P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roban 800 size Hughes 500D Magnum PI version.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Below is actually the first flight I did before the one posted above, I edited it to a hover only video to show how stable these big 800 size scale helis are.

Comment

Here is another short video of a close up hover, just noticed Motion RC sold the last one, turned out that other people like the Magnum PI version as well.

Comment

Gotta admit I’ve developed quite a liking for these MD500/OH-6’s. Was not my favorite profile at first but I sure like the straight tail simplicity and interior volume of the cabin. Nice not to need a nuclear reactor’s volume of lead to balance, also.

Comment

Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
          Gotta admit I’ve developed quite a liking for these MD500/OH-6’s. Was not my favorite profile at first but I sure like the straight tail simplicity and interior volume of the cabin. Nice not to need a nuclear reactor’s volume of lead to balance, also.
          Yep, when I got into these along time ago my first scale body was a Funkey Hughes 500D and I have built many after that one, I have always been drawn to the Hughes 500 for some reason, my dream years ago was to own a big Hughes 500, so a big thanks to Roban, they have made that dream possible and affordable, I'm telling you, get one, because once you fly one, its hard to go back to anything else, I was going to get a Cobra or Apache, but after flying my two big birds I just don't think I will, now that I have two D models, maybe its time to get an E model this time.....

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Yep, when I got into these along time ago my first scale body was a Funkey Hughes 500D and I have built many after that one, I have always been drawn to the Hughes 500 for some reason, my dream years ago was to own a big Hughes 500, so a big thanks to Roban, they have made that dream possible and affordable, I'm telling you, get one, because once you fly one, its hard to go back to anything else, I was going to get a Cobra or Apache, but after flying my two big birds I just don't think I will, now that I have two D models, maybe its time to get an E model this time.....
            The Killer Egg has always been a favorite of mine as well. It's my favorite of the 'smaller' helicopters... The no elevated gearbox and roomy egg interior to work in makes it easy to build. So much to do with it as far as liveries and accessories as well.
            The cobra is probably my most favorite... I wish Roban would revisit it... and make a true 800 size one (cobra). I may be way off b/c I'm not a Roban historian, but it seems like the cobra was one of their first birds they went after to make a kit for (I'm sure a huey was in there too)... Seems like I have seen guys in photos going as far back as 2012 with what looks like the same kit, definitely at least the same decals. I haven't broke out the math to do a scale comparison, but the fact the most of the replacement parts are actually 600 parts leads me to believe it's not even a full 700 size.

And speaking of 600 parts, just a FYSA for you guys, if you need a cobra complete tail gearbox assembly, the Roban 600 size UH1N is an exact match.... (you guys might have known that already, but I didn't). I spent more money chasing down the two inside gears, when I could have just ordered the whole damn gear box... and the gearbox is what I actually wanted to do in the first place!
            I should probably post that on my cobra page

Comment

Originally posted by sfcfury View Post

The Killer Egg has always been a favorite of mine as well. It's my favorite of the 'smaller' helicopters... The no elevated gearbox and roomy egg interior to work in makes it easy to build. So much to do with it as far as liveries and accessories as well.
              The cobra is probably my most favorite... I wish Roban would revisit it... and make a true 800 size one (cobra). I may be way off b/c I'm not a Roban historian, but it seems like the cobra was one of their first birds they went after to make a kit for (I'm sure a huey was in there too)... Seems like I have seen guys in photos going as far back as 2012 with what looks like the same kit, definitely at least the same decals. I haven't broke out the math to do a scale comparison, but the fact the most of the replacement parts are actually 600 parts leads me to believe it's not even a full 700 size.

And speaking of 600 parts, just a FYSA for you guys, if you need a cobra complete tail gearbox assembly, the Roban 600 size UH1N is an exact match.... (you guys might have known that already, but I didn't). I spent more money chasing down the two inside gears, when I could have just ordered the whole damn gear box... and the gearbox is what I actually wanted to do in the first place!
              I should probably post that on my cobra page
              Well thanks for the info, I don't care you posted here, don't worry about that, any info updates and parts fit is all good info we Roban supporters need to know, I'm watching my gears closely, I keep them well lubed with some good sticky honey grease, but even with that I can still see wear on them, not sure how many flights I can get before I need to change them, will find out with the way I have been flying them.
              The Hughes 500 wins again with maintenance, lubing the gears are no problem and changing them are easy as well, you do have to pull the mechanics out though which takes about 10 minutes.

Comment

Hey Gravy... don't forget about that super top secret light cover file! Oh... did those 800 size birds come with that pitot tube? Or is that something you made as well?

Comment

Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
                  Nice not to need a nuclear reactor’s volume of lead to balance, also.

Comment

Hey Gravy... don't forget about that super top secret light cover file! Oh... did those 800 size birds come with that pitot tube? Or is that something you made as well?
                    Here is the STL.

Gravy
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gravy made the light cover for me but the pitot tubes come with the kit along with all the antennas and steps. Also I seen someone mention CG on my 500, no lead or anything is needed, the 500 balances perfect with cockpit installed and all that, I even installed an extra 4.8v 2000 NiMH battery and light controller seperate under the cockpit seats for the landing light and cockpit instrument lights with no issues as for CG adjustments.

Comment

Thank you Gravy!

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                          Here is the STL.

Gravy
                          Oh no, Gravy, you just gave them the top secret files for my light cover, looks awesome buddy, can you make me some flexible pitot tubes and steps so I can stop bumping them and bending them all out of wack..

Comment

Possibly, they may cost you triple what the covers cost though.
                            mill wait until you hear back from the bank on that loan. Lol

gravy

Comment

Working...
                            X