X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Fly Wing 450L V2 450 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

450L V2 450 Size GPS Stabilized Helicopter - RTF from Fly Wing - RSH1005-001

The Fly Wing 450L V2 450 size GPS Stabilized Helicopter is unlike any RC helicopter you’ve flown before! This innovative aircraft combines the sport capabilities of a 450 size helicopter with the rock-solid stability of a GPS-stabilized flight control system. Similar to high-end drones, this system links with GPS satellites in orbit to maintain positional awareness at all times. Sold as an RTF ("Ready To Fly") package, this Fly Wing 450L V2 includes almost everything you need to fly except batteries. All radio programming is completed at the factory for you. The modular design makes it easy to repair and Motion RC carries a full range of spare parts at an affordable price.

Featuring a carbon fiber frame, dual brushless motors, wire-free quick-disconnect tail boom, a high precision flybarless flight controller, and Omni H1 GPS technology, and a long flight duration of 8-13 minutes on an economical 4s LiPo battery, the 450L V2 is the perfect helicopter for intermediate pilots looking for a casual trainer that can also push the envelope toward sportier flying.

User Friendly 3D Flight
    New to 3D flight? No problem! The onboard GPS system and included radio transmitter is pre-programmed with switches that will fly auto-piloted maneuvers like One-Touch Startup, One-Touch Takeoff, Hands-Free Figure 8s, Hands-Free Position Hold, and One-Touch Return To Home and Automatic Landing. Our favorite feature is Inverted Hover with the simple flick of a switch, which remains GPS-stabilized for a stable, hands-off hover. This is the only RTF helicopter in the world with this special feature, and is unlockable via the included software.
    RTF - "Ready To Fly"
    This RTF ("Ready To Fly") package arrives with everything needed to fly except batteries for the radio transmitter. The helicopter, radio transmitter, battery charger, basic tools, and user guide are all included in the box. Read the manual, install the blades, plug in the tool-less tail boom, charge the battery, calibrate the GPS for your location, then conduct your pre-flight tests and start flying!
    Modular Design
    Unlike like conventional belt-driven or tube-driven tail booms with many moving parts that create vibration and increase the risk of component damage, the Fly Wing 450L V2 features a brushless tail motor design that facilitates a wire-free, quick-disconnect clamp with zero moving parts! This design results in a noticeably quieter helicopter with lower vibration and longer component life. The extruded aluminum tail boom can be removed in seconds for easy takedown and convenient transport.
    Durable and Stable
    The CNC-finished metal main rotor assembly and linkage layout is configured like larger class helicopters, positioning servos in optimal positions for mechanical advantage. The frame is laser cut from high strength aviation grade carbon fiber that resists twisting, and the durable landing skids’ widened stance improves clearance and stability when operating from firm, clear, and clean surfaces.
    Powerful and Consistent
    The large 2816 brushless main drive motor is paired with an integrated 16V 60A ESC to provide plentiful power for all appropriate flight maneuvers. The 450L V2 responds quickly and maintains consistent power and speed during 3D flight. We are especially impressed by the power system’s efficiency with an economical Admiral 4s 2200mAh LiPo battery with XT60 connector, which is perfectly sized to fit and CG. This Admiral battery is recommended as a spare to the included flight battery, to keep you flying back to back flights of fun!
    Reliable Radio Control
    Featuring a modern 2.4GHz 10 channel radio transmitter, the 450L V2 can be operated near other RC vehicles without risk of losing signal. Conveniently, all of the basic flight mixes and functions are pre-programmed at the factory for you. Like any GPS-equipped flight system, the helicopter requires a one-time, ~15 second GPS calibration process that calibrates itself for your specific geographic region to improve the GPS’ accuracy. For advanced pilots, the expansive user manual includes instructions to unlock additional programming features via the radio’s convenient touchscreen LCD display.
    Features:
    • User friendly GPS-assisted flight modes including One-Touch Takeoff and Automatic Landing via included pre-programmed radio transmitter
    • RTF ("Ready To Fly") convenience with simple computer calibration and one minute physical assembly
    • Modular “quick-detach” metal tail boom requiring no tools or maintenance
    • Dual Brushless Direct Drive Motor design eliminates 90% of moving parts for less vibration, less setup, and longer lifespan
    Includes:
    • Fly Wing 450L V2 450 Size GPS Stabilized Helicopter - RTF
    • 2.4GHz radio and receiver
    • Charger
    • Flight battery
    Requires:
    • Four (4) AA batteries for the radio transmitter
    Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL : 14 and up
    SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
    BUILD TIME : 10 minutes

Class / Size 450 Size
    Power Type Electric
    Rotor Type Collective Pitch
    Body Material Plastic
    Overall Size (L x W x H) 680mm (26.8") x 120mm (4.7") x 220mm (8.7")
    Flying Weight 768g
    Main Rotor Diameter 810mm / 31.9"
    Main Rotor Blade Length 360mm / 14.2"
    Tail Rotor Diameter 125mm / 4.9"
    Tail Rotor Blade Length N/A
    Tail Drive Type Brushless Motor
    Cyclic Servos N/A
    Tail Servo N/A
    Power System 2816 Brushless Motor
    Electronic Speed Control 60A
    Recommended Battery Admiral 4s 2200mAh with XT60 connector
    Battery Compartment Size (L x W x H) N/A
    Required Radio 2.4GHz Radio (Included)
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 10 minutes
    Recommended Environment Outdoors

Excited to get this to the field/studio! Has anyone here seen it fly or own it themselves?

Comment

Are there any setup videos for the helicopter ?
      I looked at the H1 manual , but the link to a video is in Chinese.

Comment

Nice video today James Any idea if there are.any scale conversions.that might be compatible.with this heli?

Comment

If I were to renew my interest in helis, this one would be the inspiration. But it’s a bit pricey even though it offers a lot for the money. I have an Eflite quad with all the same features. Very easy to fly but in spite of that, I’ve gotten a bit bored with it. I fear I may get bored with this model as well. I have a brand new scale fuselage (Augusta) for a 450 that I never installed onto my old E325 (Thunder Tiger Mini Titan). If I thought it would fit onto this Fly Wing, I’d be more inclined to take the leap. Might be time to dig it up and see how it attaches.

Comment

Rats! I ordered this helicopter Monday and today it was delivered, or so I thought. In an obviously too small box was a RotorScale Firefox 250, an $80 micro heli. I'm sure Motion will take care of this but unfortunately the Fly Wing 450L now shows out of stock. Anyone else receive the wrong helicopter? Maybe some lucky person received my Fly Wing instead of the Firefox they actually ordered, haha!

Comment

Watched a few videos on this heli. To set this thing up, it shows that you have to do the GPS/compass calibration outside with it hooked up to a laptop. What if one doesn’t have a Windows based laptop? I can’t haul my desktop outside and my laptop is a Mac, which won’t work the programmer. Does that mean I need to buy a PC laptop or just not have this heli?

Comment

I had a similar dilemma last year with the need to program various components not possible with my IPad. Ended up buying a Lenovo Windows laptop on sale at Best Buy for $100 which did the job, barely. Not much help, but worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                  Nice video today James Any idea if there are.any scale conversions.that might be compatible.with this heli?
                  I hope this is the start of more scale heli pnp's with this feature for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    Watched a few videos on this heli. To set this thing up, it shows that you have to do the GPS/compass calibration outside with it hooked up to a laptop. What if one doesn’t have a Windows based laptop? I can’t haul my desktop outside and my laptop is a Mac, which won’t work the programmer. Does that mean I need to buy a PC laptop or just not have this heli?
                    Ask a friend first? If you plan on flying this heli at your club or the same spot mostly, then maybe they can meet you there, do the GPS calibration and it will stay that way for your field. I brought it back to my field since and didn't bring my laptop again

Comment

Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
                      I had a similar dilemma last year with the need to program various components not possible with my IPad. Ended up buying a Lenovo Windows laptop on sale at Best Buy for $100 which did the job, barely. Not much help, but worked for me.
                      That is an option but I doubt I can find a laptop that cheap with Windows 10 on it. Nevertheless, I am reticent to spend another X hundred $$$ just to be able to fly this model. Such a laptop would have very little use for me for any other purpose. As it stands, shipped from Motion to my door, this is already going to be almost $800.00 CAN.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

Ask a friend first? If you plan on flying this heli at your club or the same spot mostly, then maybe they can meet you there, do the GPS calibration and it will stay that way for your field. I brought it back to my field since and didn't bring my laptop again
                        This is also another option and I may consider it. I'm not willing to ask a friend to load a program onto his laptop that he doesn't know about. We all know this download is "probably" safe, but it's hard to ask a friend to trust that it won't do something weird to his laptop. I'll poke around to see if anyone I know has an older laptop that isn't too important to them.
                        I'm really beginning to like the idea of this heli. I never was able to actually "fly" any of my previous CP helis and I got bored with just hovering around for years.

James, any idea of when Motion will get these back in stock? I see one of the "Amazon-like" sellers in China just got them back in stock (price also went up from a few weeks ago) but I'd rather buy this one from Motion.

Comment

Originally posted by soareyes View Post
                          Rats! I ordered this helicopter Monday and today it was delivered, or so I thought. In an obviously too small box was a RotorScale Firefox 250, an $80 micro heli. I'm sure Motion will take care of this but unfortunately the Fly Wing 450L now shows out of stock. Anyone else receive the wrong helicopter? Maybe some lucky person received my Fly Wing instead of the Firefox they actually ordered, haha!
                          As expected, Motion made good on the mistake and sent me the correct helicopter which arrived today. Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting it in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by soareyes View Post

As expected, Motion made good on the mistake and sent me the correct helicopter which arrived today. Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting it in the air.
                            You must have gotten the last one they had. They're still out of stock. Let us know how much "setting up" you needed to do to get it ready for its maiden.

Comment

With regards to the Spektrum serial rx 4651t, do I still need the converter cable from Fly Wing for the one wire bus?. What does it do?

Comment

I set up my NX10 with the FW450.
                                I'm using an Orange 9 ch CPPM receiver.
                                I get the green LED indicating that it's calibrated and receiving GPS sats.
                                When I pull both sticks down and out the green LED never goes to blinking .
                                All switches and sticks are working properly, but I can't get the motor to start.
                                I calibrated the sticks in the software, but the motor won't start.

Any ideas?

Comment

I bought my fw450 from Helidirect on 12/28 and I have flown it 4 times and I have yet to do the calibration on the unit. I dont know if that is a bad thing but I am able to fly it in front of my house and at my fly field and it has no problem in the GPS mode or the 3D mode at all. I dont know if I really need to do the calibration on it since it has been working right out of the box with no issues. I get GPS lock on the unit just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy787 View Post
                                    I bought my fw450 from Helidirect on 12/28 and I have flown it 4 times and I have yet to do the calibration on the unit. I dont know if that is a bad thing but I am able to fly it in front of my house and at my fly field and it has no problem in the GPS mode or the 3D mode at all. I dont know if I really need to do the calibration on it since it has been working right out of the box with no issues. I get GPS lock on the unit just fine.
                                    Have you tried the "return home" yet? I'm wondering if it knows where "home" is without the compass calibration. I take it that it does the "position hold" well?

Comment

Yeah it does hold the position well all hands off no issues. It also returns to the spot that the heli got GPS lock just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy787 View Post
                                        Yeah it does hold the position well all hands off no issues. It also returns to the spot that the heli got GPS lock just fine.
                                        Nice! I guess the calibration procedure is for "just in case". I use the Bigaole Return to Home module in all my sailplanes and never have I had to do any GPS calibration on them. They just secure the satellites and simply works.

Comment

Working...
                                        X