X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Road to NEFI

Hey guys and girls, well, here we are after two days of traveling at our first lay over on the road to NEFI!
    The first stop is Shawano, Wisconsin where I'm taking a four day aerobatics course with Dave Scott at the 1st US R/C flight School
    Too much fun!!
    I'll keep you all informed as to how it goes, but after last years course with Dave, I expect a great experience will be had!!
    Pics and info will be coming each night so you all can see/participate in the experience.

Grossman56 and Mrs Grossman
    Team Gross!

Have fun Dan!!!
    Lauren

Comment

Thanks Lauren, we will, I'm pics to an acceptable size for the forum, but I'm downloading sure, stay tuned. Thought I'd run into a snag because I have to shrink all the Photoshop Element right now. Good thing I thought of that!

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

I'm counting the days Gman. Did some checking out of how all i want to take to NEFI will fit in the Traverse. 3 days work then planning to head to Muncie.
        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Can't wait to meet you in person Lon! Seems strange that we haven't met as we have been online bud's for quite awhile. This is going to be one of those memorable trips. I'm also going to be interested in what the vendors are going to be showing. Being stuck in Wyoming, there isn't a lot of chances to see some to the planes live. really looking forward to seeing the P 38 and the the Spitfire. Sounds like Ben and Charlie will be there as well. Mike and Ryan for sure and some of the guys from Motion R/C. Apparently they're donating a bunch of things for raffle prizes and giveaways.
          My only question is if I win something, where the heck do I put it!! The truck is that tight.
          Had to pull wings off the P 40, the Pandora and My Little Gal. The Apprentice comes apart of course so it wasn't a problem, but the Pitts doesn't break down at all, so...
          I'm hoping that I'll have time to get pictures of the Pitts with Dave's full sized plane. I hinted around at a cover pic for Model Airplane News and Dave thought there was a good chance. Too Cool!
          It'll be great to get your opinion of My Little Gal. I really had to add a fair amount of weight to get her to balance out.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

I have chose to pull the trailer. That way I will have plenty of room to stash all the goodies I win. ;)

Comment

Hi all!
              Well, first day of class was great! We were flying in some pretty stiff winds (est 30 mph) and did okay. We're flying the good old Sticks and this is the first time I've flown one of the old classics and a great plane it is.
              Diane probably took two hundred pictures so sit back...no, only kidding, I wouldn't put you through the 21st equivalent of home movies!
              Here's just a few so I can prove that I really am here!
              Stay tuned, Dave just got back from a full scale competition this morning as he couldn't fly in last night due to weather. He's really jacked about getting pictures of my Pitts and his together, just wants a chance to clean it up first.
              Those are going to be priceless pictures!!

Grossman56 on the Road
              Team Gross!

Comment

That sounds challenging Gman. I'll bet your having a great time. Keep the updates coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                  Hi all!
                  Well, first day of class was great! We were flying in some pretty stiff winds (est 30 mph) and did okay. We're flying the good old Sticks and this is the first time I've flown one of the old classics and a great plane it is.
                  Diane probably took two hundred pictures so sit back...no, only kidding, I wouldn't put you through the 21st equivalent of home movies!
                  Here's just a few so I can prove that I really am here!
                  Stay tuned, Dave just got back from a full scale competition this morning as he couldn't fly in last night due to weather. He's really jacked about getting pictures of my Pitts and his together, just wants a chance to clean it up first.
                  Those are going to be priceless pictures!!

Grossman56 on the Road
                  You guys look COLD!!!
                  Lauren

Comment

Hey guys and gals!
                    Just got back from day two. It was cold this morning!!53 degrees for most of it, finally the sun came out. We flew 'til 4 this afternoon and had a great tim​​​​​​e. ​Everyone's at their own skill level so its great to observe others as well as fly yourself.
                    Worked on perfecting a number of maneuvers and am going to walk away from this much more informed...
                    Stay tuned !!

Grossman56 and Mrs Grossman on the Road
                    Team Gross!

Comment

53!! Wow! That's March weather! Did it at least get in the 60's later?
                      Lauren

Comment

Hey Lauren, yeah it finally got warmer in the afternoon, about 68 or so. Windy all day and I got a pretty good burn on my face, more wind burn than sun. Just got back from breakfast and getting ready to head out for day three. Beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky, touch wood, and the wind is down to hardly nothing. Finally!
                        It's always interesting how, at home, if the wind was as stiff as it has been here, we wouldn't have even gone to the field let alone take the chance. Here, we're up there flying and finding out its not as difficult as we were imagining it to be.
                        The course is going well and I'm picking up a lot of good tips, so its been well worth it. One fellow who is in the course came all the way from Seattle and has been here five times. He's in advanced aerobatics and its pretty cool to watch him go through his practice to get a maneuver down.
                        I'm perfecting my Immelmans and Cuban eights, halves, wholes and reversed. All while maintaining parallel lines. Its a challenge but not as hard as you think. Corrections are a no no, Dave focuses more on getting each step of the maneuver correct in the first place rather than getting into a habit of relying on correcting.
                        By not correcting you know, by the result, what was wrong. For instance, wings weren't level when entering the maneuver.

Let me state again, anyone who can, should seriously consider taking courses with Dave, he is EXCELLENT!

Grossman56 and MrsGrossman,
                        On the Road
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Hello Gman,
                          I have been conspicuously quiet about the NEFI event because I wasn't sure if I could make it happen. Am letting you know that you WILL get to see "Warbirds" fleet (well at least half of it) in person. Am making the 600 mile hump west with the rolling hangar in tow tomorrow morning. Looking forward to meeting you and any other Squawk members that will be there.
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                            Hello Gman,
                            I have been conspicuously quiet about the NEFI event because I wasn't sure if I could make it happen. Am letting you know that you WILL get to see "Warbirds" fleet (well at least half of it) in person. Am making the 600 mile hump west with the rolling hangar in tow tomorrow morning. Looking forward to meeting you and any other Squawk members that will be there.
                            How cool!!!! Charlie road trip!
                            Lauren

Comment

See you there Charlie!
                              Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                              Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon View Post
                                See you there Charlie!
                                Lon......look forward to meeting you too!

Lauren....road trips are always cool, I'm way overdue on doing one and am stoked for going to this event.
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Oh so cool Charlie, I was really hoping you were coming but didn't want to push the issue. Lon, Charlie, Ryan, Mike me and Diane, so far, some of the guys from Motion R/C as well I'm thinking. This is going to be great. We're off to Muncie on Friday morning from Shawano. Hope to get out on the road by 0700, and its supposed to be an 8 hour trip so figure it from there. If we're there at a reasonable time, we'll be heading to the field to check things out. Saturday/Sunday will be my days to fly as most of the fleet will have to be assembled and then disassembled to put back in the truck overnight.
                                  We'll have to make sure were all in the same area. I have Lon's and Ryan's phone number. I posted our cell number previously on this thread so grab it if you don't already have it.
                                  What an awesome vacation!!!
                                  We're on the Road to NEFI, sounds like a Hope/Crosby movie.

Grossman56 and Mrs Grossman (or 'mom' as they're calling her at flight school)
                                  On the Road
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Here's some pictures of today's session. tomorrow we're going over to the airport to get some shots of the My Pitts together with Dave's.
                                    My buddy Perry is from Seattle. He's having a time trying to find a new/different field to fly from, anyone have any ideas?

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Sounds like y'all are having a great time. I'm not sure but I'm thinking the best is yet to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                        Here's some pictures of today's session. tomorrow we're going over to the airport to get some shots of the My Pitts together with Dave's.
                                        My buddy Perry is from Seattle. He's having a time trying to find a new/different field to fly from, anyone have any ideas?

Grossman56
                                        Yay! Back to shirt sleeves! Drive safe you all!
                                        Lauren

Comment

Working...
                                        X