You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Flybarless controller for my 700 Apache?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aces View Post
    Ok I see in the esc program the options for “simple governor” and “set rpm”? Can you explain the difference? Gravy you said you use “simple” so that you don’t have to go back into the esc to change head speed. So If I use “set rpm” that’s what you have to do? Is that the only difference. Once I find the headspeed I want I’m sure I won’t be changing it but until then I guess it would be good to not have to plug it all into my computer to change the head speed.
    simple head speed uses the receiver output. Once it’s locked in say 70% or what ever ppm value it will govern at that speed, until it’s changed again. So example let’s say 1500ppm = 1300 rpm. As long as 1500ppm stays as the out put the ESC will maintain 1300rpms as load increases or decrease.

Gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post

simple head speed uses the receiver output. Once it’s locked in say 70% or what ever ppm value it will govern at that speed, until it’s changed again. So example let’s say 1500ppm = 1300 rpm. As long as 1500ppm stays as the out put the ESC will maintain 1300rpms as load increases or decrease.

Gravy
      So do you have to lock it in everytime you start? I see that you hold the throttle at whatever headspeed for 1.5 secs...

Comment

My throttle output is off a 3 position switch. Pos1= 0% throttle. The calibrated 0 which on my Apache is -65.
        I the rang is -100 to +100.
        pos2= idle up. Who’s is not quite half throttle. It’s a position that it won’t fly and nearly buoyant (with full collective applied) that way if for some reason I bump my stick full up it won’t fly.
        pos3= flight RPM.
        I use FrSky so I don’t use a curve just fixed speeds with flight modes. I have a 11 sec slow up from pos1 to pos2.I then have a 8 sec slow up from pos2 to pos3.

yes I thinks it’s 1.5 sec that locks it in.

Gravy

Comment

I have an align 800 motor 520kv. I’m using the BD Axon. I went ahead and tried programming the “set rpm” in the esc and so I plugged in all the numbers but the headspeeds it said I needed to not be “too fast to govern” or “to slow to govern” was 600,700 and 750. That’s way low. I must have something wrong. Pole count is 10 for my Moter. Kv is 520. I’m using two 6s batteries so the voltage is 22.2 I think. Gear ratio is 13 to 1. Not sure if I’m missing something.

Comment

Aces, you should be running your batteries in series... and that would equal 44.4 volts. Here's a couple pics of the setup using castlelink if you want to do set rpm.
            In that configuration 1100rpm puts you at 73.1%, 1200 79.7%, and 1300 86.3%. The castle creations ESC's like to be within 70-95% when using governor mode...
            Of course you will be running a 4 blade setup so you wouldn't go over 1200 I would think, staying somewhere between 1000 to 1150ish I think... Of course there's several apache guys on here who could tell you better than me lol... But this should at least help you get setup going if you choose to use the CC in set rpm mode.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	main page setup.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	301890Click image for larger version

Name:	gearing setup.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	301891

Comment

Ah!! See I am electronically slow 😁🥺. I can never remember the difference in parallel and series. I will put that in the program and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

Just do like I do and keep it simple, run a simple 5 point pitch curve with a 5 point throttle curve, who needs a govenor anyway, I'm still old school flying, set up 0-70-70-70-70 on your throttle curve and whatever you like for your pitch curve and go fly, don't even have to flip a switch, well just the throttle hold switch, that govenor is cheatiing anyway, the only govenor I use is my ears and eyes...................... just poking fun at you guys is all, don't take it personal......

Comment

Gravy, I will check my ratio this weekend and see what I come up with, talk with you when you get back from that fishing trip....

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                    Just do like I do and keep it simple, run a simple 5 point pitch curve with a 5 point throttle curve, who needs a govenor anyway, I'm still old school flying, set up 0-70-70-70-70 on your throttle curve and whatever you like for your pitch curve and go fly, don't even have to flip a switch, well just the throttle hold switch, that govenor is cheatiing anyway, the only govenor I use is my ears and eyes...................... just poking fun at you guys is all, don't take it personal......
                    You can also still carve correspondence into stone too, but why would you do that if you can send an email. 😜
                    one of these days you’ll get a new radio and join the 20th century. Of course we’ll still have to get you into the 21st sometime after that 😂

cool I would love to know what you come out with on the manual head spin count.

also going to try to pint up my stuff by the end of this week, so I still may be bringing you bird to you

Gravy

P.S. Got skunked out, but it was fun.

Comment

Yea for the longest I just had the ESC set on fixed end points or linear curve (depending on the esc) and just 1 linear curve, and two flat curves, usually at 75% and 85% in the transmitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X