X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Roban 700 Size UH-60 Black Hawk Scale Helicopter ARF Thread

US Army UH-60 Black Hawk 700 Size Scale Helicopter ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) from Roban - RBN-SFUH60-7S

Click image for larger version

Name:	Matthew Barrett (3).jpg
Views:	1283
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	345509
    Photo Credit Matthew Barrett

The UH-60 Black Hawk is a four-bladed, twin-engine, medium-lift utility helicopter. Named after the Native American war leader Black Hawk, the UH-60A entered service with the U.S. Army in 1979, to replace the UH-1 Iroquois as the Army's tactical transport helicopter. This was followed by the fielding of electronic warfare and special operations variants of the Black Hawk. Improved UH-60L and UH-60M utility variants have also been developed. Modified versions have also been developed for the U.S. Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard. In addition to U.S. Army use, the UH-60 family has been exported to several nations. Black Hawks have served in combat during conflicts in Grenada, Panama, Iraq, Somalia, the Balkans, Afghanistan, and other areas in the Middle East.

This is the Roban UH-60 Black Hawk Scale 700 ARF in US Army color scheme, a premium scale kit that offers unparalleled detail. From tip-to-tail the UH-60 body kit displays an accuracy of detail to the real aircraft not normally seen in the RC helicopter hobby.

This kit comes with a full scale illuminated detail cockpit with dashboard, joysticks, rudder pedals, aerials, windshield wipers and more. Full rear cabin interiors are included (not installed). Floor and ceiling details can be crafted so once the interiors are installed you have an impressively scaled cockpit/interior.

These scale kits house the cockpit in precisely the right location and the mechanics are built into the engine compartment just like in the full scale version. The UH-60 really impresses with the highly detailed and accurately scaled down profile.

Features:
    • 4 Blade rotorhead and scale carbon fiber rotor blades
    • 4 Tail blade head and scale carbon fiber tail blades
    • Extremely detailed surface with molded panel lines and rivets
    • Completely illuminated scale cockpit
    • Complete built In / partially pre-installed position lighting system (Controlled via AUX channel)
    • Special CCPM mechanics built in the top section like the full scale
    • Take off weight of 8.5kg (approximately double of a 700 3D helicopter)
    • 1700mm long, 1/8 scale
    Includes:
    • Roban UH-60 Black Hawk Scale 700 scale body
    • Full 700 size helicopter mechanics
    • 4 Carbon fiber rotor blades
    • 4 Carbon fiber tail blades
    • Complete illuminated scale cockpit
    • Complete built In / partially pre-installed position lighting system
    Requires:Important Information - Please Read
    Roban Scale Helicopters are intended for modelers who have advanced level building skills. Both ARF and KIT product formats require you to install your own electronics (ESC, servos, motor, etc). KIT product formats also require you to install your own helicopter mechanics. Because helicopter mechanics can vary greatly in size and shape, you may be required to modify the fuselage slightly (including cutting, drilling, etc.) to achieve a perfect fit. Roban fuselages are all handmade from fiberglass and therefore may have slight variation in tolerances between body panels, doors, or windows. These variations do not affect flight performance and can be easily adjusted by an experienced builder with proper tools. These precautions are intended for novice builders; an experienced modeler should have no issue achieving perfect results with these premiere scale helicopters kits.

Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL: 18 and up
    SKILL LEVEL: Expert
    BUILD TIME: 4+ hours

Class / Size 700
    Power Type Electric
    Rotor Type Collective Pitch
    Body Material Fiberglass
    Overall Size (L x W x H) 1910 x 620 x 435mm
    Flying Weight 8500g
    Main Rotor Diameter 1560mm
    Main Rotor Blade Length 700mm
    Tail Rotor Diameter 280mm
    Tail Rotor Blade Length 105mm
    Tail Drive Type Torque Tube
    Cyclic Servos 3x Metal Gear
    Tail Servo 1x Metal Gear
    Power System 450Kv Brushless Motor
    Electronic Speed Control 120A High Voltage with EC5 Connector
    Recommended Battery 2x 6S 22.2V 5000 mAh LiPo with EC5 Connector (in series for 12S)
    Battery Compartment Size (L x W x H) N/A
    Required Radio 7 Channel
    Skill Level Expert
    Build Time 4+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I have been having the pleasure of piecing one of these together recently.

I ran into a potential issue / misunderstanding on Step 4 of the manual (no difference between digital and paper manual in this case): The linkage rod lengths are specified to be adjusted to 81mm, 112mm, and 81mm. With the linkage rods that came pre-connected to the main rotor assembly, I do not see how any of them can be adjusted to either 81mm or 112mm from "uniball center to uniball center."

The main three issues I am seeing are:
    1. All three of the linkage rods are about 80mm in length without the uniball link caps; Adding the caps makes it impossible to twist / adjust any of the rods down to 81mm from uniball center to uniball center -- UNLESS I am completely misunderstanding the demand here, but the manual's images seem to support what I am measuring
    2. Adjusting any of the linkage rods to 112mm seems equally impossible since attempting this will unscrew both uniball link caps before it reaches 112mm uniball center to uniball center
    3. All three of the linkage rods are equally about 80mm in length, but when I look at the "Roban 700/800 Lever Rod Set" sold online (MotionRC) it looks like that is sold with two separate sets of rods at the same length and one longer rod. This may be nothing, since it includes two much smaller rods that do not appear to be used with the UH-60 and so maybe it is entirely NA in this case
    All of this to say, could I, in fact, be misunderstanding the measuring request? In the attached photo, the two red lines represent the end-to-end length, uniball center to uniball center, that I am measuring. The blue line is the metal rod itself that is about 80mm long. (all three)

Alternatively, could it be that I received three linkage rods of the incorrect length necessary for adjustment?

Even further alternatively, could the specifications intended for the linkage rods be different from what is listed in the manual??? I checked the HH-60 manual as well and it appears to have the same measurement for the linkage rods.

Welcoming all guidance or suggestions.

(For the two 81mm rods, I suppose I could cut the rods down so that they might be adjustable down to 81mm from center-to-center, as I can get them safely down to about 91mm as it is... But I primarily want to make sure I'm not totally misunderstanding this)

(The digital UH-60 manual from Roban can be found at https://www.robanmodel.com/file-share)

(The Roban 700/800 Lever Rod set I mentioned is at https://www.motionrc.com/products/ro...13986193047665)
    Attached Files

Comment

Suggested lengths are just that...suggested and are incorrect
      Just center your servos and level the levers so they are 90* and adjust length that way
      I could measure mine, but I moved them to the outside for geometry.
      Also make sure your servos don't bottom out, I had to shim them up.

Comment

Okay, very cool; I guess this should have been sort of intuitive, considering the goal, but being my first kit of this size / first Roban kit, I didn't want to ignore potential exact specifications. I shall move forward!

Yep I had to shim the servos too, using DS1220s; I used 5mm shims that seem to give adequate clearance.

Thank you kindly for your quick feedback!

Comment

So those lengths are for the old servo system, which you really don't see nowadays with new purchases. This is the recommended settings with the new lever Click image for larger version

Name:	New Lever Mechanism.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	394935

Comment

See the lever set with the blue circle around it- if yours looks like that, then you have then style and should the 96mm settings to start with.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	upgraded lever set.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	394937

Comment

Sweet! Thank you so much for that reply as well, sfcfury -- I ended up 'eye balling' the rods in place initially based off thebirdman's feedback, which resulted in the rods being 96mm in length across the board, which further seems to match up with your new servo specifications. (yay) Ultimately the middle rod was adjusted just slightly longer to compensate for a very small but noticeable pitch that it seemed to have while at 96mm length and the servo being at 90 degrees. I attached pictures of what my lever set looks like (identical to the one you posted -- so the newer version) and what I ended up aiming to have level-ish with the rods in place at their respective lengths / angles.

Hopefully this looks / sounds like it is correct, now. It seems to function and make mechanical sense, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by dudeface View Post
                Sweet! Thank you so much for that reply as well, sfcfury -- I ended up 'eye balling' the rods in place initially based off thebirdman's feedback, which resulted in the rods being 96mm in length across the board, which further seems to match up with your new servo specifications. (yay) Ultimately the middle rod was adjusted just slightly longer to compensate for a very small but noticeable pitch that it seemed to have while at 96mm length and the servo being at 90 degrees. I attached pictures of what my lever set looks like (identical to the one you posted -- so the newer version) and what I ended up aiming to have level-ish with the rods in place at their respective lengths / angles.

Hopefully this looks / sounds like it is correct, now. It seems to function and make mechanical sense, at least.
                Looks good to me, as sfcfury said, you have to do some dialing in on those rods, I wouldn't worry to much about what instructions say as we all have changed measurements anyway, just focus on getting the 90° setup.
                I have built five Roban kits and the new kits have better geometry, I had to two older kits and the geometry is not as good but seem to fly fine, and just in case you build another one, the KST 2208 HV servos don't need shims and can handle 8.4v no problem.

Comment

DCORSAIR Thank you! Very good to know about the KST 2208 HVs, I shall note that for any potential future kits or upgrades to this one. The help and guidance here has been tremendous.

Comment

Hi all! This is my first Roban build. I would like to know where people are mounting their flight batteries. I have 2x 6S 5000 mah packs. They won’t both fit in the front balsa tray. I could potential place one battery there and another on the underside, held with Velcro and strapped in common with the top battery, however that seems like asking for trouble in the event of a crash. And advice that you can provide would be much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                    X