Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Roban Uh-1D 800 build

Hello HobbySquawkers,
    I am helping a local flyer, JB, get his UH-1D 800 Roban kit in the air. The kit has been assembled, components have been install and configured (outside of the fuselage).
    My job is to fit everything into the airframe, wire up the power system, configure the flight controller, and get this ready for a test hover.

I'm looking for suggestion on where to mount the Castle 160HV ESC and Castle BEC. Can anyone share a pic, or suggest a good spot for the ESC (and BEC)?
    My thought was to mount this onto the plywood frame just below the main (internal) assembly. I assume it will be ok to extend the ESC/Motor wires (about 6") for this application.

JB's Build
    Roban B205 / UH-1D 800 size
    Scorpion 4035-500KV (w/stock pinion)
    Castle 160HV ESC
    12S: (2) Admiral 6S 5000
    MKS DS1220 cyclic servo
    MKS HBL 980 tail servo
    Spektrum FC6250HX FBL
    Spektrum iX12

The build is special for JB. He was an Army crew chief and spent a lot of time with these machines in the late 60's and early 70's. Perhaps another veteran or history buff will recognize the emblem on the nose of JBs UH-1D. JB tells me the group was call the 'SnakeDoctors'.

All my RC Heli experience is from electric, collective pitch, model ranging in size from 200 to 700. This is my first time working with a scale model. Thank you in advance for your help.

got2tinkr

I can't help with the placement of the components but most guys mount he mechanics to a board with skids and test fly it prior to placing the mechanics in the fuselage. The reason being is if you have to make any adjustments you don't have to remove the mechanics to make the adjustments. This way, you are able to get the mechanics fine tuned and everything working correctly and then when you do install the mechanics into the fuselage the first flight/hover is normally uneventful with no nasty surprises.

Comment

Thanks Herman,
      I found a couple videos of builders testing with a plywood frame. Seems like a good idea for the reason your mentioned and I certainly don't want to crunch this airframe during a test hover.

Last week, I discovered the 8GA battery leads on the Castle 160HV are too big for my 6mm connectors. My plan for the next couple days is to remove the mechanics from the fuselage and connect the batteries to the ESC (and BEC) using 7mm (solderless) connectors. Getting the model to powered up and bound to my radio will be great milestone. I'll try to share pics as I go.

got2tinkr

Comment

Working...
      X