You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roban 800 size Hughes 500D Magnum PI version.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roban 800 size Hughes 500D Magnum PI version.

I 'm really not into build videos, I don't mind posting pics so I thought I would try and post some pics on my build of my 800 size Roban Hughes 500D. I will only be posting pics on this one, nothing fancy, just let you guys see it up close and some things I did to it along the way. When I opened the box, I was very impressed with the pkg job they did, nothing broken or damaged, all parts look to be there after a quick inventory, surprised to see the windows installed, except for the door windows, don't see much loctite on some screws, some have some and some don't.

Comment

DCORSAIR I am watching your build thread with interest! Being from Hawaii, Magnum PI was and continues to be a "thing" here in the GA world; there always seems to be at least one MD500 painted up like this at one of the aerial tour companies overflying Pearl Harbor.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Mechanics trial fitted, need to turn the aluminum mounts around, just kind of stuck them in there to see how it all lined up.
        Attached Files

Comment

Got my purty servos installed, KST x20-2208 V2.0 cyclic, x20-1035 V2.0 on the tail.

These servos look awesome, almost hate to cover them up.
          Attached Files

Comment

DC... you like those little birds huh! :) That one came with helical gears it looks like?

Comment

Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
              DC... you like those little birds huh! :) That one came with helical gears it looks like?
              I really like flying the Hughes 500, they are my favorite heli.

Yes, it came with the helical cut gears already installed and ready to go.

Got her out and on her legs today, test hover didn't go to bad, lifted off, little shake going on, traced it down to the head, without the head on, it is smooth, as soon as I put it back on then you feel the vibes come back, so working on it now, can't see anything wrong, little disappointed, but it got off the ground, blade tracking wasn't off by to far, can't fly it yet anyway, waiting on my buffer battery to get here and a couple of other things.
              Attached Files

Comment

Didn't find anything wrong with the head or main shaft, reinstalled everything and adjusted one blade grip which turned out to be the vibration issue, having a 5 blade head, it is critical to get the blade tracking spot on, now she is very smooth, just the normal shakes on spool up, it flies good so far, looks awesome in the air, now time to finish up the lights, cockpit and all that, Callie is doing my N - numbers, here is some pics of how I installed ESC and Rx.
                Attached Files

Comment

So was one blade way out of track?

Comment

Yes sir it was, one simple 1/2 turn on the ball link and all 5 blades perfectly tracked, but I did get all my blade grips adjusted before hand, so I knew I was close, then I just mount the blades and track those by turning the head by hand, then I put my pitch at 0 and adjust each blade until I get each one within .01-.02 of each other and perfecto, very simple.

Comment

I wanted to make my cockpit removable, so I did a very simple method, Dubro control horns make great mounting tabs, I used to mount all my airplane cowlings this way as well, so I thought I would try it on this project, works great, the center colum will be held on with magnets, so pop out the center colum, take out the 4 screws, unplug the wires and it's out, I like to keep things simple and easy, I like to fly more than build anyway.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Short video of how I installed the center colum with magnets.
                        ​​​​​​
                        ​​​​​https://youtu.be/5eaQTInJo2c

Comment

Here is the cockpit installed and removable.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Callie comes through with my N numbers and Danger decals on the rear, she is awesome.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looking good Dcorsair!

Comment

Thank you, still got the lights and antennas to put on, not sure about the antennas, I'm good at knocking that stuff off so I might put them on for display only.

Got one flight in before dark last night, almost got her flying perfect, a few more adjustments and she will be there, there is no end to maintenance on these scale helis.

​​​​​​
                                Attached Files

Comment

DCORSAIR Looking sharp! What light set are you thinking of using?

Did you tint the plastic, or is it just the lighting in your outdoor photos?
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                    DCORSAIR Looking sharp! What light set are you thinking of using?

Did you tint the plastic, or is it just the lighting in your outdoor photos?
                                    Thank you Alpha for the comments, I'm just going to use the lights that come with the kit, nothing fancy but they seem to work good, no I didn't tint anything, the windows are actually not installed yet, what your seeing is the lighting and the flat black cockpit,plus my pilot has a black flight suit so it is dark looking ,might not even put the windows in, don't know yet.

Alpha, one thing that really needs to be addressed on these D models, the front landing light is in the wrong place, needs to be down lower on the front cabin.

Comment

Did you find the 5 blade set to be pretty close on weight or did have to make some adjustments..

Comment

Originally posted by Titason View Post
                                        Did you find the 5 blade set to be pretty close on weight or did have to make some adjustments..
                                        Mine were very close in weight and balance, I actually have no tape or anything on mine, got a lucky set I guess, I'm sure I could add some tape and make them even better, but as of now its really smooth, only the little shakes as it spools up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X