X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to Land an RC Aircraft

For those who have been watching our live show, the past 2 weeks we started to tackle the subject of properly landing an RC aircraft with US Air Force Reserve Major Patrick Croasdale who is a member of our local flying club and a good friend. In this thread I want to update this main post with all the info we have shared and any time we get back to it.

So the first video was an in-studio talk about proper technique. You can watch that here:

Then at the beginning of this episode, Patrick and I were at the field with his F-22 and he started to demonstrate the technique we discuss in the studio the week prior. Watch that here:

As we get out to the field more with different aircraft we will update those videos here. Our next intent is a taildragger warbird in the same vain as the F-22 demonstration so stay tuned.

Also, for everyone who wanted that powerpoint presentation that Patrick made, I am attaching it here as well as a PDF file. Its great info that can help all the trainers at local flying clubs.
    Attached Files

Hi James, thanks for the landings PDF. It has gone down extremely well at my club here in Queensland OZ. Appreciate your time in the preparation. Thanks again.
    Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by M1110 View Post
      Hi James, thanks for the landings PDF. It has gone down extremely well at my club here in Queensland OZ. Appreciate your time in the preparation. Thanks again.
      Dave.
      Awesome Dave! Glad to hear it. Hope it helps everyone who needs it.

On this week's show Patrick is back for a taildragger demo.

Comment

Hello James!

I thank you and Patrick so much for that lessons. I am in rc model flying for lots of years but there is always additional stuff I can learn from.

As I wrote at the yt comment: Could you please do a Learn to land pt.4 for crosswind landings? That would be very nice, because we have very often such conditions. Starts and landings are more or less critical depending on the airplane type if you have crosswinds. Also interesting for me is how to handle wind gusts at start and landing.

Thank you in advance
        Frank

Comment

Thanks for the PDF😀

Comment

Back with another segment on today's live show. This time we play a little monkey see, monkey do with the FlightLine OV-10 which is a great beginner style warbird. Join us!

Comment

I'd like to see Patrick do a segment discussing and demonstrating dead stick landings.

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                I'd like to see Patrick do a segment discussing and demonstrating dead stick landings.
                Great idea ridge runner, but a dead stick landing is always an unforeseen event. Sure it can be mimicked by just not throttling up, but the true key to a successful dead stick landing is all luck. If your motor cuts and you have enough altitude to be able to gather some airspeed in your decent, then you will be a happy camper. But if you were already low and slow and your power cuts out, it will be a harder time. I have had a few in my day and rule #1 for me is usually to keep your landing gear closed. More than likely you will be landing hot and not on your runway, so it becomes a little game in your head that more than likely you will break something, so might as well try to minimize the damage.

Comment

I can’t find the pdf.

Comment

It’s in the first post at the top of this page…

Comment

Thank you Evan

Comment

You’re very welcome. And welcome to the forum!

Comment

Working...
                        X