X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still making progress on the 407.....
    1. Decided to copy lt1pwr’s suggestion, sort of. The “as designed” location of main batteries in the doghouse works but had to get creative with wire routing. I am using a 2S 3000 LiFe receiver battery which fit perfectly on the floor behind the pilot’s seat & is virtually invisible. Thanks, lt1pwr!
    2. Didn’t like the painted cabin wood & exposed joints so used 3M 3” white vinyl satin finish tape to cover everything.
    3. Ordered a few scale bits from Fine Scale Modela & awaiting shipment.
    4. Still tinkering with lights. Decided to use a second controller for the 2 landing spots & instrument cluster on one receiver switch & the nav light controller on the second receiver switch.
    5. Didn’t like the long “unscale” tail blades, and noticed the promo pics of the Roban B407s show shorter ones. Specs say they are 110mm, but mine measure 158mm. I emailed Roban, & they answered in less than 24 hrs. The longer blades are correct as Roban found greater thrust was needed. They don’t rotate the scale direction anyway so will live with it.
    6. Added main battery voltage telemetry to my Tx. Can now read Rec & LiPos. Thinking about taking the temp sensor off my Waco’s Saito R19 & putting it on the motor base or ESC. Totally unnecessary, really, but plan to sell the Waco so sensor is available.

Comment

Those changes sound great Let's see some pics!

Comment

Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
        Still making progress on the 407.....
        1. Decided to copy lt1pwr’s suggestion, sort of. The “as designed” location of main batteries in the doghouse works but had to get creative with wire routing. I am using a 2S 3000 LiFe receiver battery which fit perfectly on the floor behind the pilot’s seat & is virtually invisible. Thanks, lt1pwr!
        2. Didn’t like the painted cabin wood & exposed joints so used 3M 3” white vinyl satin finish tape to cover everything.
        3. Ordered a few scale bits from Fine Scale Modela & awaiting shipment.
        4. Still tinkering with lights. Decided to use a second controller for the 2 landing spots & instrument cluster on one receiver switch & the nav light controller on the second receiver switch.
        5. Didn’t like the long “unscale” tail blades, and noticed the promo pics of the Roban B407s show shorter ones. Specs say they are 110mm, but mine measure 158mm. I emailed Roban, & they answered in less than 24 hrs. The longer blades are correct as Roban found greater thrust was needed. They don’t rotate the scale direction anyway so will live with it.
        6. Added main battery voltage telemetry to my Tx. Can now read Rec & LiPos. Thinking about taking the temp sensor off my Waco’s Saito R19 & putting it on the motor base or ESC. Totally unnecessary, really, but plan to sell the Waco so sensor is available.
        Sounds great, get us some pics when you can.?
        ​​​​​
        My Roban 800 size Hughes 500 came with those long blades, I thought they looked way out of scale, so I cut mine down to 140mm, they look so much better and it flies fine, don't see any flight difference, just thought I would mention it, test them first before you fly it, make sure you balance them again.

Comment

I’m waiting on Motion to restock the tail blades so I can cut a set down & have spares. May just do it now since you got good results on yours.

Still a ways to go, but here’s the idea:

Comment

That's looking really good! Reminds me of the medical interior I built for my Roban AS350. Click image for larger version

Name:	A-Star Interior.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	261563

Comment

As far as the tail blades, my kit is over 2 years old and the tail blades it came with were too short and I almost lost the heli due to lack of tail authority. I put some longer tail blades on which I believe are either 110mm or 105mm and it flies perfectly now. I can verify the tail blade length when I get off from work tonight. I also may have a spare set of the same tail blades I'm using if you don't want to wait on MRC.

Comment

Wow, lt1pwr...that’s awesome! I emailed Tyler about 3Ding a LifePak 15 cardiac monitor for me & still waiting on my EMS bag & O2 cylinders from Scale Modela to arrive. Lots of work to do.
                Sure! Lemme know cost & shipping on the blades & I’m in. Thanks!

Comment

Sorry for the late response. I was wrong, my tail blades are 120mm length and they fly great. I’m gonna find those extra tail blades this weekend, I have them in a box somewhere in my basement. I just need to double check they’re 120mm since I tried many sizes until I found these. I’ll get back to you on that.

Comment

Certainly no hurry...got a ways to go before it’s in shape anyway. Thanks!

Comment

I found my box of tail blades and unfortunately the extra set I have are 110mm versus 120mm. Sorry about that.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for looking, lt1pwr. Sounds like the 120’s ended up being the sweet spot so I’ll start looking. What headspeed are you running, btw?

Comment

It's been about 2 years since I had my laptop hooked up to the ESC but I 'm pretty sure I'm running 1350 rpm head speed. I'm using 690mm Align blades versus the Roban blades that came with it.

Comment

That’s interesting. I set 1300 for mine with the 500kv Scorpion but that might change after I get thru the testing phase. I’ve never flown a 4 blade system and certainly nothing this big so I’ll definitely experiment with shorter blades later. So far not having much luck finding 120mm blades (or longer to cut down) so gotta wait anyway.

Comment

I will be looking for you some 120mm blades, I found some that I thought would work for you but they were not here in the US.

Comment

Same here, DCORSAIR...found some overseas in the 115-116mm range but never did locate 120’s. Certainly do appreciate you looking.

Comment

Don't know if you want to pay Vario prices but they have a selection of different size tail blades.

Comment

I may end up with the Varios but will absolutely be last resort mostly due to overseas. Sure doesn’t appear Motion is having much luck with parts restocking but that’s not surprising considering current events.

Comment

I ordered a pair of 130mm blades from Peak Aircraft yesterday. Mechanically, AeroMed is ready to test (with stock blades) but lots of detailing to finish. I can now accurately report that these Roban B407s can be entirely assembled without the need to Dremel any fiberglass at all. Amazing..

Comment

Great work so far, love the interior! I picked up the 800 Aeromed Bell 222 a few months back and will be looking to do something similar.

Comment

Thanks, F106. Got the lights working right & just stuffed all the wiring mess in the back temporarily. Did a quick blades off spool up & lights went crazy. Pulled the mess outside, did another spool up & lights work fine. That’ll teach me to hurry.

Comment

Working...
                                          X