X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

PawPaw I really enjoy watching your progress, your final machine is shaping up to be very impressive. Nice to see your confirmation that the Roban fuselage didn't require any dremeling to fit your mechanics.

I'm curious, what was the cause of your initial lighting issue that you then solved? Interference, or loose wiring, or?
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks, Alpha! It’s inductance I believe. I had 2 LED controllers & 2 electronic receiver switches bundled adjacent to the ESC with intention to properly zip tie the wiring later. Once I separated everything away from the ESC the lights worked normally. Time to recheck insulation....
        Yes sir, Roban hit the mark with these B407s. I’m a big fan of the Dremel, don’t get me wrong, but nice to see that not even a single control arm or pushrod slot was required on this bird. Even the doghouse flanges cleared the main gear with room to spare.

Comment

Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
          That’s interesting. I set 1300 for mine
          I hooked up my laptop to mine this morning and I am running 1275 rpm’s. It doesn’t fly well with a lower head speed. 1300 rpm’s would be a good starting point to see how yours flies. If you are going to test fly your mechanics outside the fuselage, make sure to add enough weight to simulate the weight of the fuselage. That will help dial everything in prevent any further adjustments when the mechanics are installed in the fuselage.

Comment

Thanks, lt1pwr....just received the 130mm Vario tail blades so will definitely start at the 1300. I’m finishing some plumbing items that require the mechanics installed then will get the test bed set up. I’m curious...did you use both of the plastic spacing plates under the rear frame mounts to get the main shaft forward tilt Roban calls out? I have both installed & the tilt looks correct per Roban’s illustration but that sure is a lot of angle! I did a quick blades-off CG check by simply hand lifting at the rotor head & appears the slight tail low attitude is more from the main shaft angle than offset weight.

Comment

I installed 1 under the rear. For me, 2 at the rear added too much forward tilt to the mechanics and didn’t look right.

Comment

Yeah, I agree it does appear too much but the tail tube was a perfect fit all around so left mine with 2 shims. I’ll pull one out & recheck. Thanks!

Comment

Here’s how mine sits in the fuse with 1 plate being used.Click image for larger version

Name:	EF4B063A-2D15-433A-B438-20DBE0CB1AA0.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	263837

Comment

Man, it doesn’t get any better than that! Glad I didn’t glue my top spacer in..just figured something would change. I did see a video where the guy was having problems setting up his IKON’s auto level feature partly due to the calibration of the gyro’s static angle. Heli would drift backwards when he enabled the feature.

Comment

Here’s my formula for “Standoff Scale” : Age (in years) X 3 (feet) = Acceptable Scale Completion Level Distance. In my case, formula says max receiver range.

Comment

That tail looks good the way you have it. Nice job on the float bag air lines and fittings

Comment

Thanks, lt1pwr. Still got some line painting & securing to do but getting close. Gonna see where that tail ends up after I remove that second spacer.

Comment

Well, took 1 of the spacers out & the mast angle looks a little better. It suits me, anyway. However, I did notice the tail gearbox has about 3/16-1/4” vertical play in the opening. Linkages clear all edges either way. I can see the foam torque tube spacer has the 3/16-1/4” gap at the top edge so one more thing to fix.

Comment

Well, took 1 of the spacers out & the mast angle looks a little better. It suits me, anyway. However, I did notice the tail gearbox has about 3/16-1/4” vertical play in the opening. Linkages clear all edges either way. I can see the foam torque tube spacer has the 3/16-1/4” gap at the top edge so one more thing to fix.
                              I always stuff foam up in the tails anyway, just make sure you don't jam the linkages, works great to help with sloppy fitting booms in the fuselage, it really helps to keep the vibes down.

By the way, what happen to the Cobra?

Comment

You may be able to reposition the foam spacer further down the tail boom where the fiberglass is narrower or like DCorsair said, just put more foam around it while making sure it doesn't interfere with the linkage.

Comment

I still need to mount mechanics to test stand so knew everything was gonna come apart later, and now my list of fixits is a little longer.

Cobra is standing by, on top of a china cabinet, awaiting my skill level to catch up. I guess I did ok with short low hover hops, but I need more 450 Huey time for confidence and just been neglecting to do so in favor of detailing the 407 in the a/c.

Comment

I still need to mount mechanics to test stand so knew everything was gonna come apart later, and now my list of fixits is a little longer.

Cobra is standing by, on top of a china cabinet, awaiting my skill level to catch up. I guess I did ok with short low hover hops, but I need more 450 Huey time for confidence and just been neglecting to do so in favor of detailing the 407 in the a/c.
                                    Gotcha, looks like your having fun anyway, I'm waiting on my new AH-6 Cayouse to get here, I know I said I wasn't doing another 800 size, but I just couldn't help it, I was really thinking about building the Cobra, MRC has only 3 kits left in stock, just couldn't decide between the gray (out of stock) or the camo version.

Comment

Great news, DC...I’m a disciplined believer in “I can’t help it”. After all... Rules are for people who lack imagination.

That’s what I did, lt1pwr...had the foam spacer pushed too far forward & not glued in. Lotsa thanks for the frame spacer heads up as it now looks much better with the one in place & tail clearance didn’t suffer. BTW, check out this LifePak 15 cardiac monitor Tyler Gray did for me in 1/8 scale. I told him “Don’t worry about the face details too much”, but he didn’t listen.

Comment

WOW that looks great! He does excellent work. I just had him print me a Starbucks coffee cup for my front seat passenger in my Jet Ranger.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	39234E45-25B6-45B1-AA02-2DF34498E571.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	264115

Comment

Working...
                                          X