                        X