Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else getting sick of this drone BS?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else getting sick of this drone BS?

It seems that certain brainless people have been using their drones in an unsafe and offensive manner that has unfortunately drawn the unwanted attention of the feds. I for one do not blame the whole drone community, as I’m sure the vast majority of drone pilots operate their models safety and within the law. But now that the FAA has gotten involved, I resent the fact that they are dragging fixed wing pilots into this fray. It is much like when a firearm is used illegally, all law abiding gun owners are dragged along and lumped into a group with a bad reputation, hence legal gun owners support the NRA to help protect their rights to own firearms. I encourage all drone pilots to join the AMA ( Academy of Model Aeronautics) as they are the only national organization that is fighting and lobbying for our hobby / livelihood. And please, if you see anyone operating a R/C model in an unsafe manor, call them out or report it to the proper authorities.

Originally posted by Beachsideflyer View Post
    It seems that certain brainless people have been using their drones in an unsafe and offensive manner that has unfortunately drawn the unwanted attention of the feds. I for one do not blame the whole drone community, as I’m sure the vast majority of drone pilots operate their models safety and within the law. But now that the FAA has gotten involved, I resent the fact that they are dragging fixed wing pilots into this fray. It is much like when a firearm is used illegally, all law abiding gun owners are dragged along and lumped into a group with a bad reputation, hence legal gun owners support the NRA to help protect their rights to own firearms. I encourage all drone pilots to join the AMA ( Academy of Model Aeronautics) as they are the only national organization that is fighting and lobbying for our hobby / livelihood. And please, if you see anyone operating a R/C model in an unsafe manor, call them out or report it to the proper authorities.
    Not sure where you have been for the last 10 years or so. I feel they have gotten better in the last few years. Yes there are still many stupid people out there but I feel there are far fewer now then just a few years ago. Yes I agree they just about killed the hobby. Even the public tends to hate them. I can fly a 700 size gas helicopter in a public park (I dont do that very often for many reasons) and the local police and public think its' cool and leave me alone. Fire up a 250 quad and the same police/public will shut you down and threaten to arrest you.

Comment

Yup! It's all because any idiot can operate a drone so that right there brought out the worst in people. Privacy issues and collisions were the two reasons the FAA decided that enough is enough. The main reason though, is the fact that those same idiots or more and other idiots decided to fly their drones in front of "on-coming" aircraft getting way to close which I think a couple of them have already struck a couple of planes only to do minor damage like a few scrapes or whatever,... these are the two main reasons for the laws and the FAA to take it where it is now.

The real and only reason the majority of the public hate drones is simple... it's because they are known to have one little thing on the nose and that's the fact they have a camera. People hate all the riff raff about Big Brother and the government with their spy satellites not knowing who is really watching them and feeling like their privacy has been invaded and then when drones came out that anyone could buy from their local Best Buy or online knowing they have these little camera's,... well that just hit the last nerve with the public.

This is why some have gone as far as shooting them down and others have called the police on many occasions.... it's all about the privacy and colliding with other aircraft which could cause multiple fatalities and all because of idiots who think they are toys and think it's cool to take one 5 miles high for the kick of it but they don't think about what could happen if things got out of control or there's a collision or if it crashes into a house or hit's someone causing injury.... people will think of it as a privacy intrusion even if it was just flying by.

----------------------------------

Here's a bit of information for those who think it's OK to shoot at a drone causing it to crash or causing damage to itself or property after the incident.

Comment

The vast majority have no idea what the rules or laws are.

Comment

I’m a Part 107 pilot and RC fixed wing pilot. I was in the hobby in the 80s and 90s, then got out, then got into drones, then I made it my business and got back into the RC hobby.

Most of what you’re saying here is correct. Many of the rules are because of the drones. That said, it’s not all about unsafe pilots. The technology has just expanded so quickly. Most pilots now at least a rudimentary understanding of the rules. And we shouldn’t blame drone pilots (even the uneducated ones) for the Feds acting like Feds. They always go “Full R*****” and try to take over everything. The whole Remote ID thing is an example. At least they came up with FRIA.

Oh, and if you’re pissed at the FAA, you should see what it’s like to try to get a waiver to fly in the DCNFZ even as a licensed remote pilot.

Comment

Yeah I look at it as "it is what it is" and we can't change it so mind as well join 'em! The laws for drones and if it gets any worse for RC then so be it. I also have my commercial license and carry the two papers with me that is required of the online (FAA TRUST test and Registration copies) so i'm not worried one bit. Been a member of AMA since 1981 too so I'm good with all this stuff. Hey if you follow the restrictions and abide by the FAA rules then you won't have any problems and if someone calls the cops or whatever they will get an education when they show up because I'll only be flying in an area or in a way that won't be breaking any rules so more power to 'em! Learn!!!

Comment

I fly when and where I want. No associations ,rules or clubs.I am on a 100 acre farm

Comment

Working...
              X