You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roban 800 size Hughes 500D Magnum PI version.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info.. I'm purchasing a blade balancer to check mine.. One other question with a clockwise blade rotation of the helicopter usually the gyro for the tail will compensate with clockwise blade rotation if the mechanics of the heli is turned in a counterclockwise direction.. Now with a counterclockwise blade helicopter set up will you need to reverse gyro settings to compensate doing this same maneuver as described or can it be left as is .. even wonder if this also would effect cyclic gyro direction settings as well..

Comment

Originally posted by Titason View Post
      Thanks for the info.. I'm purchasing a blade balancer to check mine.. One other question with a clockwise blade rotation of the helicopter usually the gyro for the tail will compensate with clockwise blade rotation if the mechanics of the heli is turned in a counterclockwise direction.. Now with a counterclockwise blade helicopter set up will you need to reverse gyro settings to compensate doing this same maneuver as described or can it be left as is .. even wonder if this also would effect cyclic gyro direction settings as well..
      Well, I installed a Microbeast Plus in mine and it flew okay, but my buddy loaned me his Bluetooth adapter and that gives you a whole new menu of settings and one of those settings was a choice between CW or CCW, I was flying with mine set on CW, so I changed the Microbeast to CCW, it flies even better, so I think it makes a difference, I didn't change any other settings, on yours I really can't say if your using a different Fbl controller, make sure you do check the directions of the swash plate and tail before flight.

Comment

Very interesting, I have futaba cgy760 it doesn't have anything different in gyro orientation for either cw or ccw but I'll double check..if yours flies better..maybe something there..

Comment

Very interesting, I have futaba cgy760 it doesn't have anything different in gyro orientation for either cw or ccw but I'll double check..if yours flies better..maybe something there..
          What I mean by better, when I banked right and gave right rudder, the tail would swing around nicely, but in my left bank turn the tail would begin to swing around nicely, but then all of a sudden swing around more than I wanted, I thought it was just something in the torque of the main rotor, but when I switched the gyro to CCW, my turns are the same right or left now and that was all I changed in the Microbeast, it just had a funny feel to it before I changed it to CCW, I tried setting up a Futaba 750 gyro once, I had trouble with the programming and understanding it, so I went with the Microbeast, so much easier to understand for me anyway, oh and my buddy changed his Microbeast in his Roban 700 Apache to CCW and he liked it and said it felt better as well, he actually is the one who told me to try it.

Comment

I'm setting up my esc .. it's a hobbywing platinum 200 .. I did my rpm calibration and data shows 135 x1000 .. at 50% throttle .I m trying to figure out what the gear ratio is of the mechanics, main gear was 78t another gear was 36t and a pulley gear was 22t .. so I can figure out headspeed calculations. I have a 455kv motor at 10 poles.. thanks

Comment

I'm setting up my esc .. it's a hobbywing platinum 200 .. I did my rpm calibration and data shows 135 x1000 .. at 50% throttle .I m trying to figure out what the gear ratio is of the mechanics, main gear was 78t another gear was 36t and a pulley gear was 22t .. so I can figure out headspeed calculations. I have a 455kv motor at 10 poles.. thanks
              Well, I don't know what ratio it is, I have read it somewhere but just can't remember what it was, sorry about that, I don't even know what headspeed I'm running, I just go by how it feels and the sound, must have got it right, no problems yet on my big Hughes 500 Magnum PI.

Comment

Okay thanks..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mmmm.PNG
Views:	607
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	266676

Comment

I think all of the Roban 700/800 mechanics use the same ratio= 1:13.8. I know when I setup my Castle 120HV, I put 13.8 in the ratio box (I didn't use the gear/pinion count at all) and it's been working perfectly.

Comment

Much appreciated, thanks for the info ..

Comment

On my 700 I originally did the math and got 13.8:1
                        pulley to pulley gears are 22 and 78 which has a ratio of 3.54:1
                        then piñon gear to piñon is 20 to 78 which is 3.9:1
                        times the two together and you get 13.8:1
                        to double check I also did old fashion way. Counted how many rotations the motor made for one rotation of the head. I got 13:1. If it wasn’t exactly 13:1 it was 12:.9 or 13.1 to 1, definitely not 13.8.

gravy

Comment

We're you getting headspeeds around 1200sh

Comment

I’m using a 510kv motor so I’m around 1300. I m using simple governor mode on my esc and my divination (thought I typed in “output”) is around 70%. So I’m right in the sweet spot.

gravy

My iPhone did an auto wreck on me and I didn’t even notice it.

Divination:
                            the practice of attempting to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge by occult or supernatural means.

I guess that kind of fits how working on rc helicopters is. Lots of guessing and preying to some god or the other it all works out in the end.

Good call iPhone Auto correct.

Comment

With my setup 455kv. 14s and with my calculations I would be at around 1200 to 1290 in about the 60 to 65% range..

Comment

Update on the Magnum PI, it's been flying great, I actually stopped flying it for a bit when I got the OH-6 kit and built it, now I got everything working, like the lights, front landing light is now installed, my buddy Gravy, 3D printed me the front light cover, he did one for my OH-6 as well, it was bothering me that Roban has the hole for the light in the wrong location, so I dremeled a new hole lower down with the pitot tube in the right spot below the light, it looks great. Here is an updated video of it flying as of today 1/2/21.
                                ​​​​​​

Attached Files

Comment

That looks great, DC! I will do something similar on my 600 MD-500E when my light kit arrives. I have time for details since my 5 blade matching project isn’t working out as I had hoped. You sure make flying that thing look easy...

Comment

Gravy, can you share that light cover file with me?

Comment

No you guys can't have the file, it was made top secret just for me, just kidding of course, but I have to say, he did an awesome job on it, they are supposed to be painted the same as the fuselage as most of the real ones are but I wanted mine to stand out so I just used a silver sharpie on the ring then hit the holes with a black sharpie, I'm really happy with the way they look, I'm sure when he reads this he will share the file or whatever he did to get it right, I like the idea that when he gave them to me they were still flexible and molded right to the fuselage when I glued them on.

Comment

Yeah I’ll try to remember to post it tomorrow when I fire up my computer.

Gravy

Comment

Here is the one he did for my OH-6, same as the Magnum PI.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X